Need 4WD Driving Guides Suggestions

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all!

and especially experienced 4wheelers...

lately I am renewing my knowledge on driving techniques and wish to deleve into the 4WD ones...

What I have found so far is an Austalian site (something like 4WD experience)

So what other sites (not forums) are there with good and rather advanced articles on 4WD driving techniques?

TNX, Kostas

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not something you can learn on paper, go join your local 4x4 club. That said take it slow, blast through anything like they do on TV is a good way to break stuff.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
ha! local 4x4 club in Greece! you just said one of the shortests jokes around...If oly

BTW I do not own a 4WD....but what I have found was goof info for driving my car....like not breaking on sand if possible (so no sand is pilled up infront of th wheels)

I just need more tips like this....

tygger

Enlightened
For sand, (like on a beach) you must keep moving, even if at slow speed. Try to stay on a well worn path, the sand is more compact. If the sand is very soft you should try to stay above 40kph. You can bring old rugs or old sections of carpet to place under the tires for traction in case when you get stuck. You may want to bring a shovel and strong tow rope. If you get stuck you can also try to rock back and forth (shifting from 1st gear to Reverse very quickly) to gain momentum and roll out of the ditch. Beach driving is lots of fun and you don't need 4X4. Front wheel drive cars do very well. Have fun.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
On sand ( dunes and the such where its soft ) you will want to air down your tires a good 10 psi, other than that I dont know of very many "off road" areas that a car can go without problems.... Ohh you could always go to the nearest field after it rains and just play around out there, lots of sideways fun and spinning around.... yea thats all I can offer you if you only have a car to work with

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate mud, you go in once you'll never clean that crap out of your frame.

If you need an anchor point to do whatever, bury your spare tire in the sand. Of course you need to have a shovel.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most 4wd articles will be written for 4wd vehicles. You might have better luck looking up look up driving tips for inclement weather instead, as they'll be geared towards a normal car.

:buddies:

mdocod

Flashaholic
The behavior of a 4wd vehicle is so varied depending on the type of vehicle, and the type of 4wd system used that there is no single set of guidelines that would be really ideal...

Here's my favorite tip:

4WD feels more IN CONTROL when you are in control, and is dramatically more OUT OF CONTROL when you loose control. False sense of security is common in 4WD vehicles.

-----

With that in mind, you mentioned you don't have a 4WD, consider the following....

If you are taking a passenger sedan to places where ordinarily only off-road capable vehicles go, be prepared for the possibility of doing damage to your vehicle. Slow speed driving on tough terrain can over-heat engines and automatic transmissions. Or, in the case of a manual transmission, you can expect to spend a lot of time slipping the clutch to run slow enough to prevent massive damage. Most truck/suv style 4WD vehicles are geared properly to operate at low speeds without the need to slip the clutch or work the engine hard (dedicated low range in the transfer-case), as well as provide more than sufficient cooling for this application. Bumps don't often look as large as they actually are, the right dip followed by a small rock in the right place and you dump your engine oil in 2 seconds flat... Clearance is a must for rough conditions. Some sedans fair better than others. Short wheel base light weight sedans/hatchbacks with more than average clearance with slightly over-sized tires can go lots of places if you're careful, choose proper lines, and let it cool off as necessary if needed.

I've seen people beat up their cars pretty bad taking them just a few hundred feet off the main road on what would be considered a very mild 4wd trail. Be careful out there and take it slow... If you hear "BANG" shut the engine off, get out and check for fluid loss...

-Eric