Looking for good camp/tent light, must be...

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
extremely light weight. This is a gift for a friend who's a hiking fiend and calculates object weights he carries to the last ounce. I was thinking Bonfire Blaze, but have never seen one or had experience with one. He needs it as an all around camplight and one to hang inside the tent. It also needs to be able to use lithium AA's because winter and below zero temperatures are his favorite camp times. I know, I think he's crazy too! (the lithium AA's are lighter in weight, aren't they?).

obeck

Newly Enlightened
CMG Infinity Ultra. Its about 2oz, runs for about 12 hours bright on a single lithium AA, and continues for many more hours in "moon" mode. It is about as bright as a normal mini maglite.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Might want to look at one of the Eternalites. I have a Marine model which comes with Li batteries and will float usint Li batteries. The light is dimmable in a gazillion steps. It also has several strobe modes which could come in handy if you wish to be found.

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
How about a PrincetonTec Aurora?

For camping, I don't think you can beat an LED headlamp. This one has adjustable, microprocessor-controlled brightness, two strobe settings, VERY light weight. (which your buddy might actually use by the sound of him, hehehe) It is smaller than a pager, straps to your forehead with a single elastic strap. (a single one is plenty for this featherweight) Also, the manual on mine doesn't say to avoide lithiums. However, with a battery life of 50 hours on the high setting, they might not be necessary.

When setting up tents and whatnot, it is good to have your hands free...

All this for only $25, probably less on eBay...

-Jeremy

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How about a PrincetonTec Aurora?

Smaug,

I'll be sure to pass along your insinuations of weakness!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

"This one has..." Which one? Did you mean to include a link or name of the unit?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

He changed the title of the thread on you!

Blikbok

Enlightened

The PT Aurora is <$20 over at Brightguy and Meridian Tactical.

The CMG with clip can double as an improvised headlight on the brim of a hat, and the lanyard can dangle from the light loop in the tent. This multifunctionality might appeal to him.

I would never be anywhere without a CMG, and few places with out a LED headlamp.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Given the request: the Aurora is out of the picture, as it uses AAAs (too many LED headlamps do).

The PT Matrix or Solo with Matrix Module would do fine in camp and in tent. It also takes advantage of Lithium AAs, with around 100 hours regulated light level per pair of Lithium AAs.

For a Single AA:

Brightness over runtime = CMG Infinity Ultra

Runtime over brightness = CMG Infinity

Another lithium based LED light, is the Inova X5T. It uses two CR123A batteries and gives about 25 hours per pair.

CR123As can be had quite cheap online.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
The Bonfire Blaze has only one main function that I can see and that is to hang and give a flood of light.
In the situation described above I'd go with the Inretech 2aa using Lithiums.
Have a lanyard through the tail cap and remove the head for when it needs to be hung inside the tent, then when it's time to move pop the head back on and away you go, you now have a light that's focused through optics infinitely brighter than a standard Mini-mag and much more durable than a Bonfire Blaze.
Get a NitEze head band and he's now got a perfectly usable headlamp to boot.

Being somewhere cold, dark and a long where from home (supplies) with the need to keep weight down the Inretech 2aa with Lithium's is going to be IMHO a valuable tool.

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a good camp/tent light, must be...

Sorry about changing the thread. I didn't realize it was frowned upon here. I have spent no small amount of time on another forum (www.timezone.com) where it is encouraged. They have some method of knowing which posts go with which threads so that it doesn't matter if you change the topic. In fact, it is often helpful, as it tells you where that part of the thread is going. It can either save you from wasting time on something you don't need to read, or lure you into reading it. I think it is a great idea, but if CPF doesn't work that way, I will not be inconsiderate.

-Jeremy

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
extremely light weight....

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been surfing some of the ultralight websites lately, and many of these folks object to something as heavy as 2oz. It would help if you could tell us if your friend considers himself an ultralight backpacker or not. If he does, then you should know that they tend to use photon IIs.

I am not an ultralight backpacker, so I like to use an Infinity and a 3AA LED headlamp.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux,

No, he's not that extreme. He'd consider something in the 2 oz range. He was going to continue using just his old incan headlamp until I convinced hime he could literally be up the creek without a flashlight (he likes going in what would be for me the bitter cold). I have been making small led unit suggestions ala Infinity Ultra.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
Get a MadMax and a MiniMag, have a machine shop cut off one battery length and re-do a thread at the end---now it's a one AA (rechargables, alkalines, lithium, Li-ion, whatever you can find), small, bright, and also "candle mode"-able light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got back from a week of camping in South Dakota...

Two lights I consider indespensible for camping:

Infinity Ultra
...1 AA, lasts about 20 hours.
...Hang from lanyard or in the mouth easily to point it hands free
...Rugged as a tank

Energizer folding 2-LED lantern
...4 AAs, lasts up to 200 hours.
...Hang in a tent
...Adjustable brightness (1 or 2 LEDs on)
...Angle of light head completely adjustable to put light where you want it
...GREAT reading light for in the tent, lay it on your chest and point light at book.
...$9 at Walmart

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second that Energizer folding 2-LED lantern; very bright for the length of time it runs. Well worth the money.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED mods,
To make an easier mod for the Minimag or Brinkmann 2AA into a 1AA light it is quite simple. Get a tubing cutter and cut the light 3/4ths of the way up the tube. Then cut the tubing so it would be a 1AA. Now, get a small tube that will just fit over the two pieces of the minimag tube and slide it on.
If it fits quite tight, put some flux on the tubes for the soldering process. It will look rather odd, but if you affix a rubber matting to the added outside tube...it should be fine. You maybe able to stretch the Brinkmann rubber on the tube. No tapping the end of the tube!
I need to get a MM module to try this out. It should work and be rather simple to do, only requires a metal tube, flux, solder, tubing cutter and a torch.

Latest posts