18v Ryobi flashlight 4 r2 led driver help me please

037981mp

Newly Enlightened
Hello cpf I was wondering because I am a newb .on my 18v Ryobi flashlight 4 XR-E's R2. Do I run one buckpuck or something else I want to run then to 1000ma and also is it worth over driving them ....and how do i wire them:grin2:
specs....
18v
4led Solarforce CREE R2 LED 5 OUTPUTS
# Use a CREE 7090 XR-E R2 LED 5 mode cool white
# Lifetime up to 50,000 hours
# CREE LED R2 an aluminum reflector (light orange-peel-textured reflective coating)
# 5 level of output (300, 150, 75 lumens, strobe, SOS) with Memory
# Memeory function: to use the same level next time, press the butt for 2 seconds to turn off.
# Input Voltage: 3.0-8.4v
# Max Input Current: 1000mAh
# Diameter: 26mm
:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Cree R2 LED 5 output? That doesn't exist. The Cree XR-E is only a LED, a single chip, it doesn't have any built drivers which provide different output levels.

And for what you seem to want for a control scheme, you'll need an "electronic clickie" (I don't remember the technical term for it). Think a key on your keyboard, that's the kind of switch I'm speaking of.

The absolute max for the Shark Buck is 25v, so it might work too. You can use it with the Remora to provide the modes.

:welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Series is when you wire the components one after another, parallel is when they are wired next to each other. Maybe a picture would help. Pretend the equal signs are the LEDs and the lines are the wires:
Series:
-=-=-=-=-

Parallel (the wires connect to each other at the beginning and the end):
|-=-|
|-=-|
|-=-|
|-=-|

This could help.

Series mean higher voltage needed to power the LEDs. Each Cree XR-E white is around 3.7v (variations can be between 3.4 and 3.9v), so wiring them in series should give 3.7*4= 14.8v. The current supplied will be the same for all the LEDs.

Wiring them in parallel will add the current, so 4*1=4 amps total at 3.7v. But the different voltage needs for each LED means they will be powered at different currents. One lower Vf(forward voltage) could be taking in 2 amps while a higher Vf one might only be taking in 0.5 amps.

037981mp

Newly Enlightened
So i guess Series is the best for me but I really don't know I'm sitting here scratching my head but can someone help me work this out

And also is it worth it taking the LED out of the module

Do you have any pictures or similar 4 led series or no anyone that has picturesof the wiring

and what is the best wire for this any old wire I really don't know

And also I bought one 1000ma buckpuck 3203-d-n-1000. I hope it comes:ohgeez:

And four the heat sink should I just use a piece of aluminium and use Arctic Silver or any old compound thank you for your help CPf

if there is anything else please feel free to tell me:twothumbs:eek:

thank you for your help Gunner11

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Do you already have the modules? If not, then you should just get the LEDs instead of spending extra on the modules and removing the LEDs from them.

I also think series would be best for you.

This thread has 4 Seoul P4s wired in series, which could help you picture how things will work. It should be similar to what you want to do except the different sizes of heatsink and that it uses a boost circuit and you'll use a buck circuit.

As for the wire itself, I'm not too sure. Probably something in the 10s (AWG wire gauge). From the little that I know, 20-15 gauge should be good. I'd wait till someone else responds first to make sure. As long as it can take 1 amp continuous.

Make sure you have enough heatsinking. Could you get a picture of what you will be using?

thank you for your help Gunner11
Gunner12? :p

Glad I could help!

037981mp

Newly Enlightened
high I have already bought the 4 modules and driver and lots of other stuff like 8 r2 3p7 and Arctic Silver and 1mce. buckpuck 1 3203-d-n-1000 the 4modules should be coming tomorrow i should get some pics as soon as possible wen i get the stuff :popcorn:

but How do you put pics up

Last edited:

mds82

Enlightened
I did the same thing with my Ryobi.... Follow these instructions

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/218092

use 4 Cree XR-E's,
use 1 3023-d-e-n-1000 BucKPucks
http://ledsupply.com/03023-d-n-1000.php

Wire then all in Series
I Dremmeled out the head of the Ryobi to only leave the outer shell. then cut a CPU heatsink in a round shape and make it fit

I wanted to NOT use reflectors so that it gives a full flood of light. It is about 10-20x brighter then that dumb stock bulb.

3800x600.jpg

Last edited:

037981mp

Newly Enlightened
High I probably do the same as you but I will use 4 xre r2 with reflectors but I still don't know that the heat sink i think i will use copper and cut it to size or maybe aluminium

mds82

Enlightened
High I probably do the same as you but I will use 4 xre r2 with reflectors but I still don't know that the heat sink i think i will use copper and cut it to size or maybe aluminium

OK, i just had an extra CPU heat sink laying around and cut it to size - That was the biggest Pain !!! The BuckPuck i just stuck inside the body.

Also, you probalby want to drill holes in the case to allow for some heat to get out.

Hope it turns out well

If you want some flood to the light, maybe run 2 led's with optics, 2 without. This way you get the throw you need and a lot of flood to fill the room your working on.

037981mp

Newly Enlightened
How do I wire the buckpuck to led. i and so confused their is 6 wires led +
led- ctl(0-5V) REF(+5V) VIN+ VIN- .rich wires go where :ohgeez:

037981mp

Newly Enlightened
I did this drawling of the wiring is it's meant to look like this

Last edited:

mds82

Enlightened
Ya, that wiring is correct!

the Buckpuck 3023-d-n-1000 has 4 wires, you dont need the version with the 6 wires, that is only for dimming, which you dont need.

037981mp

Newly Enlightened
I am pretty angry because i had a mixed up with the order and my computer is turned against me and it won't let me put the photos on my computer

so i Only have one r2
Wired up but it is really good i will try my friends computer

If anyone is intrastate in some cree i might be able to get from my supplier in Hong Kong

sorry about this post being so late
Been very busy

Gen3Benz

Newly Enlightened
I took apart my "old style" ryobi 18v and stuffed the head into the lithium ion ryobi....the switch and ergonomics are much better IMO
Took more trimming of the heatsink but I got it to fit.
Glued the stars onto an aluminum disc, screwed to a cpu heatsink...similar to mds82
I used screws in the back of the heatsink to push the reflector tight against the lens so it doesnt move.
Used a 1915 reflector, made for 4 xr-e's
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1915
Still need to drill some holes for cooling....but damn it looks too good to do that :D
DSCN5484.jpg

emitters.jpg

DSCN5168.jpg

Last edited: