What are the next generation of LEDs going to be like?

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know or have insight as to what things are being worked on?
Basically, it seems to me, that the move from the Luxeon Star 5W LED, to the Cree was big.

Does this sound right:
An old Surefire KL4 gave you about 65 lumens for about an hour on 2 CR123s.
Now, you can get about twice those lumens, for about 2 hours, with only one CR123.

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
Will we ever get to 300 lumens for 5 hours off a single AAA?

spencer

Enlightened
Not unless battery technology advanced about 10 fold. The theoretical maximum efficiency is 380 (not exact, give or take like 30) lm/watt and since a AAA NiMH battery only has about 1 watt hour this is not possible.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I would also add that there seems to be a general move to size reduction in the LED package as well. This is most notable in the case of single die packages.

Corvette6769

Newly Enlightened
Central Illinois USA, In a van down by the river
Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I can determine, (and not counting the quad-core Cree XLamp MC-E) the next generation of single die LEDs looming on the horizon are the Cree XLamp XP-E Premium R3 and due to be released in July, the 345 lumen Cree XLamp XP-G LED (which is 37 percent brighter and 53 percent more efficient than the brightest XR-E Q5 LED) intended compete and stay ahead of the next generation of Philips Lumileds Luxeon Rebel, Edison Edixeon ARC series, and Seoul Semiconductor Z-power SSC P7 & Z1 Series LED.

Illum

Flashaholic
I would also add that there seems to be a general move to size reduction in the LED package as well. This is most notable in the case of single die packages.

well, as a builder who makes and focuses your own reflectors, would you agree that the smaller the die is the easier it is to focus?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love this thread.something about small bright led flashlights i love

McGizmo

Flashaholic
well, as a builder who makes and focuses your own reflectors, would you agree that the smaller the die is the easier it is to focus?

Yes, I would agree but my comment was that the package is getting smaller and not necessarily the die or image size to be collimated.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think next generation of LEDs manufacturers will try to perfect these newer tiny packages and optimize them for heat removal.

I think it would be cool if LED dies were more robust and you could just buy a sheet of them and snap them off and eat them at your own leisure. Or light them up, your call.

clg0159

Enlightened
Good question! They will certainly be tailored for many markets which opens many possibilities. It is exciting not only to see how far the tecnology has come, but to look ahead at the potential for improvement!

Latest posts