Olight
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Your Favorite Car/Driving Music?

Default What is Your Favorite Car/Driving Music?

I've spent a lot of time in my car, logging over 400,000 miles over the last 22 years. In that time, I've cruised, raced, dreamed, fumed and just driven. Here is some of my favorite car music for various moods and purposes. What are yours?

Def Leppard - Pyromania, High n Dry rock hard, drive fast
    Allman Brothers Band - Decade of hits 69-79 hitting the long road alone
    Jimi Hendrix Experience - Smash Hits that guitar, nuff said
    MC5 - Kick out the Jams 60's Detroit revo rock, earliest known use of the "mf" expletive on a record?
    Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians for inducing a trancelike state
    Kraftwerk - the Mix becoming one with the machine
    Eat Static - Crash and Burn drive hard, thumping
    Asia - Asia who else remembers this 80's supergroup?
    Tangerine Dream - Rubycon altered consciousness

I didn't include the many CDs from my Jazz and Smooth Jazz collections.

Wilkey

Default Re: What is Your Favorite Car/Driving Music?

Ah, the "thump" music:

Deep Forest
    Enigma
    Paul Okenfold mixes

Rev 'em up!
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator Roy's Avatar

Currently loaded in the CD Changer in the car.

Delbert McClinton - Room To Breathe
    John Fogerty - Blue Moon Swamp
    The Tractors - Farmers In A Changing World
    The Tractors - Fast Girl
    The Tractors - The Tractors
    Stone Country - Rolling Stones by various country artists

Mostly foot stomping Honkeytonk and Blues

Flashaholic*

Depends a lot on my mood, and sometimes the weather, for instance I just got back from a 200 mile round trip that was mostly recreational, it was on the freeway, in light to steady rain at least half the time, and I listened to a CD with the first two Bruce Hornsby albums on it for much of the trip. Very good music for driving in the rain.

Some other favorites for driving:

Tom Petty: Full Moon Fever
    Joe Satriani: anything really, they're all good IMHO
    Def Leppard: Hysteria
    Johnny Cash: anything, but his recent stuff is good
    Delbert McClinton: One of the Fortunate Few
    Mark Knopfler: Sailing to Philadelphia
    Boston: any of the first three albums
    Collective Soul: I like 'em all
    U2: any of their first seven (Boy through Rattle & Hum)
    Peter Gabriel: So, and Shaking the Tree
    Run Lola Run Soundtrack

-Keith

Ah yes, Bruce Hornesby's Mandolin Rain and The Way It Is...
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Turn up the Tom Petty and push the pedal harder! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ahhhh, early U2. Great stuff. Early Peter Gabriel, a la Genesis is also pretty good stuff.

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    zmoz said:
    Turn up the Tom Petty and push the pedal harder! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I find it impossible to resist flooring it and going well over the speed limit when "Runnin' Down A Dream" comes on. It just doesn't seem right to listen to that song and drive slow [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

-Keith

How about
    Joan Jett
    Some Blondie

My favorite station now here (not GOOD, but it was better than the rest) JUST changed formats. Yuck. I have to put a CD player in the truck

When I had a stereo in my wheelchair, I'd listen to a lot of this while on "runs" (a long time between stops):

Anthrax - Volume-8: The Threat Is Real
    Anthrax - Fistful Of Metal
    Anthrax - Persistence Of Time
    Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    Metallica - Kill 'Em All
    Metallica - Ride The Lightning
    Exciter - Violence & Force
    Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express
    Kraftwerk - The Mix
    Aldo Nova - Aldo Nova
    Digimon - The Movie Soundtrack
    Billy Squier - Don't Say No
    AC/DC - Back In Black

Ok, there's a bunch of heavy metal music there, but there's some electronic music and some nice soothing regular pop music in there too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I don't have a stereo in the chair I'm using now though, so you don't have to worry about bleeding ears (or bloody Q-tips floating in the toliet) around me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Banned

I'll agree one hundred percent with Falcon if I can also add Manheim Steamroller's Fresh Aire I and II to the list.

Well Keith and Craig named some of my favorites. I tend to listen to hard rock/metal to keep me alert. Some other favorites I like to listen to when driving...

The Black Crowes - their first one
    Metallica - Metallica (I know, it's "pop" music, but it's my favorite Metallica)
    Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti and Zeppelin IV
    ZZ-Top - almost any ZZ is good enough for me
    Van Halen - Best of Vol I
    Whitesnake - Slide It In

And that is just what comes to mind for now. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*
    NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!

One of my favorites:
    Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet (Livin' on a Prayer, Dead or Alive)
    Alice Cooper
    Metallica
    Ozzie - Most, if not all

And for Mellow Driving
    David Benoit Miles After Dark (New Age/Jazz)
    Boney James Boneyism (Smooth Jazz)
    Manheim Steamroller - Most
    Wil Smith (Extremely mild Rap/R&B mix)
    Creedence Clearwater Revival (They have always been a staple through my ever-changing and continuously evolving taste in music)
    Yes, my collection is ecclectic, as I am very open minded when it comes to all forms of music. I really do not shun any genre, as it all has its place and time, depending on the situation at hand.

Ed

Flashaholic

When driving, I usually listen to entire albums of:
    Genesis
    U2
    Jean-Michelle Jarre
    Enigma
    Van Halen (greatest hits album)
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Sarah Brightman
    Cherry Poppin Daddies
    Red Heat (an indpendent artist on MP3.com who does electronic music, go check it out, it is nice stuff)

Getting ready to head out to my astronomy club's dark sky viewing site (unfortunately, no matter how temping it might be, I won't be able to fire up my SF M3 or LC100, they would kick my a## for doing that!!!). That said, I will have these lights and a whole bunch of others along for the ride just in case I get into some kind of situation where I need some light. Some of the drive is on some dark country roads, and I always have to "test" out my lights during the drive home. Amazing how much more impressive the lights always are when you get away from some of that dreaded light pollution.

I will bringing my iPod along (connected to my car's sound system through a line-in connection of course). Got over 250 CD's (and still rooom for at least 100 more) on that little sucker! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If you love music, you really should get one of these things.

I'm going to listen to the Genesis "Wind & Wuthering" album. I have 11 Genesis CD's on the iPod, and "Wind & Wuthering" is one of my favorites. For the drive back, I will be listening to Enigma's "Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi!" album. Great music for a ride back home late at night.

It is currently 95 degrees at the site and crystal clear with a low humidity (at least for these parts) of 39%. Should be great viewing conditions tonight! Looking forward to observing the most awesome of all lights, distant galaxies over 50 million light years away and if I stay out late enough, a bit of our own Milkyway galaxy peeking above the horizon.

Wow, lot of metal fans here. Have you guys listened to Killswitch Engage? I always end up driving faster (too fast?) when listening to them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've got a wide variety of music in my car cd changer:

Fiona Apple - When The Pawn...
    Conjure One - Conjure One
    Rose Chronicles - Happily Ever After
    Til Tuesday - All Above Love
    Godsmack - Faceless
    Killswitch Engage - Killswitch Engage/Alive Or Just Breathing

Other stuff I have in the glove compartment includes:
    Anthrax
    Balligomingo
    Delerium
    DJ Miss Bliss
    Enigma
    Chris Isaak
    Judas Priest
    Led Zeppelin
    Linkin Park
    Sarah McLachlan
    Holly McNarland
    Megadeth
    Metallica
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Joe Satriani
    Slayer
    Tool
    U2
    Van Halen

Yes!!! A metalhead!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Van Halen (especially their first album), Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Anthrax, and the like. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I also like Led Zeppelin "In Through The Out Door" - if I got the artist and album title right. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I used to play Slayer, Exciter, Metallica, and Anthrax albums in the car (using a huge JVC RC-M70JW ghetto blaster on the front seat - it beat the pants off the stereo in the dash), but I don't have a car these days. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

Default Anthrax

To me, Anthrax is a local band

Funny story - not sure exactly HOW true it is. It's "possible"

I have a friend who is/was a metalhead. Back just before college (I met him in college), he played bass in a no name band that a bunch of the guys where getting together. The spring before college, they decided that they would go to Europe to try and get their break, and metal was more popular there. My friend goes to his parents to get the cash from his savings account, and is told "Nope, that money is for college". The beand drops him, and gets a new base player

The band? - Anthrax. My friend has never really forgiven his parents for that

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Anthrax

nice to see def leppard represented. most talented band from the 80's, even though they were kicking ass before then.

- tom petty
    - pantera
    - eminem
    - dr. dre
    - hank williams jr.
    - tupac
    - stone temple pilots
    - alice in chains

I respect metal as an art form, don't own much though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

KC2IXE, it's probably true, that sort of thing happens. I used to play in some bands, thats me in the middle:

I could not get the image to show up in the message for some strange and ineffable reason, so you'll have to click here

We later opened for a band that grew up to be Local-H! Too bad we didn't keep opening for them... Oh, and I got a haircut too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I am just doing up some mixes for an 8 hour car ride I've got to do in a couple of weeks. setting up a lot of good stuff.

YES
    a LOT of XTC
    Renaisance
    LOTS of Jethro Tull
    Aphex Twin
    Bela Fleck
    Boiled In Lead
    Cowboy Mouth
    David Arkenstone
    Thomas Dolby
    I play the fiddle so I've got to have people in there like Eileen Ivers and Lorenza Ponce and a little bit of Jean Luc Ponty. I like best the stuff he did with Frank Zappa.
    Garbage
    Jazzanova
    Jean Michel Jarr
    Kate Bush
    Lorena McKennit
    Midnight Oil
    Mike Oldfield
    Nickle Creek
    October Project
    Oingo Boingo
    Paul Okenfold
    Pete Townshend
    Tangerine Dream
    Rush
    Seal
    Stanly Clark
    Turtle Island String Quartet
    The modern mandolin quartet
    and lots of Vangelis

That will keep me awake for a while [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

seems that Tom Petty is getting mentioned a lot. Personally have nothing against it, I used to like it until I played "free falling" in a band one summer.

It's a funny story, so I'll tell it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The fellow organizing the thing was also the keyboard player. we rehearsed in his house, and even so he was always late. The only song we could rehearse without him was Free Falling. It has 3 chords and the pattern doesn't even change for the chorus and it just goes on and on and on and on and we played it every day for a month and this was 10 years ago and I still can't listen to it...

Super Moderator

I love the sound of silence. I never listen to music in the car except by accident or when someone else wants to listen. I enjoy music but when I am alone in a car I love the silence even more. If I must listen I would choose news followed by sixties stuff of all types, from rock to country, then classical and C&W. My wife and daughter listen constantly to C&W of soft rock.

Silence Rocks! Maybe that's why I am so cranky.

I have all sorts of things in my CD changer for whatever type of mood I'm in. I do notice that when I'm listening to metal I drive a lot faster (without noticing). For those times it's Metallica, Disturbed, Godsmack, Linkin' Park, etc. But I also have my metal ballad type mix which mellows me out as well as some other miscellaneous stuff.

Flashaholic*

Van Halen - OU812, as well as most of their other albums.
    Def Leppard - Hysteria
    Metallica - Master of Puppets
    REM - Out of Time
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Alice in Chains - Dirt
    INXS - Kick
    MTV's 120 min. - Nevermind the Mainstream CD set

These were on constant rotation in my truck at college.

Now a days I get in my truck to seek SILENCE!! Or just listen to talk radio or classical music.

[ QUOTE ]
    Ginseng said:
    I've spent a lot of time in my car, logging over 400,000 miles over the last 22 years. In that time, I've cruised, raced, dreamed, fumed and just driven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ginseng,

If you have driven over 400,000 in 22, that is a lot of car time. It's a little under 20,000 miles a year. Are you at all interested in XM Satellite radio? It's great for truckers, and people who drive a lot.

400k in 22 years is barely double than average. The guy I bought my truck from did 324K in 8 years - over 40K/year!

Flashaholic

I'm a country music fan so I'll listen to about any music from a C&W station EXCEPT The Dixie Sluts, Shania Twain, Terri Clark, Keith Urban and any other act who is anti-American or wants to end the ownership of guns.
    Hank Jr, David Allan Coe, Merle, MG, Hank Snow, George Jones, Roger Miller, Tracy Byrd, Geoge Strait, these are some of my favorites.
    George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers live is a great album for weaving through traffic at 100 mph on a Sunday afternoon.
    My eight year old daughter's favorite singer is Dean Martin. My ten year old son's is MG, Montgomery-Gentry.

Marc Cohn
    Gretchen Peters
    Isabelle Boulay
    Aimee Mann
    Michelle Shocked
    Dire Straits

Well,

It is alot of miles. Some years more than others of course. The heaviest three saw me put on over 45K per. Sad thing is, if you assume an average speed of 40 MPH, then that's 10,000 hours of my life I've blown not being where I wanted to be. Even sadder, I did most of that mileage around New England. I could have driven around the world over 10 times and gained a lot of life experience. As it is, I just commuted the time away.

Wilkey

Flashaholic*

I used to be at about 25k miles a year when I was younger and travelled more, but it is more like 15k-20k miles a year now. I estimate that I've driven 300k+ miles in the 16.5 years I've been driving.

My dad on the other hand has driven well over a million miles (and he's not a truck driver). The only new car he has ever owned was a 1980 VW Diesel Rabbit, and he put 100k miles on it the first year, and well over 300k miles on it in five years before it was wrecked.

I've usually got to have some kind of music or news on in the car, but I often have it turned off on my way into work (to psych myself up for another day at UPS), and on the way home it is usually news via the BBC, unless they are covering sports. For long trips I bring along books on tape or CD, nothing like a 10-12 hour Tom Clancy novel to keep me awake!

-Keith

My walker automatically plays the first 8 bars of "Born To Be Wild" when I go over 2 mph ...