SureFire A2 Aviator LED

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
When people talk about the A2, it's mostly about the constant runtime of the incandescent. No one really talks about the LED. So my question is directed to those who EDC the A2.

Which color LED do you have and why did you choose that color?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Red is the colour I've currently settled on. It's low output is enough to sneak about the house at night. I rarely need to use the LEDs other then for sneaking about at night at home.

Sometimes I use the LEDs constant-on to locate the A2 when I put it down for a short time whilst using the main beam for looking at things. I don't think I've had the LEDs constant-on like this for more then 30 minutes. As the A2 is my EDC and I don't wear a baseball cap, this location light helps when I have to put the A2 down so I can use both hands. The general light level is usually such that I don't need the main beam for general illumination - just for specific look-sees.

I've also been using red LED constant-on when I'm walking home along unlit lanes at night. The red light can be seen by cars and doesn't ruin my 'night-eyes'. It's only really needed along a short 5 minute walk where the road narrows for a bridge and the trees line the road.

Al

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
... On the concensus train... White's what I got, and it's the best for overall use...

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a blue one and the color and the beam pattern was distracting while trying to read with the leds.

I now have a white led A2 and I am very pleased with it.
The performance of the leds and the incan. is better than I expected.

I would buy the red led ring and I hope that SureFire will also make a UV led ring available.

paulr

Flashaholic
Um, why would you want a UV ring in an A2? Just wondering.

yclo

Flashaholic*
Why? Whadaya mean why?

Do you see people around here doing things for a reason? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was thinking of putting these leds in my A2 when I get it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

-YC

Size15's

Flashaholic
YC,
Now I'd be interested in that!
If you ever manage it, please let me know.

Thanks

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Those leds have 4 leads (1 for each color + ground) so you might have to hack up the A2's LED ring to attach the LED's. Probably doable, but maybe not so easy to undo. Is the LED ring available as a spare part?

Blikbok

Enlightened
I second what Dragon said. I hope the L2 is a 5w dimmable.

Back on topic:
White, because that's what you were selling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But also white because when there are three LED's, it's way above my threshold for dark-adaption. Heck, a nearly-end-of-charge CMG Infinity is too bright then. So I want white.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I get an A2, I'm going with blue. I'm not planning to read with it, and if I need color rendition I can always use the halo from the incandescent. Blue works fine for what I usually use LEDs for -- quick low-intensity checks of this-or-that, so I don't think I"ll be missing white on that account.

The idea that's drawing me to blue is how easily blue is seen. I flash my blue LEDs, it will catch the attention of anyone I want. Walking across the street at night (and bear in mind how many people get hit in crosswalks around here) -- blue light will make me seen immediately. Moreover, the flash mental picture when you see blue light is "LEO or emergency", blue gets noticed.

Of course, all of that is so much theoretical clap-trap. The reasoning is thin, but probably substantial enough to motivate me to buy an A2 at some point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyway, in short: blue is the best for being seen, and works just fine for short low-intensity uses (I wouldn't want to read with it, but 3 LEDs is way too bright for a reading light anyway, IMO).

Joe

Ironic

Newly Enlightened
I went with white. But I have to admit I'd like to try red cause it looks cool.