battery swaps

jay_imok

Newly Enlightened
Q: is there a replacement battery for a "regular" size D, but with the power of a "surefire" type battery (C123???)

if the surefire battery is so powerful at its size, a D cell size would be wicked bright

this probably betrays how little i know about this stuff, but i'm good with it!

thanks

Marduke

Flashaholic
There are D size Li-Ion cells, but they are expensive, and rather dangerous for a novice user. It's like owning an electronic hand grenade.

Using NiMH D cells, or even carriers with multiple AA NiMH cells are more common.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A D sized battery has much more capacity then a CR123 battery.

D battery, 1.5v * 20 Ah = 30 Watt/hour
CR123, 3v * 1.5 Ah = 4.5 Watt/hour.

But a lithium battery is lighter, and is capable of delivering more amps then the equivalent capacity of alkaline battery.

I'd suggest checking out the Electronics section (batteries included)

Output also doesn't have to do with what the battery is capable of. A CR123 battery powering a 5mm LED at max recommended current won't be as bright as an AA battery powering a High power LED at 350 mA.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's true though, a D size cell with CR123A chemistry would pack a lot of punch. It would also cost about four times as much if manufactured in the same large quantities, maybe twenty times as much if only produced as a small volume specialty item.

I don't see it happening, but it is amusing to think about.

bguy

Newly Enlightened
It would be best if you read a battery primer, since there are different chemistries each having their own voltage, and other characteristics. I can't find any good links to any, maybe someone else has one.

A "Surefire" type of battery is a 3 volt cr123. There are rechargeable batteries in the same size called 16340 or rcr123, but they are 3.6V. An Alkaline D cell is 1.5V, so 2 of them would equal 1 cr123 in voltage, and exceed it in capacity, weight, and size.

It's all a balancing act. A bulb/LED (or driver circuit) needs certain voltages. You need to balance the voltage needed with the amount of weight or size of light. Too little of voltage, and the light doesn't work, too much, and you destroy it. As you get to smaller batteries, and lights that require more power, you have another factor that comes into play, the current that the battery can deliver.

jay_imok

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the input - and the caution. probably the last thing i need is an electronic hand grenade!

gotta go now; apparently there's homework to be done