What is Your Favorite Car/Driving Music?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've spent a lot of time in my car, logging over 400,000 miles over the last 22 years. In that time, I've cruised, raced, dreamed, fumed and just driven. Here is some of my favorite car music for various moods and purposes. What are yours?

Def Leppard - Pyromania, High n Dry rock hard, drive fast
Allman Brothers Band - Decade of hits 69-79 hitting the long road alone
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Smash Hits that guitar, nuff said
MC5 - Kick out the Jams 60's Detroit revo rock, earliest known use of the "mf" expletive on a record?
Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians for inducing a trancelike state
Kraftwerk - the Mix becoming one with the machine
Eat Static - Crash and Burn drive hard, thumping
Asia - Asia who else remembers this 80's supergroup?
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon altered consciousness

I didn't include the many CDs from my Jazz and Smooth Jazz collections.

Wilkey

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, the "thump" music:

Deep Forest
Enigma
Paul Okenfold mixes

Rev 'em up!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Currently loaded in the CD Changer in the car.

Delbert McClinton - Room To Breathe
John Fogerty - Blue Moon Swamp
The Tractors - Farmers In A Changing World
The Tractors - Fast Girl
The Tractors - The Tractors
Stone Country - Rolling Stones by various country artists

Mostly foot stomping Honkeytonk and Blues

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends a lot on my mood, and sometimes the weather, for instance I just got back from a 200 mile round trip that was mostly recreational, it was on the freeway, in light to steady rain at least half the time, and I listened to a CD with the first two Bruce Hornsby albums on it for much of the trip. Very good music for driving in the rain.

Some other favorites for driving:

Tom Petty: Full Moon Fever
Joe Satriani: anything really, they're all good IMHO
Def Leppard: Hysteria
Johnny Cash: anything, but his recent stuff is good
Delbert McClinton: One of the Fortunate Few
Mark Knopfler: Sailing to Philadelphia
Boston: any of the first three albums
Collective Soul: I like 'em all
U2: any of their first seven (Boy through Rattle & Hum)
Peter Gabriel: So, and Shaking the Tree
Run Lola Run Soundtrack

-Keith

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes, Bruce Hornesby's Mandolin Rain and The Way It Is...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

zmoz

Enlightened
Turn up the Tom Petty and push the pedal harder! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhhh, early U2. Great stuff. Early Peter Gabriel, a la Genesis is also pretty good stuff.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
zmoz said:
Turn up the Tom Petty and push the pedal harder! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I find it impossible to resist flooring it and going well over the speed limit when "Runnin' Down A Dream" comes on. It just doesn't seem right to listen to that song and drive slow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

-Keith

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
How about
Joan Jett
Some Blondie

My favorite station now here (not GOOD, but it was better than the rest) JUST changed formats. Yuck. I have to put a CD player in the truck

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
When I had a stereo in my wheelchair, I'd listen to a lot of this while on "runs" (a long time between stops):

Anthrax - Volume-8: The Threat Is Real
Anthrax - Fistful Of Metal
Anthrax - Persistence Of Time
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Metallica - Kill 'Em All
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Exciter - Violence & Force
Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express
Kraftwerk - The Mix
Aldo Nova - Aldo Nova
Digimon - The Movie Soundtrack
Billy Squier - Don't Say No
AC/DC - Back In Black

Ok, there's a bunch of heavy metal music there, but there's some electronic music and some nice soothing regular pop music in there too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't have a stereo in the chair I'm using now though, so you don't have to worry about bleeding ears (or bloody Q-tips floating in the toliet) around me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tomas

Banned
I'll agree one hundred percent with Falcon if I can also add Manheim Steamroller's Fresh Aire I and II to the list.

tomsig03.gif

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Well Keith and Craig named some of my favorites. I tend to listen to hard rock/metal to keep me alert. Some other favorites I like to listen to when driving...

The Black Crowes - their first one
Metallica - Metallica (I know, it's "pop" music, but it's my favorite Metallica)
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti and Zeppelin IV
ZZ-Top - almost any ZZ is good enough for me
Van Halen - Best of Vol I
Whitesnake - Slide It In

And that is just what comes to mind for now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
One of my favorites:
Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet (Livin' on a Prayer, Dead or Alive)
Alice Cooper
Metallica
Ozzie - Most, if not all

And for Mellow Driving
David Benoit Miles After Dark (New Age/Jazz)
Boney James Boneyism (Smooth Jazz)
Manheim Steamroller - Most
Wil Smith (Extremely mild Rap/R&B mix)
Creedence Clearwater Revival (They have always been a staple through my ever-changing and continuously evolving taste in music)
Yes, my collection is ecclectic, as I am very open minded when it comes to all forms of music. I really do not shun any genre, as it all has its place and time, depending on the situation at hand.

Ed

Luminocity

Newly Enlightened
When driving, I usually listen to entire albums of:
Genesis
U2
Jean-Michelle Jarre
Enigma
Van Halen (greatest hits album)
Electric Light Orchestra
Sarah Brightman
Cherry Poppin Daddies
Red Heat (an indpendent artist on MP3.com who does electronic music, go check it out, it is nice stuff)

Getting ready to head out to my astronomy club's dark sky viewing site (unfortunately, no matter how temping it might be, I won't be able to fire up my SF M3 or LC100, they would kick my a## for doing that!!!). That said, I will have these lights and a whole bunch of others along for the ride just in case I get into some kind of situation where I need some light. Some of the drive is on some dark country roads, and I always have to "test" out my lights during the drive home. Amazing how much more impressive the lights always are when you get away from some of that dreaded light pollution.

I will bringing my iPod along (connected to my car's sound system through a line-in connection of course). Got over 250 CD's (and still rooom for at least 100 more) on that little sucker! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you love music, you really should get one of these things.

I'm going to listen to the Genesis "Wind & Wuthering" album. I have 11 Genesis CD's on the iPod, and "Wind & Wuthering" is one of my favorites. For the drive back, I will be listening to Enigma's "Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi!" album. Great music for a ride back home late at night.

It is currently 95 degrees at the site and crystal clear with a low humidity (at least for these parts) of 39%. Should be great viewing conditions tonight! Looking forward to observing the most awesome of all lights, distant galaxies over 50 million light years away and if I stay out late enough, a bit of our own Milkyway galaxy peeking above the horizon.

Skyline

Enlightened
Wow, lot of metal fans here. Have you guys listened to Killswitch Engage? I always end up driving faster (too fast?) when listening to them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've got a wide variety of music in my car cd changer:

Fiona Apple - When The Pawn...
Conjure One - Conjure One
Rose Chronicles - Happily Ever After
Til Tuesday - All Above Love
Godsmack - Faceless
Killswitch Engage - Killswitch Engage/Alive Or Just Breathing

Other stuff I have in the glove compartment includes:
Anthrax
Balligomingo
Delerium
DJ Miss Bliss
Enigma
Chris Isaak
Judas Priest
Led Zeppelin
Linkin Park
Sarah McLachlan
Holly McNarland
Megadeth
Metallica
Ozzy Osbourne
Joe Satriani
Slayer
Tool
U2
Van Halen

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Yes!!! A metalhead!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Van Halen (especially their first album), Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Anthrax, and the like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I also like Led Zeppelin "In Through The Out Door" - if I got the artist and album title right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I used to play Slayer, Exciter, Metallica, and Anthrax albums in the car (using a huge JVC RC-M70JW ghetto blaster on the front seat - it beat the pants off the stereo in the dash), but I don't have a car these days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Anthrax

To me, Anthrax is a local band

Funny story - not sure exactly HOW true it is. It's "possible"

I have a friend who is/was a metalhead. Back just before college (I met him in college), he played bass in a no name band that a bunch of the guys where getting together. The spring before college, they decided that they would go to Europe to try and get their break, and metal was more popular there. My friend goes to his parents to get the cash from his savings account, and is told "Nope, that money is for college". The beand drops him, and gets a new base player

The band? - Anthrax. My friend has never really forgiven his parents for that

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anthrax

nice to see def leppard represented. most talented band from the 80's, even though they were kicking *** before then.

- tom petty
- pantera
- eminem
- dr. dre
- hank williams jr.
- tupac
- stone temple pilots
- alice in chains

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I respect metal as an art form, don't own much though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KC2IXE, it's probably true, that sort of thing happens. I used to play in some bands, thats me in the middle:

I could not get the image to show up in the message for some strange and ineffable reason, so you'll have to click here

We later opened for a band that grew up to be Local-H! Too bad we didn't keep opening for them... Oh, and I got a haircut too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am just doing up some mixes for an 8 hour car ride I've got to do in a couple of weeks. setting up a lot of good stuff.

YES
a LOT of XTC
Renaisance
LOTS of Jethro Tull
Aphex Twin
Bela Fleck
Boiled In Lead
Cowboy Mouth
David Arkenstone
Thomas Dolby
I play the fiddle so I've got to have people in there like Eileen Ivers and Lorenza Ponce and a little bit of Jean Luc Ponty. I like best the stuff he did with Frank Zappa.
Garbage
Jazzanova
Jean Michel Jarr
Kate Bush
Lorena McKennit
Midnight Oil
Mike Oldfield
Nickle Creek
October Project
Oingo Boingo
Paul Okenfold
Pete Townshend
Tangerine Dream
Rush
Seal
Stanly Clark
Turtle Island String Quartet
The modern mandolin quartet
and lots of Vangelis

That will keep me awake for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

seems that Tom Petty is getting mentioned a lot. Personally have nothing against it, I used to like it until I played "free falling" in a band one summer.

It's a funny story, so I'll tell it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The fellow organizing the thing was also the keyboard player. we rehearsed in his house, and even so he was always late. The only song we could rehearse without him was Free Falling. It has 3 chords and the pattern doesn't even change for the chorus and it just goes on and on and on and on and we played it every day for a month and this was 10 years ago and I still can't listen to it...