MG L-Mini II review

Lermite

Newly Enlightened
Some information about this small and cheap but awesome flashlight.

MG_L-Mini_II_b_700.jpg

This light is similar to the Fenix P3D and the Jetbeam III Pro ST, on size, weight, beam and output power. So, let's compare them three.

The body knurling is much (but not too much) agressive than P3D's or Jet's. It provides a very good grip.

Interface is simple but handy: L-Mini II has a GITD reverse clicky with three modes: low, medium and high. The selected mode is memorized and restored each time the light is set on.

The L-Mini II has the same lenght than P3D's and the same weight than Jet's. Note: these weights are processed with batteries.

P3D Q5: 21.5 x 114 mm (0.85" x 4.5") - 84 g (3 oz)
L-Mini II Q5: 24 x 114 mm (0.94" x 4.5") - 123 g (4.3 oz)
Jet III Pro ST Q5: 26 x 123 mm (1.02" x 4.84") - 123 g (4.3 oz)

From left to right: P3D, L-Mini II, Jet III Pro ST:
_IMG9454.jpg

_IMG9455.jpg

_IMG9456.jpg

Beamshots on a white wall::

Fenix P3D Q5
P3D.jpg

L-Mini II Q5
L-Mini_II.jpg

Jet III Pro ST Q5 (textured reflector)
Jet_III_Pro_ST.jpg

Others beamshots are available there: http://lermite.nerim.net/beamshots/

The L-Mini II hot spot is bit tighter than P3D's and provides a better throw.
It has the widest spill of these threee lights.
The overall output looks more powerfull than the P3D's, and about the same or perhaps a bit more than Jet's.
The L-Mini II tint is nice, rather cool but very near of neutral white.

The power is very constant, and the driver provides a very nice feature:
instead of shutting down the light when the battery is drained, the light switch from high or medium mode to low mode wich last several hours. This allows to look for a new battery and to replace the drained one without being in full darkness and without using another flashlight.

With a 18650 Trusfire 2500 mAh:
In high mode, the L-Mini II switches on low mode after 2:17. It shuts down after 8:28 (including high mode duration).
In medium mode, it switched on low mode after 7:43 and shuts down after 11:19
The low mode lasts about 65 hours.

MG_L-Mini_II.png

MG_L-Mini_II_avec_low.png

The L-Mini II Q5 is one of the smallest 1x18650 flashlight and maybe the best one because I'm unable to find any cons. It gathers the good sides of P3D and Jet ST, and even improved them. It would be the light I would choose if I had to keep only one.

This flashlight comes with a usefull holster, a lanyard, a replacement switch with black rubber and four O-rings.

__philippe

Enlightened
Nice run-time graphs, but specifying battery type for each graph would be even nicer....;-)

Cheers,

__philippe

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can you get this light? A link would be nice. Also, what is the output #'s for each mode?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you mean lumens, they aren't really specified. Even if they were, they wouldn't be very accurate.
On my L-mini II Q3 warm tint version, the high and medium appear to be pretty close in brightness.
However, the driver apparently runs the LED at 80 mA on low, 350 on medium, and 1000 on high.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you for your time and effort in providing this fine review.

:twothumbs

_

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
:sold:
Looks like a really great light, smaller edc size with great a battery. Good kurling and regulated. I think I would want the turbo head also.
Looks like its already got a great throw how much does the new head help? Comparison beamshot?:popcorn:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice and informative review - good job. Looks like a very nice compact 18650 light.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
L-Mini II Small Head @ 96"

LMPL1018Small.jpg

L-Mini II Turbo Head @ 96"

LMPL1019Small.jpg

L-Mini II Small Head @ 32'

LMPL1022Small.jpg

L-Mini II Turbo Head @ 32'

LMPL1023Small.jpg

dudu84

Enlightened
Looks like its already got a great throw how much does the new head help? Comparison beamshot?:popcorn:

According to shiningbeam, Q5 version standard head throws ~3,770 lux @1m whilst turbo provides ~11,550 lux @1m, so roughly 200% more throw with the bigger smooth reflector. :popcorn:

EDIT: According to light-reviews.com, the turbo head increased throw by ~115% so I'm not sure what the exact numbers are but to be conservative, the throw will be more than doubled with the turbo head for the least.

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those runtime graphs are beautiful...

I have always thought that tapering output after regulation is better than a sudden cutoff, and that an automatic switch to low mode is best. This is one of a very few flashlights with the automatic switch; actually, I know of only 1 other (Ra/NovaTac)

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
They definitely are worth it, especially if you have laptop batteries lying around. The protection circuit is very good, and it automatically switches to low when the battery is almost dead, so you aren't left in the dark.

Lermite

Newly Enlightened
I tested the switching thresholds of the L-Mini II.
It switches to low mode when the battery voltage reaches 3.2V,
and it shuts down when the voltage reaches 2.75V.
This is a perfect protection against battery overdischarging and make this flashlight perfect for unprotected batteries.

Kremer

Enlightened
I tested the switching thresholds of the L-Mini II.
It switches to low mode when the battery voltage reaches 3.2V,
and it shuts down when the voltage reaches 2.75V.
This is a perfect protection against battery overdischarging and make this flashlight perfect for unprotected batteries.

Exactly, it's a near perfect little light.