Help a new guy out with a Battery question!

Torpedo Vegas

Newly Enlightened
I have been prowling CPF for a while now but this is my first post and I need some help deciding on this. My current key chain flashlight is a Fenix LD01 SS. I did not realize how heavy it really was until I bought the aluminum version for my brother. I thought about buying one for my self, but after looking around I am considering a Raw AL. I dont want to mess with the hassel of rechargables and almost gave up on the Raw until I found these

14250 primary
http://www.batteryjunction.com/plc-ls14250-ba.html

Are they the same? Would they work? Would they drop the output to 50? I also read something about a CR2 light that I would be more interested in since I can pick those up in a store. Is that still a no go?

Edit: I am posting here, and not the battery forum, because it is related specifically to this light.

MKLight

Enlightened
Hey! The primary 14250 Saft brand battery will keep the low at ~20lm and I believe the hi will be around half, so 100 would = 50, 200 = 100. I had tried the batteries out a while ago. The runtime increases, as well.

As for the CR2 version, that line has been discontinued. You can still find one on BST at times. Rob (Lummi) is always working on something and may be working on a CR2 or CR123 battery. It would be best contacting him directly about that.

Also the Fenix LD01 SS is a very nice light. Rob's are semi to fully custom and are meticulously crafted.

Good luck!
MK

Torpedo Vegas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunantly I have more questions though :(

What is the BST and where can I find it? What are the specs on the older CR2 lights?

I have one more battery question that I forgot to post, but kind of touched on. In another thread someone said that the battery it comes with is a 3.7 and a 3.0 primary will cut the output in half. The battery I posted is listed at 3.6 so will the output suffer as much?

I am really excited about this light and appreciate any help or opinions you guys can come up with

Edit: If I decide I can live with rechargeable how long do these guys hold a charge?

Last edited:

sunsync

Newly Enlightened
My 2¢: I carry the Saft LS 14250 (3.6v) primary for my 200/20 'Raw NS' as a backup when traveling instead of a charger for convenience, but I am not satisfied with the output of the light when running this battery, although it does have significantly longer run time. If you are not into recharging, then I would suggest you look elsewhere; however, you will be passing on a truly magnificent light. Mine with 5 tritium vials is my EDC and nightstand light-my favorite and most practical light and that include 3 wonderful McGizmos that run on primaries. BTW-I had to peel the plastic cover off the Saft in order to make it fit, which is not a problem and does not compromise the battery in any way. I'd rather use primaries but I feel obliged to recycle, hence I have no adversion to using rechargeable batteries whenver possible. Good look in your decision making, you'll enjoy upgrading from the Fenix.

MKLight

Enlightened
Hey! I think your last question is about the CR2 version. I would post the link, but I'm on my iPod...sorry, but you can find more info through the Lummi Sub Forum and in the Sticky: "Lummi Product Overview" third from the top in the Lummi Sub-Forum...where you posted this thread. The original author is MikeSalt and the last post was from Orb...I think it was in 2008.

The CR2 lights are a little larger and accept both rechargeables and primaries. As mentioned above, you will take a hit in brightness, but will increase runtime. I'm learning more about batteries and am definitely not an expert, but volts and mAh determine the power in the battery. LiIon Rechargeables have more of both than primaries. Any experts, please chime in and correct me if I'm incorrect.

Thanks! And good luck! Let us know your decision, too! :popcorn:
MK

Last edited:

MKLight

Enlightened
I noticed you have one other question in regards to runtime.

From the Lummi website (www.lummi.co.uk), where lm = lumens

20lm runs approximately 10 hours/600 minutes
100lm runs approximately 1.5 hours/90 minutes
200lm runs approximately ~0.5 hours/25 minutes

You can choose 2 of the 3 settings. For instance, you can get a 20/100, 20/200, or a 100/200. Also, it differs in switching levels than your Fenix. With the Lummi, rotate clockwise for low, then keep turning clockwise about a half turn for high. To turn off, rotate counterclockwise.

Torpedo Vegas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for all the help guys! I think I will give the rechargeable thing a shot and get some primary batteries for backup. I think I am going to go with the Raw AL for now and if I like it enough I may upgrade to something nicer in the future when I have a more favorable exchange rate :). Now I just need to let the wife know I have found my fathers day present!

sunsync

Newly Enlightened
Good move, although I would suggest the NS, which costs a bit more but incorporates the Nano charger in the price. The threads on the NS are so smoooth, but then I have no experience with the AL. Again, just my 2¢, with either light you'll be very pleased. Make sure you are ordering something that Rob can fulfill right away (i.e., has all the parts), he's very good at responding to emails.

Torpedo Vegas

Newly Enlightened
Good move, although I would suggest the NS, which costs a bit more but incorporates the Nano charger in the price. The threads on the NS are so smoooth, but then I have no experience with the AL. Again, just my 2¢, with either light you'll be very pleased. Make sure you are ordering something that Rob can fulfill right away (i.e., has all the parts), he's very good at responding to emails.

I was really hoping to cut down on some of the weight from my LD01 without without breaking the bank on the TI version right away. If I am satisfied with the light, and more importantly the battery situation then I will be upgrading to Ti. My biggest concern with the Al how it will hold up to edc on my key chain.

Would more people recommend the Ns version? Does anyone own the Al and NS version? If so what do you recommend?

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I own both the NS and AL versions. The AL is significantly lighter so if you are going purely on weight then you'll prefer that one. Threads are silky smooth on both.

Torpedo Vegas

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I own both the NS and AL versions. The AL is significantly lighter so if you are going purely on weight then you'll prefer that one. Threads are silky smooth on both.

If you had to pick one thought what would you go with?

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd probably go with the Raw NS. The finish is beautiful and after handling it develops a kind of 'patina'. The extra weight is actually a good thing, makes it feel like there really is something there.