Uniq continuously variable tailcap problems

Zerog024

Newly Enlightened
I got the Uniq continuously variable tailcap from lighthound and found that it seems to only like 2x or more cr123a to even work in my flashlight. I use a single 18650 and it won't light up at all. My 123a were almost dead so I will have to get more at work to test it more.

My flashlights are both solarforce L2s with a solarforce R2 and an ebay Q5.

Also I wanted to know if Sony 123a were good to use in flashlights?

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the sony 123's

But I can suggest, if you're gonna be using a lithium light it's well worth your while to get rechargables.

ultrafire 139 charger (check 4seven's website) and PILA chargers are well reguarded. Some people get by with dealextreme chargers, wmmv.

seriously, rechargables...do it safe and you'll use your lights several times a day.

redsfairlane

Newly Enlightened
In one or two other threads it has been mentioned that the Uniq tail cap does need two or more cells to function well, mine does not like eating a single cell either.

If the Sony cells are made in USA/Japan, they are most likely good, but it seems to be the toss of a coin for cells made in China.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Same with mine. It likes 6 volts at least starting. I have same issue with AW's soft start switch for P, C series lights, though it will light up on one LiIon, but not at full power.

Bill

Zerog024

Newly Enlightened
I did a search but didn't see it said the 6v+ thing. Well its useless to me. Will be putting it up in the for sale area.

Sector7

Enlightened
Do a search within CPF, there has been several threads mentioning
the tail cap, it reacts differently with the different type of drop-ins, such as getting moonlight mode when turned off and it needs 6v and higher to act properly, in addition, it has a parasitic drain that was mentioned rendering the torch dead in a few weeks.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I did a post in this thread in March this year about it need ing 6 or more volts to operate properly. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2680842

and another thread was posted prior to that about the Uniq noting several times that the Uniq did poorly on a single LiIon. Use google, cpf only at the top of every page. I put in Uniq continuously variable tailcap, and found some threads.

Bill

Latest posts