Beam patterns

clint357

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have a utility P7 light that is made to run off of a 12v source for boats, vehicles, ATVs.......but I'm having a hard time finding optics I like. I just got a few boom reflectors with a 9 degree spread. The good; they are small and cheap. The bad; 9 degree hot spot but at least half of the light is spilled outside of that, making it not seem as bright. Is there a way to get a tight beam without a large reflector? My light is 1.5" I.D. for a collimetor but I don't really like the spill of the 15 degree sekonix either. Please post some beam shots. I'll post some this weekend of my 5 different optics I have right now.

clint357

Newly Enlightened
OK here is my single P7 driving light with a few different optics.

Here is the light with an aspheric lens on it.

P524231206.jpg

Here is a shot of my low-beams 25 yards from a building. This was shot with an F value of 4 and a 1.6 second shutter.

P524230401.jpg

Here is a Boom 9 degree reflector

P524230602.jpg

Sekonix 15 degree collimator with the narrow filter

P524230703.jpg

A 38mm aspherical lens. (this appears to be between the output of my low beams and high beams.

P524231004.jpg

Overall impressions. The Boom reflectors are nice because they are very small and inexpensive, but the 15 degree sekonix gives off almost no spill compared the the massive spill of the Boom. The sekonix is also nice because they have different sub-lenses which are easy to change. The aspheric gives the most narrow beam by far, but also has the capability to produce a flood beam if moved out of its focus point. This light can accomidate that by using different length inserts to seperate the lens and the led. Any input/suggestions would be much appreciated. BTW, I'm also making one of these as a dive light if anyone is interested in testing it out for me.