SF123A Battery on Kaidomain?

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF as in spiderfire or some such. Notice that they did not take photos of the SUREFIRE part of the label. Real deal? Probably not. Unless Surefire contracted out their cells to china. Its not a great deal anyway so I'd stay away.

callmaster

Enlightened
Suppose to be the SureFire logo in between "SF123A 3 Volt" and "Lithium Battery". I don't see it. The logo of the dustbin with the X across it is also missing.

Norm

Retired Administrator
sfkd.png
surefire123a2.jpg
sfkd.png

You can see what their trying to look like, but I'm sure nothing to do with Surefire, if they were the real deal they would't be blanking out the trade name.
Also notice the "SF123 3 Volt" on the KD battery runs over the indentation at the positive end of the battery, there seems to be a little more space in the middle.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look closely. The SureFire logo has been painted over with the matching red-orange color of the wrapper. However, the artist missed one piece of text indicating SureFire. Click on the larger image so that you get the full size photos. Select the right-most (3rd) photo, with two cells angled top left to lower right and the bottom of the cells showing. Look at the right-hand cell. You can make out the text "IRE.COM" in white next to the negative "-" symbol (also in white).

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
First time I've seen a knock-off priced higher than the real thing.

(Yes, I know KD's shipping is free, and Surefire doesn't sell cells in pairs. The base price just made me chuckle.)

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not even a good price :shakehead Batteryjunction has the real SF at 12 for $21 or 2 for $3.60 - of course there's shipping but with 12 it would probably work out cheaper. And I think batteryjunction has a 5% off this month for CPF. I'm sure there are other places too so why would anyone buy these from KD if you are in the U.S. ?

mdocod

Flashaholic
A cheap chinese cell being passed off as a surefire cell and then being sold at an inflated price hoping to cash in on the "SF" look... this tickles me the wrong way in a big way.

Mik

Newly Enlightened
Very obvious knock-offs. The USA made ones also have a green shrink wrap under the red that is visible on the negative end.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good catch Justin.

Pathetic on KD's part. And people wonder why so many refuse to deal with KD. Here's another example.

Indeed, another good reason to avoid them if you can.

Now I can see why Surefire includes a warning sheet about counterfeit batteries in their lights. We here know better but I'm not so sure about the general public. For sure Surefire can do something about this 9they seem to have the resources to do so)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pathetic on KD's part. And people wonder why so many refuse to deal with KD. Here's another example.

I frequently wonder why companies that do things like this are not censored and condemned in a vocal and public way by the community here.

Intellectual property theft, like this battery, or copying a flashlight design should be strongly discouraged - it hurts GOOD companies that make original designs and do actually R&D which is bad for the hobby.

I guess price wins out over principle for a lot of folks...that's a shame.

Last edited:

LeifUK

Enlightened
I frequently wonder why companies that do things like this are not censored and condemned in a vocal and public way by the community here.

Intellectual property theft, like this battery, or copying a flashlight design should be strongly discouraged - it hurts GOOD companies that make original designs and do actually R&D which is bad for the hobby.

I guess price wins out over principle for a lot of folks...that's a shame.

You are of course quite right that this discourages investment and innovation.

The Chinese are known to completely ignore copyright and intellectual property laws and nothing can be done about it. The Chinese authorities want the economy to expand, and clearly see no harm to themselves in this behaviour. See here for an example:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=14472214

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's easy to blame, 'the Chinese,' but those who choose to buy these products, whether it's these fake batteries or a stolen flashlight design vote with their dollars and euro's and encourage this behavior every time they make a purchase.

I'm suggesting that the CPF community should not be party to it. That CPF should, as a group, say, 'no, we will not do business with those who knowingly and wantonly violate IP laws.'