Klarus        
Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: MG L-Mini II review

Default MG L-Mini II review

Some information about this small and cheap but awesome flashlight.

This light is similar to the Fenix P3D and the Jetbeam III Pro ST, on size, weight, beam and output power. So, let's compare them three.

The body knurling is much (but not too much) agressive than P3D's or Jet's. It provides a very good grip.

Interface is simple but handy: L-Mini II has a GITD reverse clicky with three modes: low, medium and high. The selected mode is memorized and restored each time the light is set on.

The L-Mini II has the same lenght than P3D's and the same weight than Jet's. Note: these weights are processed with batteries.

P3D Q5: 21.5 x 114 mm (0.85" x 4.5") - 84 g (3 oz)
    L-Mini II Q5: 24 x 114 mm (0.94" x 4.5") - 123 g (4.3 oz)
    Jet III Pro ST Q5: 26 x 123 mm (1.02" x 4.84") - 123 g (4.3 oz)

From left to right: P3D, L-Mini II, Jet III Pro ST:

Beamshots on a white wall::

Fenix P3D Q5

L-Mini II Q5

Jet III Pro ST Q5 (textured reflector)

Others beamshots are available there: http://lermite.nerim.net/beamshots/

The L-Mini II hot spot is bit tighter than P3D's and provides a better throw.
    It has the widest spill of these threee lights.
    The overall output looks more powerfull than the P3D's, and about the same or perhaps a bit more than Jet's.
    The L-Mini II tint is nice, rather cool but very near of neutral white.

The power is very constant, and the driver provides a very nice feature:
    instead of shutting down the light when the battery is drained, the light switch from high or medium mode to low mode wich last several hours. This allows to look for a new battery and to replace the drained one without being in full darkness and without using another flashlight.

With a 18650 Trusfire 2500 mAh:
    In high mode, the L-Mini II switches on low mode after 2:17. It shuts down after 8:28 (including high mode duration).
    In medium mode, it switched on low mode after 7:43 and shuts down after 11:19
    The low mode lasts about 65 hours.

The L-Mini II Q5 is one of the smallest 1x18650 flashlight and maybe the best one because I'm unable to find any cons. It gathers the good sides of P3D and Jet ST, and even improved them. It would be the light I would choose if I had to keep only one.

This flashlight comes with a usefull holster, a lanyard, a replacement switch with black rubber and four O-rings.

Flashaholic

Default Re: MG L-Mini II review

nice. I really like mine.
    <bunch 'O flashlights>

Flashaholic

Nice run-time graphs, but specifying battery type for each graph would be even nicer....;-)

Cheers,

__philippe

The battery type is displayed four lines over the graphes:
    "With a 18650 Trusfire 2500 mAh:"

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790

Where can you get this light? A link would be nice. Also, what is the output #'s for each mode?
    I love my HDS/Ra Clicky... My only wish would be a 5th(accessible thru a 2click press) mode, and a 2AA tube.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Galt View Post
    Where can you get this light? A link would be nice.
    http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...ni-1081/Detail
    Also, what is the output #'s for each mode?
    What do you mean with "#"?

If you mean lumens, they aren't really specified. Even if they were, they wouldn't be very accurate.
    On my L-mini II Q3 warm tint version, the high and medium appear to be pretty close in brightness.
    However, the driver apparently runs the LED at 80 mA on low, 350 on medium, and 1000 on high.
    Eagletac T10L, 3D maglite with Malkoff 3-6D XP-G Dropin, Stanley 35 watt HID, Gerber LX 3.0, L-mini II Q3-5C, 2D ROP w/ LiMnNi 26650, Eagletac P100A2, Quark Mini AA XP-G S2

Where can you get this light? A link would be nice. Also, what is the output #'s for each mode?
    You can also get an optional Turbo Head.

Thank you for your time and effort in providing this fine review.

_

Flashaholic

Looks like a really great light, smaller edc size with great a battery. Good kurling and regulated. I think I would want the turbo head also.
    Looks like its already got a great throw how much does the new head help? Comparison beamshot?

Nice and informative review - good job. Looks like a very nice compact 18650 light.

L-Mini II Small Head @ 96"

L-Mini II Turbo Head @ 96"

L-Mini II Small Head @ 32'

L-Mini II Turbo Head @ 32'

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by choaticwhisper View Post
    Looks like its already got a great throw how much does the new head help? Comparison beamshot?
    According to shiningbeam, Q5 version standard head throws ~3,770 lux @1m whilst turbo provides ~11,550 lux @1m, so roughly 200% more throw with the bigger smooth reflector.

EDIT: According to light-reviews.com, the turbo head increased throw by ~115% so I'm not sure what the exact numbers are but to be conservative, the throw will be more than doubled with the turbo head for the least.
    Last edited by dudu84; 05-23-2009 at 02:31 AM.

Those runtime graphs are beautiful...

I have always thought that tapering output after regulation is better than a sudden cutoff, and that an automatic switch to low mode is best. This is one of a very few flashlights with the automatic switch; actually, I know of only 1 other (Ra/NovaTac)

Nice review
    --
    François

Is it a french review ?
    Nice one indeed

Flashaholic

Thanks for the review. I think that I will buy one of these.

They definitely are worth it, especially if you have laptop batteries lying around. The protection circuit is very good, and it automatically switches to low when the battery is almost dead, so you aren't left in the dark.
    Eagletac T10L, 3D maglite with Malkoff 3-6D XP-G Dropin, Stanley 35 watt HID, Gerber LX 3.0, L-mini II Q3-5C, 2D ROP w/ LiMnNi 26650, Eagletac P100A2, Quark Mini AA XP-G S2

I tested the switching thresholds of the L-Mini II.
    It switches to low mode when the battery voltage reaches 3.2V,
    and it shuts down when the voltage reaches 2.75V.
    This is a perfect protection against battery overdischarging and make this flashlight perfect for unprotected batteries.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Lermite View Post
    I tested the switching thresholds of the L-Mini II.
    It switches to low mode when the battery voltage reaches 3.2V,
    and it shuts down when the voltage reaches 2.75V.
    This is a perfect protection against battery overdischarging and make this flashlight perfect for unprotected batteries.
    Exactly, it's a near perfect little light.
    <bunch 'O flashlights>

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

thanks for the review.

points to add from my Lmini2:
    i have the warm tint version. and the lowest mode seems a bit too greenish on white wall. on higher modes it is alot better. and the tint does work fine when outside. only in white surroundings the greenish hue on lowest mode looks less than perfect. (i do use my light mostly outdoors and there it is good, so this is just basically nitpicking)

The lanyard hole edges are too sharp. it shaved thru my lanyard in few days of edc. just simplu cut it all the way thru. now i have an small split ring thru the holes and attached the lanyard to the ring. (shouldnt fray anymore)

i do carry it horizontally in my pocket and pull it out by the lanyard so i do put some serious stress on it.

the lanyard itself is strong. (i have few of them in other lights) it can take some serious pulling and yanking but it just dont play well togeter with sharp objects (but what would?)

great light. simple 3 mode, good runtimes and dont get too hot to handle. and i like the ramp up modes. (and the memory mode is useful to those whom dont like to start from lowest)

i also just ordered the turbo head .. just to make sure they dont get sold out. as it seems this thing almost certainly beats my TK11, and becomes my "big" EDC light. -thanks to warmer tint and lower output modes.

so negatives: greenish yellow tint on low, sharp lanyard holes, no pocket clip.. umm.. cant think other things at the moment.

(oh yeah.. one thing more. i seem to have too numb thumb and try to press the light on from its lense in darkness. the rececced button on other end just feels similar to the lense end.. hahah.. i like the button to be recessed in this.. but i feel real dumb after i notice i once again am pressing the lense when trying to turn it on. )
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

Can anyone make a guess as to how many lumen the low is? 15~20 lumen would make the low usable for many tasks...2~10 would make it great for a night light.

Love the low batt step down concept on this light.

Guessing the output power is difficult.
    By comparing L-Mini II low mode to the P3D Q5 low (12 lm) and medium (53) modes, I'd say the L-Mini II draws out between 30 and 35 lumens in low mode.

By comparing L-Mini II low mode to the P3D Q5 low (12 lm) and medium (53) modes, I'd say the L-Mini II draws out between 30 and 35 lumens in low mode.
    Thanks...thats plenty bright for most things...and with great run time. I wish they would offer this light with these great features, but with a 4 die driven into the 400~500 lumen level. And especially since the 18650 batt power source seems to be gaining favor here on CPF. Be a near perfect general purpose light.
    Last edited by Badbeams3; 05-24-2009 at 08:25 AM.

Flashaholic

According to "your" graph , Lo output is ~15% of Mid so I think 16-20 LED lumens output sounds right.

I have a warm L-mini 2 version and when compared with my L2D 5A-Q3 modded on Lo and Mid, L-mini 2 Lo is ~15 LED lumens. Mine lasts only ~40+h on Lo using TF18650 (tested twice now, battery charge time is 5h@450mA using WF139 charger), looks like your L-mini 2 is a little better

Thx for the great review btw

Thanks for the great review. This is an appealing light for sure! Gotta love a small-ish light that runs on an 18650!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    ...........Gotta love a small-ish light that runs on an 18650!!!
    That's what I've been thinking the last few days.

Thanks to this review and all the other gushing about this light, I decided to order one last night. Once I started using 18650s a while back, they're about all I care to use anymore. Depending on how I like this light size-wise, my "AA" sized lights may start gathering dust.
    Mama always told me not to look into the eye's of the sun.
    But mama...., that's where the fun is.......

Thank you for the nice review!

Must...resist...pulling...out...wallet...

Thanks to this thread... I pulled the trigger on a Q3 5C warm version. It just arrived.

Very nice output. In my ceiling bounce test it measures 4.6 EV on high which is the same output I measured from my Romisen RC-N3 Q5 on RCR123 and my L1 on RCR123. Quite respectable! Now I want to order the turbo head!

Beam is very nice, made even nicer by backing off the head a turn (sets the emitter back a little deeper). I love to warm tint. It does tend slightly more greenish on low, but this isn't bothersome at all and not noticible in most situations.

While compact for an 18650 light, it's just a little large for EDC pocket carry for me, though no problem to drop in the pocket when you want to, on occasion.

My only quibble would be the threads are micro fine... which makes them more fragile than large square cut threads some other lights have... makes them easier to strip... just exercise greater care when assembling.

I'm looking forward to playing with it tonight!
    Last edited by DHart; 05-30-2009 at 07:01 AM.

The only issue I have with mine is that the anodizing does not lock out the light when the tailcap is loosened. There must be some sort of bare spot somewhere, since it can be turned on even with the tailcap loosened all the way. Anodizing is non conductive, so this should not be happening if the whole threads are coated.
    Its not all that big of an issue though, as I am never in a situation when I need to lock the light. If I need to, I can always take the battery out.

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast