Alway lockout your SF

kb0rrg

Enlightened
Always lock out your SF.

fc0371c4.jpg

No need to worry. SF is helping my resolve the situation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before!

How did it happen?!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
What in the world...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

That lens must be literally vaporizing as it was on...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't see the picture, is it bad? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Reptilezs

Enlightened
for those that cannot see the pic. it appears that the center of the lens has melted/bubled

brightnorm

Flashaholic
That bubble is so perfect the first word that popped into my mind was "Photoshop", but since no Flashaholic would do something like that I ask you to please give us more details. Which lamp? Enclosed space? etc

Brightnorm

Skyline

Enlightened
I've done that before to the original Lexan lens of a 6P. It was in my belt holster and the switch was pressed while I sat. For about 5 minutes I was wondering why my side/back was feeling warm and itchy. LOL. Bubbled the lens just like the picture.

Fortunately the lexan replacement kit costs less than $2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I relocated the picture to Imagestation...i hope you don't mind.

EDIT 6/1/03
It looks like you fixed the link, i'll be removing mine to save bandwidth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Image removed.

kb0rrg

Enlightened
Sorry I didn't explain more. I was diverted just after posting the picture.

I had the P91 lamp installed and it was in a nylon holster in my duffel bag (with the flap over the lens). It couldn't have been on very long because the batteries were still 2.91 volts from 3.0 before. I've never had a problem like this before. I'm sure the Pyrex replacement will prevent future problems, so I'm not really that concerned about it. It just proves that it is not a myth that a SF can burn up it own lens under extreme conditions.

arioch

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

Skyline said:
I've done that before to the original Lexan lens of a 6P. It was in my belt holster and the switch was pressed while I sat. For about 5 minutes I was wondering why my side/back was feeling warm and itchy. LOL. Bubbled the lens just like the picture.

Fortunately the lexan replacement kit costs less than $2.

[/ QUOTE ]

The exact same thing happened to my 6P carried in my leather duty belt holster. Got the bubble, without the black color. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

However, after shopping around to buy a replacement lens, I just called the SF customer service line, told the cs rep my problem (I also had an 8AX w/ a cracked pyrex lens).

About 2 weeks later, I received in the mail a replacement 6P lens, and an 8AX replacement bezel/lens. All at no charge! SF doesn't mess around w/ their lifetime waranty! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edit:
I actually did not call SF cs immediately; I had had a turbo head for the 6P, and simply exchanged heads. I also had an 8X and an 8NX, so was not really missing the 8AX. It took me several months to get around to calling SF. Considering the 6P was many years old (original version from 1994-1995, if I recall), hence my good impression of SF customer service. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

kb0rrg

Enlightened
The lens is still transparent. The blackness is just the photo. It does have a distorting effect on the beam though.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
beamshots!!!

Oooh, that's gonna look fugly...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif