A dumb question...

robk

Enlightened
I'm in the graphic arts business, so I pay quite a bit of attention to color. When LEDs are described as 670nm, 832nm, etc, it really means nothing to me. Is there a conversion to RGB or CMYK values? Maybe a program that allows you to enter the wavelength and see the sample on the screen?
Rob

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
robk,

That's not a dumb question, it's a really cool question! Most of the digi photo freaks have tools allowing them to color-correct their monitors! (Waay too advanced for me!) I think it would be cool to be able to access a site and punch-in a wavelength! Whites have to go by "black body"(?) temperature equivalents, and that too would be "cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif " to be able to punch-in! I predict that by the end of the day tomorrow, you will get some intelligent answers to a cool question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

robk

Enlightened
Well, thanks! I live in a world of Pantone color chips, calibrated monitors, digital proofs, matchprints, press proofs, etc. I only ask because I just got in a green LS and it appears to be greenish-yellow. I would have prefered a deeper green, but the nanometer spec meant really nothing to me, as I deal in RGB, HSB, CMYK and LAB color models.
Thanks,
Rob

Tomas

Banned
Hmmmmmm ...

Thanks for the links, BF. I'll have to crawl them and take a look.

I've never run into a good chart of wavelength to perceived color.

Additionally, I just checked my monitor calibration app and found I could set the white value of the screen anywhere from 4500 to 9500K.

If I display a plain white screen I can use the CRT as a more or less calibrated light source. Think I'll play around with that to compare it with some of my LED sources ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tomsig03.gif

robk

Enlightened
BF-
Thanks for the links, I took a look and they are very basic. What I'm looking for is a bit more exact, like the difference between 650nm and 670nm red laser pointers, with color swatches.
Rob

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
Additionally, I just checked my monitor calibration app and found I could set the white value of the screen anywhere from 4500 to 9500K.[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]
Tomas--

What software do you use to calibrate your monitor? I hadn't even realized that there was such a thing. It makes sense, but I never even thought about it.

Tomas

Banned
Zenghost, I use the monitor calibration application that is part of my operating system to get the monitor as neutral and accurate as possible (that's the one I was mentioning above).

I used to use Adobe Gamma as mentioned by Robk above, but with the calibration and color matching provided by ColorSynch (comes with my OS) from my scanner and digital camera right through to my screen and printer, I pretty much just use it these days.

If I'm printing something I scanned or photographed myself I have a very high expectation of proper gamma and color through the entire process. If I've imported an image I can make adjustments on-screen and know what my printer is going to print.

I assume that most 'puters and OS's have at least a part of this functionality built right in, but I don't really know.

tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Cool--I had never really played around with that function (just got through messing with it). Hadn't really even noticed it was there. Thanks, guys.