Battery Junction - Olight
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to maintenence Eneloops?

Default Re: Best way to maintenence Eneloops?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_ninja View Post
    Fridge is not applicable. LSDs are designed to hold charge for a long time at normal temps. Therefore there is no need for fridge, etc. You simply store them any place at normal temps, any place not exposed to direct sun light would be fine.
    I know fridge is not applicable, however, since it is a NiMH battery, storing it in the fridge helps lower it's discharge rate by 5% or something.

Most people cant be bothered to do so as the rate that the fridge helps it is too low.

Quote Originally Posted by kay188 View Post
    I know fridge is not applicable, however, since it is a NiMH battery, storing it in the fridge helps lower it's discharge rate by 5% or something.

Most people cant be bothered to do so as the rate that the fridge helps it is too low.
    Somewhere, out in Internet land, is a R/C electric flier who did tests on the Eneloops when they first came to market. His review prompted some a response, and clarification of certain points, from Sanyo Europe. One of those was the slowdown of self-discharge by lowering the storage temperature. Basically, yes, the fridge is good for Eneloops, but it depends on how long you're going to store them and what the ambient temp would have been had you not stuck 'em in the fridge.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by clintb View Post
    Somewhere, out in Internet land, is a R/C electric flier who did tests on the Eneloops when they first came to market. His review prompted some a response, and clarification of certain points, from Sanyo Europe. One of those was the slowdown of self-discharge by lowering the storage temperature. Basically, yes, the fridge is good for Eneloops, but it depends on how long you're going to store them and what the ambient temp would have been had you not stuck 'em in the fridge.
    I think you are talking about this -> http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html

Unenlightened

So what would be the best way to charge and maintain Eneloops with the LaCrosse BC-9009? They are usually charged every several months.

Will my eneloops be ok in this charger for now?
    http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/CHDC.pdf

I plan on ordering the eneloop charger when I get some more batteries, but will that do for now?

Flashaholic*

here is one for you guy's -
    I have about 25 pcs AA Eneloop cells (a few too many apparently) - that were not getting used/cycled very often over the last year or two.

So after reading these posts - I put them all through a refresh/analyze and also a break-in on my MH-C9000 - and those that were not showing good capacity (below 1900) I ran a few more times through a refresh/analyze several times more, and if needed also a break-in or two...
    all of these cells ended up at approx 1950-2000mah range

EXCEPT for two cells!
    these two cells got better after 1-2 R/A then got worse each time thereafter - and are now down to low 1700maH
    (These two have probably been R/A 8-10 times and B-I about 4 times)

Any ideas?
    run several more R/A, or B-I, or cycles, or save them for backup use?

NOTE: have about a dozen AAA's that refreshed to expected levels.
    Last edited by lebox97; 07-24-2009 at 08:58 AM.
    the reality of life... 50% +/- of it will be in darkness(unless you have a light!) dba
    - compare lights

I'm storing all my batteries in the fridge when not in use (Eneloops, Tenergy D Premiums for my TK70 and 18650s - all of them around 50% charged). Is there anything wrong with that habit?
    (I'm trying to cycle them regularly.)

I researched with Google and here in CPF posts but can't find a definite answer. PLEASE PLEASE HELP.
    "Do not Weep. I shall draw all Things which perish into myself When I am lifted from the Earth." ~ Begotten (1991)

Silver Moderator

Hello Anzycpethian,

50% charged is good for Li-Ion, and OK for NiMh cells. NiMh cells actually do a little better when they are discharged to 0.9 volts at a 1C discharge rate. Then you do a charge/discharge cycle frequently. If you want to keep them in top condition you run the cycle once a month. They will also do quite nicely if you stretch that out to once every three months.

Eneloop and other low self discharge cells are a little different. Most people charge them up and have them ready to go. Extended storage in a charged condition doesn't seem to effect their performance very much. Storing at 50% charge in cool temperatures may give you a little better results, but I don't think anyone has tested those conditions.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

I run them down in the device (flashlight,radio etc) as low as they can go, then charge them up fully and put them in storage rotation in a drawer. They seem to like being run right down then to receive a full charge. Half discharges or charges they dont seem to hold charge as long. In rotation they get used and charged about once or twice a month.

Cheers

Flashaholic*

I find having teenagers who use X-Box remotes are very useful for cycling cells. The remotes drain the cells fairly completely.

Unfortunately the expense of feeding the teenagers negates any cost savings to be had from going to Eneloop rechargeables.

Quote Originally Posted by tandem View Post
    Unfortunately the expense of feeding the teenagers negates any cost savings to be had from going to Eneloop rechargeables.
    Good one, tandem

I subscribed to this thread because it was very important to me and now just by chance I see that gmail treats the update-on-the-thread-mail as spam, argh...

Anyway, thank you for your answers!
    "Do not Weep. I shall draw all Things which perish into myself When I am lifted from the Earth." ~ Begotten (1991)

Quote Originally Posted by Anzycpethian View Post
    ...I see that gmail treats the update-on-the-thread-mail as spam, argh...
    <rant> In my experience, so-called "spam filters" are the cure that is worse than the disease. The part I hate most is when they refuse me the option of turning the damned things OFF. </rant>

Lightbulb Make Candlepower Forums a Contact...

I subscribed to this thread because it was very important to me and now just by chance I see that gmail treats the update-on-the-thread-mail as spam, argh...
    Try adding the Candlepower 'Sender' address to your Contacts List / Address Book and see what happens.

Flashaholic

That is easy to fix. In the spam folder, select the mails that aren't spam ... and hit the "Not spam" button. Gmail will stop treating them as spam.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12