iPhone 3.0 coming out 6/17 Wednesday

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened
I realize that an iPhone 3G is a bit of bling bling that may seem unnecessary for most people, but being a flashaholic and a general "gadget-guy," I am hesitant to say that I own AND acutally use the flashlight apps that are available for it.

I use my iPhone on an hourly/dailly basis for keeping track of, what elese, CPF and CPF MP :devil: via e-mails and surfing the CPF sites on Safari when I am away from home-base.

Being a "gadget-guy," I have jail-broken my iPhone :sssh: . Has any one done the same to their iPhone? If you DON'T know what a jail-broken iPhone is, then do a g00gle search, there's way way too much info on the subject for me to get into it right now.

What I am worried about is, what's going to happen to my iPhone (jailbroken) when I upgrade from 2.2.1 to 3.0 on Wednesday?!?!? :shrug: Should I restore it to a point (via iTunes) BEFORE I jail-broke it and then upgrade to 3.0 and jail-break it again? Or leave it in its jailbroken state and see what happens? I only have my iPhone as a main contact phone # for everyone I know and cannot afford to have it down if Apple decides I am a pirate of the worst kind and disables it.

As a side note, I cannot confirm nor deny that I can go back to a non-jailbroken state once I've done it.

I hope somone can give me tips on this. Thanks!! :twothumbs

Norm

Retired Administrator
and cannot afford to have it down if Apple decides I am a pirate of the worst kind and disables it.

As a side note, I cannot confirm nor deny that I can go back to a non-jailbroken state once I've done it.
I'm going to be no help at all to you but this is one of the reasons I'll never buy an Apple product (I have access to staff pricing, Son works for Apple) I love the way Apple products look and perform but I can't see why Apple thinks it has the right to interfere with my property, if you modified your car and every time you took it for service the manufacturer put it all back to standard how would you feel?

Maybe I'm missing something, if so please tell me.
Rant over
Norm

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't remember 3.0 adding anything special that jailbroken users do not have?

The reason I do not bother to jailbreak my phone is because I wish to avoid the exact dilemma that you are facing right now.

If you have an Apple computer then when you sync it you should have the option to save the contacts, etc, to your computer to back it up, but if you have Windows, I don't know and sorry I can't help you.

One of the major gadget blogs (Engadget, Gizmodo, etc) should have a feature article the day of, or soon after, detailing how you should go about upgrading to 3.0. I would recommend waiting to see what problems other people face before finding out for yourself.

However, I will be buying myself the iPhone 3GS and I am very excited for that one!

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened
I'm ngoing to be no help at all to you but this is one of the reasons I'll never buy an Apple product (I have access to staff pricing, Son works for Apple) I love the way Apple products look and perform but I can't see why Apple thinks it has the right to interfere with my property, if you modified your car and every time you took it for service the manufacturer put it all back to standard how would you feel?

Maybe I'm missing something, if so please tell me.
Rant over
Norm

Norm,
What I've done to my iPhone really isn't (in my book) pirating or hacking, it's just software. All the jailbroken apps I've installed has enhanced it's (the iPhone's) capability. There are many features that I enhanced by jail-breaking, but now apple will be including those(some, not all) jailbroken features with 3.0 that SHOULD have been available for use on prevoius releases of it's software to begin with. That being said, all the apps that I use now WITHOUT Apple's blessing, may and will be rendered useless and I'll labeled a hacker/pirate with a threat of persecution for what I've done. I paid full price at an apple store for my iPhone 3G PLUS the AppleCare warr. and don't want to loose my credibilty and contract with AT&T and have my Applecare revoked.

Thanks for your input.
Greg

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always go back from a jailbroken phone to original firmware. link. There is tons of info online about going back with no traces of jailbreaking. If you are concerned, I would wait and see what problems others that have jailbroken their phones do.

gorn

Enlightened
I understand that the latest version of iTunes breaks jail breaking. I have an original iPhone and a 3g. When I first bought my 3g I jail broke it. There are lots of nice apps available for jail broken phones that you can't get with a standard one. Unfortunately the jail break nuked the phone after a week or so. I was able to exchange my 3g and have not messed with it since.

I read somewhere that the TOS for the new 3gs iPhone specifically states that any jail breaking is a violation. I don't like Apple for things like that but I sure like the iPhone and iPods.

I don't think I'll be getting a 3gs phone anytime soon. There isn't enough changes to make it worthwhile to me.