Mag 6D Help. Don't want to make same mistake twice.

Deputy T.

Newly Enlightened
I have, well had, a 6 D-Cell Maglite. I used 6 Duracell D alkalines to power a Reflectalite GH-24 bulb. This light was left in the back seat of my car for use when I needed a big light for one reason or other. I used a Costo 12 pack of batteries to feed this light carefully repackaging the remaining 6 batteries the assure they did not mix up with used batteries. The first batch of batteries lasted for about two months before needing changing. I popped the second set in about four months ago and the light has seen regular use since.

Last week I when I tried the light it was completely dead. I noticed slight bubbling at the bottom of the reflector and naturally I'm assuming that light had rolled into a position in which it was activated. The switch was off so it must not have engaged all the way. I left the light as it was in the car untill I was able to get new batteries about 5 days later (yesterday.)

Now ready to bring new life to one of my favorite lights I opend the tail cap only to find the bottom battery had burst open. I banged the tube on the concrete unable to break the batteries loose and ended up damaging the end of the tube. frustrated I removed the head and the bulb and threw out the rest of the light.

Now this was one of my most useful lights and I plan on replacing it but I would like to know where things went wrong.

As far as I can tell the problem could be:

1) The 1.9 amps was more than the alkalines could handle. But I find that hard to swollow considering the Mag Xenon bulb is 1.7 amps.

2) Storing the light in the car which spends most of its days in direct Hawaii sunlight.

3) The light being left on running was too long for the the batteries to sustain such a high draw, or the batteries were over dishcharged.

Now I've ordered a second a second 6D from amazon and I need to figure out how I'm going to set it up.

Now I would like to continue to use primary alkaline batteries. and I hoping #3 is the problem. Then I could still use the GH-24, and just be more careful where I leave the light. I already spot in the car where the light is protected from accidental activation.

Now I #1 is the problem, my solution would be to change to led. I've been looking for an excuse to buy a Terrelux TLE-300M.

But if #2 is the problem I supose I'm going to have to ditch the idea of leaving the light in the car altogether, because I do not plan on changing battery chemestry. I really don't want invest in LSD nimh or any other hot car storage friendly batteries.

Please help, any input is greatly appreciated.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) the standard MagXenon bulb draws only 0.76A

2) is almost certainly the problem

3) alkaline batteries are just as likely to leak whether fully charged or empty.

The bulb (or LED) is irrelevant to the problem of leakage. I say, invest in 6 rechargeable D cells. You will have to recharge them periodically, but all other problems will go away.

Deputy T.

Newly Enlightened

I had figured as much but I guess I've been in denial since I've been lucky with the 3c with a Malkoff dropin that's lived in the same car longer the the 6D.

3) alkaline batteries are just as likely to leak whether fully charged or empty.

The bulb (or LED) is irrelevant to the problem of leakage. I say, invest in 6 rechargeable D cells. You will have to recharge them periodically, but all other problems will go away.

6 D-Cell rechargeable batteries+charger just isn't a jump I'm ready to take. I supose I'll just have to use my 2D ROP on eneloops in its place 'tell I'm ready for the next step. 6D would make a nice bedside light.

R@ndom said:
Remember the metal reflector, boro lense and rop bulbs!

I got boro in all 9 of my Mags. The damage GH-24 have done to my plastic reflectors has never had any noticable effect on the beam quality. I'm well stocked on Pelican bulbs. My 2c ROP low has been one of my primary duty lights ever since I've found CPF early 2008.:thumbsup:

MorePower

Enlightened
1) the standard MagXenon bulb draws only 0.76A

lctorana -

You're flat-out wrong about (3). Alkaline cells are more likely to leak after they are partially discharged, and even more likely to leak when overdischarged. Keeping overdischarged cells in a hot car practically guarantees that they will leak.

Deputy T. -

If you hadn't thrown away the light, you could have contacted Duracell about the leaking cell. Duracell, Rayovac, and Energizer all will repair or replace items damaged by cell leakage. In the case of something like a Mag, they typically just send you a check for replacement cost.

Deputy T.

Newly Enlightened
What about running the GH-24 on alkalines in general. Was that something I shouldn't have done?

I had a 6C with the same bulb on alkalines, but after this experience, I pulled them all out and loaded it with eneloops in AA=>C adaptors. I don't know what I'd ever do if I lost that light.

I've been pricing the LSD D-Cells and C-Cells today (Accupower in particular) along with the Maha MH-C808M Battery Charger...ouch! Maybe one day when I'm ready to ROP my 6 cell lights I'll take that leap. But its more than I wish to put down to fire up a 10 watt bulb.

If you hadn't thrown away the light, you could have contacted Duracell about the leaking cell. Duracell, Rayovac, and Energizer all will repair or replace items damaged by cell leakage. In the case of something like a Mag, they typically just send you a check for replacement cost.

I remember hearing about that before, but in my frustration I wasn't thinking clearly.

MorePower

Enlightened
What about running the GH-24 on alkalines in general. Was that something I shouldn't have done?

It shouldn't have been a problem.

Since the voltage of the alkaline cells drops rapidly under high current discharge, the current drops rapidly as well (this is for resistive loads like an incan bulb only).

Regulated electronics will draw more current as voltage drops to maintain constant power to the LED, so that's a case where initial current draw will be the lower than at any other part of the regulated portion of runtime.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If possible, store your light in the trunk, which is the coolest place in a car during hot summer days. If your Mag was exposed to direct sunlight coming through a rear window, it was baking at over 160 degrees..