VoIP Box Review & Setup Guide (SPA-2102)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Introduction
This is a review for the Sipura SPA-2102, marketed by Linksys/Cisco. Its a Sipura PAP2, with dual line and QoS added. There are different versions of the 2102, this reviews the unlocked NA (North America) model. Only an unlocked version can be freely used on SIP (low cost) providers.

Voice over IP is a method to convert voice into data and transmit it over a network, generally the Internet. There are two kinds of VoIP. Open standard (like SIP) and closed standards like Vonage. The big plus with closed is that the company is responsible for fixing issues. The negatives are cost and flexibility. For example, a single open/SIP account can be accessed from a box like this or software you install on your laptop. With Vonage, you would have to pay a second monthly fee for a second account to roam with software. The choice depends on your needs, budget, and technical capabilities.

Guidelines
a) Keep your overall configuration as simple as possible. The fancier you get, the more things can go wrong. After messing with dozens of settings, I finally wiped the entire mess clean and did the steps below.

b) Get familiar with the interface. Many changes require clicking on the Admin and Advanced options. These modes don't activate in the most intuitive manner, so only when you see User and Basic in blue, are you there.

c) Get familiar with firmware updates. 2102's are shipping with very outdated versions (probably overproduced them) and offer several key disadvantages that are easily fixed in a single step. The Voice/Provisioning tab has a section called Firmware Enable. There is special software that comes with the .bin file, but on Mac OS X the simplest way is to turn on your Mac's web server, put the .bin file in the web server folder, and then put the new http address for the file into the Upgrade Rule field. Restart the box when ready (see below). Special note: js has volunteered to host the bin file on a server that your 2102 can download from directly. Send him a PM requesting the link.

d) Get familiar with the phone dialing codes. After dialing **** to get into the menu, here are some useful ones:

110# (recite WAN IP address in a cool voice)

7932# [plus password# if set], then press 1# (enable access via WAN port)

723646# [plus password# if set], then press 1# (enable admin access)

732668# (restart/reboot, same as unplug, replug)

73738# (reset everything but firmware - not to be done lightly)

e) Find a good provider. I'm quite happy with CallCentric. As a rule, VOIP pricing is a bit confusing, so keep inbound vs outbound separate in your mind. Outbound costs more, so my strategy was to get an area code near friends/family, allowing them to call in for free. In general, I'm paying $5-10/mo for light to medium long distance with two lines, fax out, and 911.

f) Here's a glossary of terms. See post 22 for tech manual and firmware.

Setup
Starting with a blank slate (you just bought it or just reset it, see D above):

1) Follow your service providers instructions for your device, starting with getting the IP address for log in. In CallCentric's case, use the PAP2 page. The 2102 has two independent lines. Using both requires two independent accounts, each with their own user ID and password. Setup also includes putting in a time server and dial plan string. Click 'Submit All Changes' before leaving each page.

2) Under Router/Wan Setup, change QoS Policy to 'On When Phone In Use'. This frees up bandwidth for other data when its not needed. Also set QoS Dsq to "TBF" = total bucket filter. This will activate your QoS. Click 'Submit All Changes'

3) Under Router/Wan Setup, change Maximum Uplink Speed to a value 80% of your maximum sustained upload total. This is not maximum for phone calls, but maximum for all Internet traffic.

Go here to measure:
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/.

Click 'Submit All Changes' when done.

4) Under Voice/System, put in passwords for both Admin and User (and remember them). Click 'Submit All Changes'

5) Under Voice/Regional, change both FXS Port Input Gain and FXS Port Output Gain to -5. This eliminates clipping and reduces echos. If not completely eliminated, try stronger negative values like -6 or -7. North America only: Under Voice/Regional, change Ring Waveform to 'Sinusoid'. Trapezoid sounds funny and won't let your answering machine count the rings. Click 'Submit All Changes'

6) Under Voice/Line [1/2]. If you have excellent bandwidth (ie cable modem), change Preferred Codec to G711u and Second Preferred Codec to G729a. Also set DTMF Tx Method to Auto. Otherwise, follow your providers guide. Click 'Submit All Changes'

Extra Notes

• Sound quality is better than cell phone and even rivals POTS lines.

• FAX service is a challenge. Using the second line for dedicated fax service allows you to optimize settings for faxing only. See FAX section below.

• These devices hate heat. If the box gets to warm, it will restart on its own - including the middle of a phone call. See next section.

• QoS (quality of service) is meant to give priority to voice traffic. This requires the 2102 be right behind the cable modem and the entire network be plugged into it. This is very handy with slower connections but has two limitations on faster ones: 1) it can't handle traffic above about 7500, so if you are paying for 15k service, you only see half with this configuration. 2) heavy network traffic (think multiple torrents) from downstream computers heats up the box. If you are a heavy user on a 10k+ connection, consider installing it downstream from your main router (not using QoS). More QoS info.

Faxing

This VoIP box supports two independent phone lines. An ideal use then is to have one line for voice and one line for fax. But fax over IP (foip) on its best day is best described as a black art. In general, configure your 2102 for voice first, applying settings to every tab. Then when you're ready, configure only the Line 2 tab with the settings in this guide:

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/ip_faxing_sipura_linksys.pdf

For extra reliability, get the oldest/slowest fax machine you can find, even the kind that doesn't support 14.4k connections.

::::::::::: Read on below for discussion and additional tips :::::::::::

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: VoIP Box Review (SPA-2102)

Thanks for this review, ElectronGuru. At the moment I am totally unfamiliar to VoIP, so this is a great way to get hit over the head with terms on concerns and approaches and the like. I'm booking marking this for future reference. For now, however, my internet connection is probably too slow to allow me to consider this. I've measured it using speakeasy at about 768 kbps, symmetrical. Not the best, but better than dial up, that's for sure.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Actually, you bring up a really important point, minimum bandwidth.

Good quality VoIP only needs about 128K, each direction. The advantage of 1000+ is that you can do more other things at the same time with less concern for packet management (QoS, etc). Almost more important than how much data can be pushed, is how consistently. This tester is more specific and thorough than the speakeasy's general purpose one:

http://www.voipreview.org/voipspeedtester.aspx

If you show green on most of these dots and are willing to dedicate 20% of your bandwidth during phone calls, its doable. Just make sure you have or get a box with QoS capability.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! So, you're saying if I have 768 kbps (and that's kilo-BITS-per-second, not kilo-BYTES), and am willing to give up about 128 or more kbps, I can have good sound quality AND uninterrupted internet service at the same time?

That is so cool! I had no idea. I just assumed my connection wouldn't really be good enough. I think I'm going to start looking into this more. Thanks so much for your review.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK. So I'm checking out the CallCentric website, and it looks pretty enticing. If I'm understanding things correctly, to do a complete home phone line replacement, I would:

1. Buy the SPA-2102 for about $70. This will allow me to use my current, plain old telephone via the plain old telephone port(s) on the 2102.

2. Get an incoming call number from CallCentric for $6 setup plus $6 per month. This is two incoming numbers, if I'm understanding things correctly.

3. Pay for a Rate Plan for outgoing calls. Unlimited calling in the USA is $20 per month, or I can go with the rate plan, and pay per outgoing call. And it does seem to be a charge per call, and not per MB or per minute.

I assume you have the pay per call plan, and the personal unlimited phone number, right?

Do I have things fairly clear in my mind?

And, why did you chose the 2102? Is it the best bang for the buck, or is it just easy to use, or was it sort of an arbitrary choice?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Like, for example, what about the SPA3102? It only has a single telephone port, I guess, though. Still . . . just curious about the differences/advantages between them.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Wow! So, you're saying if I have 768 kbps (and that's kilo-BITS-per-second, not kilo-BYTES), and am willing to give up about 128 or more kbps, I can have good sound quality AND uninterrupted internet service at the same time?

Think about it this way. Standard MP3 bitrates are 128kbps and while MP3 is more efficient, this is one channel of sound (mono) while music is two (64k per). And part of the game here is that while you are paying for bandwidth on your end, the voip service provider is paying for it at their end too, so they are motivated to use (and get you to use) as little as possible.

Get an incoming call number from CallCentric for $6 setup plus $6 per month. This is two incoming numbers, if I'm understanding things correctly.

Pay for a Rate Plan for outgoing calls. Unlimited calling in the USA is $20 per month, or I can go with the rate plan, and pay per outgoing call. And it does seem to be a charge per call, and not per MB or per minute.

I assume you have the pay per call plan, and the personal unlimited phone number, right?

Keeping in mind that the number of choices gets confusing, lets break it down 2 simplified examples.
Start here:

Outgoing - no phone number included

Pay per call is 0/mo and 2 cents/min
North Am Unlimited is 20/mo and 0 cent/min

I went with the first, so I pay nothing per month and a few dollars per month in activity. I suggest starting with this and upgrading if this works out and you exceed 20/mo in usage. BTW, I have two CC accounts and both are configured the same. So both voice and fax are per minute only.

Incoming - phone number included
Pay per minute is $2/mo and 1.5 cent/min
Personal Unlimited is $6/mo and 0 cent/min

I went with the second, but with a twist. On the right of the page is a sale link. You get Personal Unlimited for $3/mo, but you have to choose from specific area codes, generally in big cities.

When both are purchased and setup, you will have ONE incoming number. That number will have two 'line' capability, ala call waiting. If you want TWO numbers, you get a two line box (or two boxes) and sign up for two incoming accounts.

There are NO per call charges, everything is done per month OR per minute. In my case, I get unlimited incoming and pay 2 cents/min for outgoing. When people call in and are local to my designated area code, the call is essentially free for both parties, however long.

Buy the SPA-2102 for about $70. This will allow me to use my current, plain old telephone via the plain old telephone port(s) on the 2102.

And, why did you chose the 2102? Is it the best bang for the buck, or is it just easy to use, or was it sort of an arbitrary choice?

Like, for example, what about the SPA3102? It only has a single telephone port, I guess, though. Still . . . just curious about the differences/advantages between them.

Here's a nice primer

The PAP2T is one line, no QoS
The 2102 is two lines, with QoS (can also function as a PAP2T)
The 3102 is one line in, one line out, with QoS

So the big plus of the 3102 is you can have POTS running at your place and go between the phone company and VoIP with the same phone setup. But you give up the second VoIP line to do it. For me, the second line for faxing was more important.

As for why Linksys, because its a Sipura, one of the oldest names in voip and I liked the features of the 2102. Also important is that this line is popular with a variety of service providers, both closed and open.

BTW, the best way to deploy this is with a multi handset cordless phone. Plug the base unit into the SPA and scatter the handsets all over your house.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Extra note: If this replaces a land line (which can function without power) operation becomes more important. Pay the extra for 911 service and put your cable/dsl modem, phone base, voip box, and all routers/switches on a UPS.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool. I just did the more thorough VoIP speed test and I show green on all the dots, and 937 kbps download/upload speed.

I'm think I'm gonna do this thang! Wow!

But I want a number which is local to my area (which they are showing as available), and I do want unlimited calls in, $6/mo, and 911 capability.

I didn't see the link to add 911, but I'm sure I'll find it.

And I don't need two numbers, OR two lines. I never fax. But, I suppose call waiting isn't a bad option to keep open. Is that hard to configure with the 2102?

As for the 3102, no way will I keep POTS if I do this VoIP thing. I'm sick of paying those bastids so much money every month for our phone service. It's crazy.

As for a UPS, I was definitely going to get one for this setup, but the thing is that it seems they are fairly unreliable, and go through batteries (at no small expense) every year or so. Can you recommend a really good UPS, even if it is expensive? And it would only need a minimal amount of VA to run the stuff. Not sure what the total will be when I add it all up, but it'll be small, I'm sure.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Cool. I just did the more thorough VoIP speed test and I show green on all the dots, and 937 kbps download/upload speed.

Look'n good! Since you don't need a second line or upstream support, you'll want the cheapest box with QoS, in this case the 2102.

I didn't see the link to add 911, but I'm sure I'll find it.

Its actually a legal requirement in the US with primary lines, so sign up is almost automatic.

And I don't need two numbers, OR two lines. I never fax. But, I suppose call waiting isn't a bad option to keep open. Is that hard to configure with the 2102?

Have a look here on the left:
http://www.callcentric.com/features/

Everything under 'Basic Features' is included with the service and configurable not in the box, but in the CC web site / control panel. Options in the box itself are about making the connection, not so much what you do with it. Think of the box's job as simulating POTS. When you get into the box interface, you'll see what I mean. Options formerly reserved for telcom engineers. I normally pick things up pretty fast, and I spent months learning how not to screw up the config before I came up with the formula in the OP.

Can you recommend a really good UPS, even if it is expensive? And it would only need a minimal amount of VA to run the stuff.

I generally prefer Tripp Lite and APC. The tendancy with UPS' is to get a high capacity version of a low end model. I prefer the opposite approach, getting a low capacity, high end model.

APC Smart-UPS SC 420VA 120V (SC420)​

You can also use the RJ-45 ports to protect your network from spikes on the cable or DSL line. As simple as the unit looks, the battery itself looks even more so. To bad they're not made by AW.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK. My 2102 arrives today, and I have set up a CallCentric account, but my local phone number for incoming calls will take a bit longer to be show up. I'll probably wait until I have that to configure the 2102, I think.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that I can port my existing number over to CallCentric if I want to, although it will take a while and will cost $25. Still, that's a definite plus and something which is, for me, worth the money.

As for a UPS, I got to thinking that it would have to be huge to last any significant length of time, so I think I'll get a Go Phone for emergency power outage call type situations. Yes, I know, the cell towers may also be down. Still. Plus, we can take a Go Phone with us on long trips, which is a definite plus. The last time I got stranded at an airport and had to call work, it cost me a freaking bundle of money. It was so annoying to find that I couldn't buy a stupid phone card at any store in the airport. Last time I ever fly through Detroit.

Anyway, I'm excited about this VoIP thing and will be reporting on my experience.

ElectronGuru,

One question. You say:

6) Under Voice/Line [1/2]. If you have excellent bandwidth (ie cable modem), change Preferred Codec to G711u and Second Preferred Codec to G729a. Also set DTMF Tx Method to Auto. Otherwise, follow your providers guide. Click 'Submit All Changes'

Can you explain? And is 900 kbps "excellent" bandwidth or no? I would guess "no."

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

My 2102 arrives today, and I have set up a CallCentric account, but my local phone number for incoming calls will take a bit longer to be show up. I'll probably wait until I have that to configure the 2102, I think.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that I can port my existing number over to CallCentric if I want to, although it will take a while and will cost $25.

Normally, I subscribe to "all at once" configuring, but since you are porting an active phone number: When the phone number switches over, you want it to hit the ground running, so the box should be fully configured and tested when it does. And configurations for out only (which you can already do) are identical to in/out configurations - so you won't be changing anything later.

Anyway, I'm excited about this VoIP thing and will be reporting on my experience.

Looks like you're the first person to try my directions, so report any snags and I can make improvements.

Can you explain? And is 900 kbps "excellent" bandwidth or no? I would guess "no."

Correct, essentially "bandwidth to burn". That being the case, once you get the hang of the web interface, its easy to change back and forth. Log in, find the page, change the setting, save the setting, wait a few seconds for the box to reboot, and place your call. The either case, the box will automatically take the bandwidth it needs, its more a question of how much you want to have left for data during calls.

By all means, try both settings and see if the extra bandwidth is worth it for you.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK. So, I don't see any place to set QoS to "On When Phone In Use."

The QOS settings are "QOS QDisc = TBF or NONE," and "Maximum uplink speed = a number".

I also couldn't find where to set a second preferred codex, but only the preferred codex.

And, I can no longer adjust the settings on my DD-WRT v23 Linksys router, but that has nothing to do with this 2102 or callcentric. I suspect it has to do with it being a 2006 firmware package that doesn't seem to mesh with the latest and greatest web browsers. I will have to flash my router to DD-WRT v24 SP1 or possibly Tomato, I think.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

And also my download speed is the same, but my upload speed is now 700 kbs, which is, not coincidentally 80 percent of my bandwith, and close to equal to the max I specified in the 2102 GUI.

I also didn't do anything with the firmware step and .bin file and all that. I'll try to figure that out later. Time to go to bed.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, it turns out that my inability to change settings is because the stupid dd-wrt web gui is incredibly browser picky. Apparently, the fix is to use IE 7 browser.

I'm not impressed. Oh well, I'll just borrow a PC laptop from work for an evening. Because v24 of dd-wrt has this same problem. I think I'm leaning more and more towards Tomato.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

ElectronGuru,

One question:

How would you recommend configuring the LAN? Should the 2102 ethernet port be set for DHCP, and the router also for DHCP? Or should I set the 2102 ethernet port for the static IP of the router, and the router to the static IP of the 2102? Or what?

OH! And I should mention that I got everything working last night, but didn't leave it active and set up because I wasn't able to change my router settings to work downstream of the 2102. But, yes, I followed instructions and called out to my landline, and in from my landline to my VoIP line. Very cool. Sound quality was definitely better with the codex you recommended over the 729a (711 was it?) And there was, from my first impressions, minimal delay and jitter and distortion. Better than cell phone, and close to POTS, as you say.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, the VoIP box downstream gets set to the static IP of the router, and the router upstream gets set to the static IP of the VoIP box? And the router downstream is set to DHCP, obviously.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
OK. So, I don't see any place to set QoS to "On When Phone In Use." The QOS settings are "QOS QDisc = TBF or NONE," and "Maximum uplink speed = a number".

I also couldn't find where to set a second preferred codex, but only the preferred codex.

These are features available on the current firmware. I have not tested this configuration with 3.x or 4.x, so you can give it a try or upgrade straight away. Finding the upgrade is a challenge so I'll post on that when I find it again.

And also my download speed is the same, but my upload speed is now 700 kbs, which is, not coincidentally 80 percent of my bandwith, and close to equal to the max I specified in the 2102 GUI.

The principal here is that when more than 80% of available throughput is consumed, lag time and packet prioritization increases and call quality degrades. 700kbs tested speed means the setting is working correctly. After everything is working, feel free to to play with the number to see if your config needs the margin. Getting the 200k back may be worth it.

How would you recommend configuring the LAN? Should the 2102 ethernet port be set for DHCP, and the router also for DHCP? Or should I set the 2102 ethernet port for the static IP of the router, and the router to the static IP of the 2102? Or what?

There are a few options here, but avoid having double-NAT (two dhcp's with nat) and never put two dhcp's on the same network. Whoever is first (connected between the modem and network) should be the DHCP server, with all down stream boxes set to bridged. As you want to use the QoS in the 2102, leave it as is with dhcp and turn off the nat/dhcp in the router. I'm assuming here than the 2102 is set upstream of everything but the modem.

A network can have fix IP, dhcp without reservations, and dhcp with reservations. For simplicity, set the the 2102 to work with your modem, dhcp and QoS turned on. Set the wireless router with dhcp and nat turned off (use the 2102 as the router). I've never tried it, but if you upgrade to Tomato on the wireless router, it should have QoS and you can reverse the two boxes. For now, lets keep it simple.

OH! And I should mention that I got everything working last night, but didn't leave it active and set up because I wasn't able to change my router settings to work downstream of the 2102. But, yes, I followed instructions and called out to my landline, and in from my landline to my VoIP line. Very cool. Sound quality was definitely better with the codex you recommended over the 729a (711 was it?) And there was, from my first impressions, minimal delay and jitter and distortion. Better than cell phone, and close to POTS, as you say.

Now we're cooking! Now we just need to iron out the wrinkles to get you going.

So, the VoIP box downstream gets set to the static IP of the router, and the router upstream gets set to the static IP of the VoIP box? And the router downstream is set to DHCP, obviously.

Important: If the router is upstream and has no QoS to give priority to voice packets, priority will be equal and voice packets will have to complete with data packets, increasing jitter and the like. In this configuration, call quality may degrade every time the Internet is otherwise in use. If the router has QoS or the 2102 is upstream with QoS turned on, it manages the packets and give priority to the voice packets.

Think of QoS like a multi-valve manifold for a garden hose. If the QoS is downstream (at the end of the garden hose), it won't matter how the valves are set, anything upstream can take the water (bandwidth) first.

Last edited: