Flashlights, parts, heat, and storage question...

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question for the collective. I recently stored the bulk of my spare parts (bezels, tailcaps, lamps, LED modules, etc.) and a good portion of my seldom used lights in my garage attic. The summers in Sacramento get pretty warm, 110 degrees F and I estimate the attic space gets up to maybe 120+.

All of the lights are Arcs and Surefires.

I don't think this will harm anything.

I don't store any batteries or foam rings with adhesive and the like up there.

Any thoughts?

DM51

Flashaholic
I have a question for the collective.
Your parts will be assimilated, lol.

Joking aside, your lights should be fine up there, although you will probably find threads and O-rings will dry out and need re-lubing, and if your attic is anything like mine, you'll probably find everything covered with dust.

Batteries would be the chief concern in such heat, as they would degrade more quickly at those temperatures, but you say you don't store them up there, so you should be OK.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback DM51. I hadn't thought about the o-rings and lube drying out. I have the lights stored in a computer bag wrapped in a garbage bag for dust protection.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
A number of CPF'ers have advised silicone grease, not only as a lubricant but also for o-ring preservation. I have some Harvey's (faucet grease) which is advertised to have a heat resistance to 450F. It seems unaffected by 3.7v heat or by the brutal Sonoran desert summers. I do wonder to what extent long-term storage at high temps would tend to dry it up.