EDI-T dive light

spearsniper

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the converted camp - I used to lug a UK1200 around, but have since picked up a nice little EDI-T torch (same company that makes those shake lights).
It puts out more light, has the option of 5 modes that are selectable from a collar around the barrel, and will fit in a BC pocket. This one puts out 250lm, but they have a slightly bigger version that does 700lm - still on a single 18650 battery.

EDI-T_D2.jpg

spearsniper

Newly Enlightened
Re: UK C8 LED

I got this one direct from the manafacturer as a sample. I am giving it a good thrashing to see if it will be any good as a daytime light for cray diving. Works out it is. Also ok as a primary night dive torch. I still prefer the 1000+ lumen upgrade I have for the UK1200 in the dark of night.

Looking at the Oxycheck RaiderIII, I would say these are produced by the same company. Even the battery charging can is the same.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm impressed with the selector ring.
Long standing peave with dive lights was lack of intuitive UI, it will be very interesting to see how this lasts for you.
Any more info on it? Is it magnetic, mechanical? depth rating?

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks but I will pass. I think I have far to many dive lights here as it is!
Does it use a reflector or aspheric?

spearsniper

Newly Enlightened

I'm impressed with the selector ring.
Long standing peave with dive lights was lack of intuitive UI, it will be very interesting to see how this lasts for you.
Any more info on it? Is it magnetic, mechanical? depth rating?

The selector ring is magnetic, and works very well. The depth rating is 100meters (330ft).

I will have to tie it to a rope and throw it over the side to do a 100M test

spearsniper

Newly Enlightened

Thanks but I will pass. I think I have far to many dive lights here as it is!
Does it use a reflector or aspheric?

This one has a reflector and flat lens, but the wider angle version has the aspheric lens???

I dropped a 28mm DX aspheric over the flat lens, and almost had a projection of the LED die on the wall. With some work, I think this may make an awesome daytime cray torch.

burna

Newly Enlightened
Spearsniper, would you be able to post some beamshots?

I have seen one that looks very similar and uses 2xCR123. Would I be able to replace the CR123's with 1x 18650 rechargeable?

250 lumen would be perfect for me for night diving, I don't like it to be too bright. I use a Fronta 3 watt (60 lumen I think) at the moment which has been a good torch for me, but would like something that puts out a little more light without having the bulk of a UK C4 or Princeton Miniwave.

Thanks in advance

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will have to tie it to a rope and throw it over the side to do a 100M test

good choice...

re: selector ring - thanx for the feedback.
If you recieved as a demo, did the manufacture give you any ideas for larger release, the cost etc?
imho dive lights have lagged behind, from first apperances this is a nice change.

spearsniper

Newly Enlightened
Spearsniper, would you be able to post some beamshots?

I have seen one that looks very similar and uses 2xCR123. Would I be able to replace the CR123's with 1x 18650 rechargeable?

I will be able to do above water beam shots easily, but in water may be an issue at the moment due to the limited visibility that comes with winter diving. What sort of range would you like to see for the beamshots - I can do up to 40ft in the back yard.

These are manafactured for a number of different battery configurations:
1 x 18650, 1 x 18490, 2 x cr123a, 1 x 17650 or 2 x cr123a, 3 x AA.

If the 18650 battery will fit (might be a bit tight), it will work in the cr123 body.

spearsniper

Newly Enlightened

If you recieved as a demo, did the manufacture give you any ideas for larger release, the cost etc?
imho dive lights have lagged behind, from first apperances this is a nice change.

The retail cost of these looks like it will be around the US$80 mark, so definately not a cheap dive light.

I'm sure I can do a much better price than this for the CPF members.

There is no issues with getting large quantities of these.

I am looking at getting a few more of the diving range to try out shortly, including some 700lumen versions that are not shown of the edi-t website at the moment.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast

The retail cost of these looks like it will be around the US$80 mark, so definately not a cheap dive light.

I'm sure I can do a much better price than this for the CPF members.

There is no issues with getting large quantities of these.

I am looking at getting a few more of the diving range to try out shortly, including some 700lumen versions that are not shown of the edi-t website at the moment.

That sounds interesting:devil:

burna

Newly Enlightened
I will be able to do above water beam shots easily, but in water may be an issue at the moment due to the limited visibility that comes with winter diving. What sort of range would you like to see for the beamshots - I can do up to 40ft in the back yard.

If the 18650 battery will fit (might be a bit tight), it will work in the cr123 body.

burna

Newly Enlightened

Ideally, if you could do 5-10 metres (15-30ft) that would be great.
Thanks
:thumbsup:

spearsniper

Newly Enlightened
Here's a couple of above water beamshots. Range to fence is 10 meters.
Camera set at ISO400, F5, 6 second exposure.
First, heres my fully charged UK 1200. 12 watt halogen bulb.
uk_1200_high.jpg

The EDI-T D2
edi-t_d2_18650_high.jpg

spearsniper

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure where you can pick these up in the US, but I will be getting a few more samples in , so can up the order if you are interested.
The cost will change with the rise and fall of the exchange rate, but for CPF members, I will say US$70 + $10 postage.

spearsniper

Newly Enlightened
The beam is not actually that blue. The white balance on the camera was set for incan lights. Hence why the uk1200 did not have a really yellow beam.

I just put on a pair of 7mm dive gloves I used to use with my drysuit, and could activate the selector ring with no issues. In fact it is easier than turing on the switch of the UK1200.