Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McLux DIY parts @ the Sandwich Shoppe

Flashaholic*

Default Re: McLux DIY parts @ the Sandwich Shoppe

[ QUOTE ]
    paulr said:
    No! Use this instead:

http://www.anlighten.com/shop/default.php?cPath=21_25

The long hex number is a session number and if you both use the same one then you'll both get the same shopping cart. ExMB, you should edit that number out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link ( I think [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ) This flashlight/ LED thing is pretty addictive [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

thanks Paul

I saw your two orders. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

We will combine the two orders.

Flashaholic*

Just curious if there are any of the Black HA 123 Tubes kicking around?? Since I now have two the Heads in Black on the way I wouldn't mind doing one in two tone with an EN Battery compartment ( already ordered) and one in all Black HA [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The current McLux DIY is a one shot deal. There are discussions about what we might do if we sell out. I can tell you that the DIY program was a headache and logistical nightmare.

There is no plan yet. But, if there is an if... The if would be a slight redesign to make assembly easier. But, that's only an if...

[ QUOTE ]
    dat2zip said:
    ...... I can tell you that the DIY program was a headache and logistical nightmare. ............

[/ QUOTE ]

Man! That's an understatement! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

IF (visualize the IF in 3 foot high font)there were more parts made, we should contact Robk; A couple bucks a piece sounds wonderful!!!!!!!!!

- Don

[ QUOTE ]
    dat2zip said:
    I saw your two orders. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

We will combine the two orders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Wayne!

Flashaholic*

I'll be real conservative this time around. I already have a black McLux 3 * 123 body. Currently, I have two spare e2 heads looking for bodies and a total of 6@ MN03 LA's I bought from McGizmo, so I today ordered a pair of the EN 2 * 123 bodies. I'll use my Doug Speck UBH's and extenders for longer applications requiring the ex head receiver.

Does the 2x123 battery tube use the same pocket clip as the 1x123, or a longer one like the Surefire E2o's? I've seen pics around somewhere but don't remember where. Thanks

The same clip is used for all tubes.

I just ordered and ended up @ $136.70, including $3 for a used LED to practice soldering. Is this correct? Wayne, I'll PM you, can you check it out? I hate to be a PIA, but I'm not 100% what I'm doing.

Also, apart from runtime is there any other reason a BB500 wouldn't work w/ a white LS is this config?
    Please advise

Flashaholic

Ok, I think I'm going to build a 1x123 McLux. I'll need the head, and a 1x123 battery pack, for sure. Now this is what I'm confused on:

Which reflector/optics should I use? I'd like to have a McFlood since all of my other lights seem to try to make a tight beam, but I'm not sure I'd be happy with it. Can I buy both the McFlood and an NX05 optic and swap them at will in a McLux head?

Which LS should I buy? Is a High Dome or a Low Dome better in the McFlood? Which one works best (best beam) with the NX05 optics?

Which converter should I buy? Is it safe to run a 1W LS at 500ma in a McLux head? What kind of battery life should I expect from a BB500 running a 1W LS? How about a BB400 or MM?

Is that all I need? Well, except for the thermal epoxy and other odds and ends...

Thanks all,

-Kevin

The McFlood is wonderful, far superior to the NX05 if you actually want to use the light rather than just make spots on the wall with it. It just recognizes the reality of small lights, that they're used for finding stuff that's not too far away, like where did those shoes go. It's great to light up a relatively large area all at once instead of having to search around with the light. But yes, you can interchange the McFlood and the NX05 at will.

I'm not sure what LED to use since I have a TK and don't know which LED it has, but I wouldn't change it.

500 ma should be fine, the McLux head is much better set up for heat sinking than a sandwich in a Minimag. Runtime will probably be in the 1-1.5 hour range.

The turnkeys should have a Q3L LS (well, at least mine is)... It's based on a BB400 converter board...

Flashaholic*

anyones order ship yet?

Mine shipped on the 5th, meaning it should, with some pixie dust luck, arrive hopefully tomorrow...

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I recieved my DIY parts today (Saturday). Now I have to figure out how to make a 5-watt bezel.

TIN:

I'm wrestling with the same question. Wizard400 or BB700? The Wizard will work with either 2x123 or 3x123, whereas the BB700 will only work with 2x123. Runtime and versatility vs. brightness. Where's the Wizard700 when you need it? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've heard the 5w + NX-05 gives you the nasty grill pattern, but I haven't heard any comments about the mcflood with 5w. My understanding is that it works better with LD than HD, but there aren't any 5w LD, so the options for 5w in a standard McLux head don't seem so great.

Flashaholic*

hmm mine didne ship yet and i can't get a email response from dat2zip for some reason

Your status plz....

We are lucky if we can ship 10 orders a day. We have now 39+ orders to ship after the ones we shipped on Thurs, Friday. So, expect a slight delay with about 10 notifications/day from us. That's about as fast as we can process the orders.

BTW: We have received MM+ converter boards. They will be enabled tonight.

Flashaholic*

my apologies, i understand that your probably pretty busy, so i'll wait on it, btw, i recieved a bad bb500, but never got a reply on that, also requested a upgrade of BB700 to BB750 for my mclux diy order, just wondering if you normally reply to orders to acknowledge such changes? Thanks

Dang, This thread has been viewed more times than I have posts....

O, It looks like I finally made 1000. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Congrats Wayne! Now get to back to work! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

...Got the parts, and all I can say is: Wow!

I can now finally drive my McLux off of AA batts...
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Looks like the perfect combination for a hot 5W LS home!

Congratulations Skunks! You just built one of the most perfect bodies for a 1W/5W, anything inbetween and over-and-beyond...
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Cool Daddy Administrator

[ QUOTE ]
    robk said:
    Pardon my asking, but why are these machined aluminum parts so expensive? $45 for a head with no LED, no optics? Seems like a cult thing. I don't want to seem out of line, but I have friends with Mazak's that could turn these things out for a couple of bucks. Also, the most important item, the DC to DC converter is only twenty something? Doesn't make sense. I don't mean to offend anyone! Just asking for clarification.
    Rob

[/ QUOTE ]
    No offense taken. In fact, I'm thrilled. Please, please, PLEASE have your friends turn some of these for a couple of bucks/ea, and I'll guarantee to buy 50 units immediately upon completion. I assume they'll be blasted and plated and tested for fit and function as well. Tell me when they're done, and I'll send the check.

If you can get these parts turned for a couple of bucks, then I'm serious that I'll fund an entire run.
    One major part being left out of the equation here is design and prototyping. I tell you this honestly: Ain't nobody making a pile of money on this project! If this was easy and cheap to do, EVERYBODY would be doing it.

wayne,

a little offtopic but do you still have any e2c adapters? i've got a c2 head i'd like to put on my mclux.

thanks,
    walt

Flashaholic*

In case Wayne doesn't get back to you right away I just got some extra McLux parts and the E2C adapter from him on Monday. Unless he sold out between Friday and today he should still have some of the adapters.

We are currently out of stock on these. There is a small private stock that is in reserve that we could dip into. There is no current plans on making more at this time.

I believe you can get them from Dspeck too.

Wayne

NOOOOOOOOOOO! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif[/img]

I was just about to order one . . . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif[/img]

(I knew I should have ordered one with my last order) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img]

Any chance of getting one from the "private reserve"? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

"Lux" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have a few available (they are just in, not yet anodized), if dat2zip hasn't got any available.