ipod Nano

kimchee07

Newly Enlightened
I got a question for y'all. I recently received the latest gen iPod Nano as a gift from my wife. I know how to load music (wav) files into the Nano, but am still trying to figure out how to arrange them into individual folders...the Nano instead is placing them into a folder named 'Unknown album'...and the music files are arranged alphabetically.

What am I doing wrong?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The iPod is specifically setup to read the file data it gets from iTunes - even if you didn't get your tracks from iTunes, you still need the data from it so the iPod knows how to organize them.

Let's say I have Brandi Carlile's track "The Story" as an MP3, but the iPod doesn't know anything beyond the file name. First, I open iTunes and select Library - Music, so there's all my tracks displayed, including The Story. I select that, and then right-click on it and click Get Info; this displays all the iPod info attached to the song (if you didn't get the track from iTunes then most of this will be blank). Then select the Info tab - this is where all the inputtable info fields are.

*The only really important fields that you have to have filled in in the Info tab are the Name, Artist, and Album fields.* To do this correctly, find the track or album you're inputting info for in the iTunes store - I search for Brandi Carlile, her results come up so I know I have the spelling correct, then I find The Story - it turns out that the album it's on is also called The Story. So there's my three fields filled in, I click Okay and that's it, my iPod now correctly has this track listed within it's own album. You can also go back and fill in the other relevant organizational data as you need (if you like organizing by genre, go ahead and fill that in.)

If you do this correctly, you can then right-click on the track with your completed info and select Get Album Artwork; iTunes will automatically download the cover artwork and apply it to your album for playback and Cover Flow viewing. (If it doesn't work, this usually means something is mispelled/doesn't match the iTunes Store info, or your iTunes needs to be updated.)

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need an iTunes account to get the cover art from them. You can also tag them yourself and add your own cover art in iTunes if the info is coming up wrong.

gorn

Enlightened
You need an iTunes account to get the cover art from them. You can also tag them yourself and add your own cover art in iTunes if the info is coming up wrong.

You don't need iTunes to get cover art and the other info. I use Media Monkey free version to do that. It is easier to learn and fast.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't need iTunes to get cover art and the other info. I use Media Monkey free version to do that. It is easier to learn and fast.
True, but you NEED an account to get cover art from THEM. However, you can upload your OWN art and tag your music with iTunes if you wish. But as you said, you don't need iTunes at all to get the job done.

Last edited:

xxshadow93xx

Newly Enlightened
you'll need to add in the album names in order for the itunes to sort them properly

or you can create playlists and sort all the music you want

Latest posts