Australia custom - knife question.

LA OZ

Enlightened
I am thinking of getting a spyderco sage from lighthound but unsure whether this will go through custom due to media beating on recent knife attacks in Melbourne. I know it is sold in Australia but at 2.5x the price. The sage does not looked to be aggressive and I am getting it for my son who is into scout.

R@ndom

Enlightened
Don't worry as long as it's not a butterfly or an auto. It might get caught up for a few days. In the unlikely chance that it does get confiscated just fill out the form and tell them they hired an idiot custom's officer.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... I'll assume you're looking at the linerlock version of the Sage?

My recommendation, ask Lighthound to tighten the pivot before sending it through. As tight as possible.

I'd agree with R@ndom about there being a low chance of them confiscating it if it's sent "as is", but at the same time I can't honestly say that without mentioning the flip side and the requisite forms if it gets confiscated. Among the collectors I know, they've tightened up in the last 6 months or so.

If the officer in question manages to flick it open, they'll classify it as a gravity/flick knife, as per the part of ACS's guide on importing knives, which states:

Flick knives (aka switchblade knives) or similar devices, with a
blade that opens automatically by either gravity or centrifugal force
or by pressure applied to a button, spring or device in or attached to
the handle of the device.
Note the centrifugal force bit. Doesn't mention how much, they could just test it with a light wrist flick, or do a full arm swing, I've heard of both.

If ACS declare it a flick knife, then you need to get a form (B709B) from your state police saying that you're allowed to have whatever ACS has declared it is. So if ACS declares it to be a flick knife, no matter how wrong they may be in declaring it as such, you can either let it go (maybe send it back to the seller, you get charged for the shipping), argue directly against them (99% failure rate, I can tell you a real shocker story where even the AKC failed to convince them), or get Vic. police to say that you're legally allowed to own a flick knife (chances of that...:shakehead).

I will say again that it's a small chance that they'll confiscate it, but if it happens and they declare it a flick knife (the most likely thing they'll confiscate it for), all I can say is "good luck".

If you want, drop in over here, it's pretty much our local knife forum.

Just realised that this was probably more info than you wanted, but as a knife collector in Australia, I feel kinda responsible to help inform others about the ins and outs of various situations.

Alternatively, if you want I can link you up to an Aussie supplier with very reasonable prices, see if they can get one in for you. You don't have to worry about ACS that way. I've spoken to the owners on several occasions and can vouch for them.

SemperFi

Banned
Hmm... I'll assume you're looking at the linerlock version of the Sage?
Alternatively, if you want I can link you up to an Aussie supplier with very reasonable prices, see if they can get one in for you. You don't have to worry about ACS that way. I've spoken to the owners on several occasions and can vouch for them.

BuddhawithSageandCaly3.jpg

Hi Will,

Thats an interesting hint you have which caught my interests coincidentally.

I'm heading down your way from Heathrow when Fall steps in and would be great to purchase a similage Sage type. Can you help? How far is it from the Airport? Anyway, hope to hear more first on what you would suggest etc. PM me if you wish.

Do you think its permitted without all those forms filled-out when flying into Auckland? Will be there too for our honeymoon holiday after Sydney, melbourne and Tasmania.

When travelling, with flights, its common sense to leave it within the luggage itself and not hand carry as compartment baggage... one is asking to depart with it upon the scanning check bay after passport control. So thats silly unless one is travelling for the 1st time thru airports. Even a small teeny weeny penknife is a lost cause at most airports... unless we're looking at places like Somalia...:laughing:

Hear you soon.

Last edited:

LA OZ

Enlightened
Thank R@andom and Th232 for the interesting advices.

I am interested on the Aussie supplier with the very reasonable prices. Could you either PM me or post a reply. Also, as this is going to be my first knife, just wondering whether the Spydero Sage is good for scout purposes. Any recommendation?

Last edited:

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
LA OZ, I recently bought a Caly 3 from an online seller and had no trouble getting it through customs. The package was opened and inspected by customs but the knife was deemed not to be a flick knife.

I'm not sure how a liner lock would go getting through customs, as they are generally easier to flick open than lockbacks. I asked the seller to tighten the pivot before shipping and it was impossible to flick the knife open out of the box.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, the seller is an online one, established mainly because of the ridiculously high prices we get slugged with here in Oz (can't really think of any brick & mortar shops with good prices, actually). I don't see the Sage on their website, but I suspect that they're able to get one from their suppliers. Just drop Ron a line from this page, say that Will a.k.a. Th232 sent you. Their website is under re/construction at the moment.

I'm heading down your way from Heathrow when Fall steps in and would be great to purchase a similage Sage type. Can you help? How far is it from the Airport? Anyway, hope to hear more first on what you would suggest etc. PM me if you wish.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, so my apologies if I'm answering the wrong question, but I don't think they have a storefront at all.

Do you think its permitted without all those forms filled-out when flying into Auckland? Will be there too for our honeymoon holiday after Sydney, melbourne and Tasmania.

Can't speak on the Auckland side, but if you're flying out of Australia, I don't think you'll have any sorts of problems. At the airports they're more concerned about things coming in rather than out, although I wouldn't recommend carrying several large bags of white powder in your luggage.:whistle: Congrats on your marriage, and hope you have a great time down here!

Thank R@andom and Th232 for the interesting advices.

I am interested on the Aussie supplier with the very reasonable prices. Could you either PM me or post a reply. Also, as this is going to be my first knife, just wondering whether the Spydero Sage is good for scout purposes. Any recommendation?

Personally, I'm not too sure about the Sage as a scout knife, how old is your son and how good is he with knives? The Sage is more of a higher class gentleman's knife. For a scout's knife, I'd go with something along the lines of a Victorinox (Swiss Army Knife) for its versatility. Back when I was out camping, I used one of these, mine looks pretty beat up now, but it still works just fine. Has a lock, can opener, the wood saw is also pretty handy. If you'd prefer something simpler with just a blade, there're plenty of options out there, but I'd go with an Opinel, many sizes to choose from, quite simple and cheap as well. The lock is pretty much foolproof as well.

That said, some scout groups have different policies on knives, so I'd check up on those first. Heard some stuff about some leaders not allowing their scouts knives, or having restrictions on what types of knives are allowed, but I'm not sure whether I heard that for Australia or somewhere else. Regardless, I'd hate for you to buy a knife then find out that it isn't allowed.

gollum

Enlightened
good infomation here thanks

TH232 sounds like you got it in your first post
this has been my experience also

...best bet is to ask for the tightening up of the pivot screw and hope you don't get an over zealous customs person :shakehead

you might also try some private sales threads on O/S forums and ask them to do the same or even better take the knife completely apart and mark it "knife parts" ... this would also be the best bet for airport travel

The laws here are getting tighter and more ridiculous every time we're not looking
some laws have been passed by sneaking them through without proper consultation or notification

Last year,the AKG was lucky to pull up the proposed legisation to prohibit ANY knife to be imported or sent through any mail system in Oz,unless it was classified as a dangerous goods item ...meaning special conditions and extra costs etc... not to mention licences and permits etc = $$$$

thanks for the links TH232 :)

LA OZ

Enlightened
I decided to get it from lighthound. I have asked that they tighten up the screw for me.

I have looked at the Strider. They called it the beast. I doubt it will pass.

LA OZ

Enlightened
Nice! but I am not really into knife. I just need one that is reasonably price. I might get the victorinox for my son instead. This probably change when the Spyderco Sage is in my hand :).

R@ndom

Enlightened
There's a really good b&m and internet dealer around 10k's away from where I live (3150). At least people on the Aussie subforum on bladeforums think so. Can't remember the name though.

Go with a sak, they are really useful. The craftsmanship that they have for the money is amazing. Also there's a wide range of mods you or other people can apply.

Edit: if you are seriously paranoid then join a knife collector's club and apply for a permit for autos.

Last edited:

SemperFi

Banned
Okay, the seller is an online one, Just drop Ron a line from this page, say that Will a.k.a. Th232 sent you. Their website is under re/construction at the moment.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, so my apologies if I'm answering the wrong question, but I don't think they have a storefront at all.

Can't speak on the Auckland side, but if you're flying out of Australia, I don't think you'll have any sorts of problems. At the airports they're more concerned about things coming in rather than out, although I wouldn't recommend carrying several large bags of white powder in your luggage.:whistle: Congrats on your marriage, and hope you have a great time down here!

Hahaaa... I read ya there. Naaahhh, I'm aware of our own silly dudes attempting with their own personal stock of coke... I'd say, "Lock them UP and let them loose on an island with the Dingos" LoL:devil: saving taxpayers money and don't fly them back untill their carcass is just bones, cheaper to handle freight charges with skeletons.:party:

Yes, TQ for the wishes and we do look forward to our Aussie & Kiwi trip soon. Darn Swine though, now that Sydney caught the Flu too... Perhaps I'll need alot of swigging on Tequila during the A380 flight B4 it touches down??? :):sssh:

Thanks again for the header there abt the Seller being an online source. I'll look for one then by my own turf in this case.

Cheersch to all ....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
R@ndom, would that be Rustic Forge? If so... I'd be a bit wary of them at the moment...

LA OZ, the Sage is Spyderco's way of showcasing various lock designs, and for the more recently developed ones, as a tribute to their inventors. The one you looked at, the framelock version is a tribute to Chris Reeve, who invented the framelock, hence its looks (and done with his permission).

old4570, very nice collection, it's amazing how many variations of a theme you can see.

LA OZ

Enlightened
Got my Spyder today! :twothumbs
I was somewhat disappointed that lighthound had not followed my instruction to tighten the pivot screws. I am glad that I got it. One of my receptionist must have opened the package. I am not sure whether it was opened by the custom for inspection. I will interrogate them next week :naughty:.

Overall, the Sage is larger in life than I could imagine. It is simple and beautifully crafted pocket knife for the price. It closed and shut smoothly. Very sturdy with no wobble while opened or closed. The attention to detail is incredible and I thoroughly enjoyed it. By the way, the blade is dead on mid line when closed.

It is quite light for its size and I don't feel the weight while in my pocket. The blade is very sharp. I used to cut an apple tonight. It left a clean and sharp apple skin edge. I am not sure how to clean and sharpened it yet but i will acquired that skill later down the track.

Here are a few photos that compared with my other precious items :naughty:.
BTW, that Olive L2D I got from 4Seven is for A$26 delivered :twothumbs.

Sc1.jpg
Sc2.jpg
Sc3.jpg
Sc4.jpg
Sc5.jpg
Sc6.jpg
Sc7.jpg

Last edited: