Nature's Flashaholics

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/may/30/smokies-light-show-scheduled-june-6-14/

We went last night to see some synchronous fireflies, and were quite impressed. Definately something for restrained human flashaholics. There was nothing worse than having some kid shining a light into your eyes, red cellophane or not, to ruin your night vision.

There were plenty of flashlights since the area was completely wooded and unlit. Mostly cheap 2d types. The rangers were handing out red cellophane and rubberbands, and also keeping most people in line by directing them to keep their lights pointed towards the ground.

I brought a few lights. The best lights were an energizer hardcase with single led and red cellophane, fenix L1Trb80 on low with red cellophane, and a Deerelight C2H also on low with red cellophane. My kids both had red leds that were actually a bit too bright. The 2 red leds on the Energizer 1W headlamp were too much, as well as the single red led on the Coast 4 color tactical light.

For anyone planning on going, here's a few tips:

Park before 7:30pm -- once the lots full, you're not getting in.
The trolley ride is about 15 mins. We only waited 10 mins to get on.
The ride back took a 35 min wait in line starting at 1000pm.
There were port-a-potties at the trailhead s well as bathrooms at the visitors center.
Keep those lights OFF as much as possible so you can see the show.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your report sounds like a cool show but is it really better than any other wooded area near water?

It must be, because I have lived around the woods in my area my whole life and have never seen a real live firefly in person.

Does anyone have any video? I'd love to see it.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
It must be, because I have lived around the woods in my area my whole life and have never seen a real live firefly in person.

Does anyone have any video? I'd love to see it.

Thats to bad I thought everyone has seen them. I did notice last night alot of them like they just came out of hibernation or something.

Growing up that was one of the coolest things to do was to chase them around and try to catch them. Couldn't imagine a summer without lightning bugs.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's something I've always wanted to see, but have never been in the right neck of the woods. Maybe I'll have to plan a trip one of these days... :whistle:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's really neat. Something strange is around my area of Wisconsin, they flash on for about a second and there will be a 15ish second delay, but when I went up north to my family cottage, they strobe rapidly for 3 seconds, I only had one beer, but I thought I was really messed up or something lol.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in Utah, and there are no fireflies indigenous to the area...I'm not sure there are any that live in the western states, but I stand to be corrected.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not know that I learn something knew here everyday.

There pretty amazing and sometimes I think I take them for granted seeing them every year.

It such a small insect but lights up so brightly.

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened