What is it about the E2 form factor?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what is it about that E2E form factor? I keep getting drawn to that form for some reason. It just seems, well, perfect. I'm not saying that the E2E is a perfect light as stock with the incan bulb, but the form... the shape... the way it fits in the hand... it just draws me for some reason.
Anybody else think this or do I need professional help?

computernut

Enlightened
I have an E2L and love the size. It's just slightly longer than I prefer on my belt but it's not bad. On the plus size it fits my hand perfectly. The E2E is a little shorter at 4.8" (vs 5.4").

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody else think this... ?
Yes.

An E2e was my first high-end flashlight purchase. Seven or eight years and many, many flashlights later, that E2e body is still my favorite. I've upgraded the head, tail cap, and clip multiple times, switched from primaries to a 17670 and back, switched from pocked carry to bag carry and back, etc. But, I will probably never replace or stop carrying that particular body in one form or another. No light has ever fit my hand better than an E2* body + McTC.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, as long as it's got the long clip on it.
In the past I've had all kinds of E-series combos with different SF and Aleph bodies, heads, and tailcaps.
Don't remember what got me away from them, but after my E2L gets back from a mod, I believe it will be right there with the C2-HA as my favorite light(plus with the C2-HA, E2e, and M3T as the best looking SF's, IMO).

Maybe Gene Malkoff will come out with an E-series head for his drop-ins in the near future. I'm hoping that project becomes a reality, since it's actually why I bought another E2e, recently. Would love to have a M60WLF in something no bigger than an E2L...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, as long as it's got the long clip on it.
In the past I've had all kinds of E-series combos with different SF and Aleph bodies, heads, and tailcaps.
Don't remember what got me away from them, but after my E2L gets back from a mod, I believe it will be right there with the C2-HA as my favorite light(plus with the C2-HA, E2e, and M3T as the best looking SF's, IMO).

Maybe Gene Malkoff will come out with an E-series head for his drop-ins in the near future. I'm hoping that project becomes a reality, since it's actually why I bought another E2e, recently. Would love to have a M60WLF in something no bigger than an E2L...

I would love a drop in for the E2E. Milkyspit does some amazing work with these lights, but a drop in sure would be neat.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased an E1E and am now really wanting an E2E. I've handled one and it really is, I think, the best feeling flashlight in the hand (though I'm still a big 3C Mag fan - you can't beat the Mag THWOCK!!!! factor - though I don't think we're suppsoed to extoll that virtue here on CPF).

Seriously though, the E2E, E2L, E2D etc, just seem to be the perfect size. And there's an incan or LED model to satisfy just about anyone.

swampgator

Enlightened
I think it's size is it's greatest attribute. It fits great clipped in a pants pocket. It also sits well in the pocket of scrub pants.

With the LF bulbs you can up or downgrade to further fit your needs. I'm running an LF EO 7.2 bulb on two RCR123s. It's a great little pocket rocket.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I'm with you guys. I have been focusing on assembling a set of E series bodies and heads (modded of course) that allow me to assemble a light for home, work or whatever with options from flood monsters to throw or in between, single or multi-mode heads, clicky, twisty or L1 style (McE2s) tailcaps, and bodies that use 16340, 17670, 18650 or 2 primaries. All of my LED heads have either neutral white or high CRI emitters and I also have incan options including the IMR bulbs. Surefire legos rock! :rock:

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I concur with most of the comments. I think by taking a KISS approach to the E series is what makes them such great lights, there is no competition to the E2E & E2D. My pair are stock, its perfect from the factory IMHO. Another huge plus is the lego ability of the E series, you can customize it to your needs. SF hit a home run with the E2, and they know it.

Illum

Flashaholic
I love the E2e form factor

• Barely taller than my wallet. perfect bulge-less EDC.
  • More aesthetically pleasing in design compared to other forms of lights similar in dimension.
  • Great flexibility in modifications for your personal needs/requirements
    • Battery type: 2xCR123A, 2x16340, 2xIMR123A, 1x17670
    • Incandescent lamp: MN02, MN03, LF-HO-E1R, LF-EO-E1R, LF-HO-E2R, LF-EO-E2R, LF-HO-E2A, LF-IMR-E2, FM Strion kit
    • LED lamp: Koala EM-T drop-in, KX2 head, KL4 head, KL4A head, E2DL head, EX2C head, etc.
    • Tailcap compatibility: Z52, Z53, Z54, Z57, Z61, Z68, E2D
  • Colors available: HA, BK
  • Clip choice: Long (For clipping on hat, shoulder strap), Short (Denim jeans, khakis, General)
  • Filter compatibility (surefire): F05 (red), F06 (blue), F03 (IR), F04 (Diffuser)
  • Lego: with the E to C generic Collar...you can have your E2e accept P60 and malkoff drop-ins...now with a C to M adapter you can... :crackup: I won't go there

Last edited:

Mdinana

Enlightened
I finally discovered it, and LOVE it. Better than the E1L I was carrying - that felt too short and top-heavy. In fact, my E2L feels just a touch long, but I do have the F04 diffuser on it 95% of the time. sometimes for kicks I'll carry my E2/KL4 head, which has a great flood, but eats batteries much too quickly. I find the E2L/diffuser on high has a similar spill, though I do like the somewhat shorter length when I use the KL4...

E2L has even replaced my AA lights, which I tend to like for availability. But with such a long life on low, I don't worry much about running out of juice.

1wrx7

Enlightened
I'm with you guys. I have been focusing on assembling a set of E series bodies and heads (modded of course) that allow me to assemble a light for home, work or whatever with options from flood monsters to throw or in between, single or multi-mode heads, clicky, twisty or L1 style (McE2s) tailcaps, and bodies that use 16340, 17670, 18650 or 2 primaries. All of my LED heads have either neutral white or high CRI emitters and I also have incan options including the IMR bulbs. Surefire legos rock! :rock:

I couldn't have said it better myself... +1 +2 +3... I love the versitility. E-series + Aleph = :party:

sappyg

Enlightened
Never had an E series incan.

:eek:........ :eeksign:........ :ohgeez:........ the E2E is my favorite incan. hit the switch and you get great throw and awesome flood.
i can't speak about LED E2 but if gene offered an LED drop in with a warm tint the E could be the best flashlight known to man.
this light is so simple yet brings more to the table than anyone gives it credit for.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I saw an HA head up for sale today on the marketplace and I was going to give it a shot but somebody beat me to it.
If Gene can make an E series head that's as small at the Surefire incan head the I will have to get one.

bestcounsel

Enlightened
Im starting to find that the thin design of E series lights are best suited for my line of work. I always carried an E2L and loved it.....untill the other day i carried my G2L and G3 on a detail and they were just too large and too much flood....I finally got a E2DL head, a new body and tail cap in route to go next to my e2l....I think im going to try the e series of incans too....i still want to keep an incan....