Really low amount of money for a duty light

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
I've been given the task of finding my Lt. a duty light for around $15 (course i'd be willing to buy him a better light for a bit more) that would fit on his duty belt. He says "it doesn't have to be like my great 3-c mag, but it needs to be ok"..

So, suggestions? He likes the Stinger on my belt,but he didn't like the price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
How about a 4AA model like a Princeton Tec, Streamlight or Pelican. I'm not sure how much they cost though.

You ask for duty light which to me suggests a rechargeable. You have to pay upfront in order to save on batteries over time during use.

Al

Floating Spots

Enlightened
$15???
Needs to be bright.
Need to be reliable.

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience in this area.
The only thing that comes to mind is a Surefire G2, but as you know its double. Good old Botach had some sort of excellent deal on G2's, didn't they?
The mag cost about $15, but he already has one.
Streamlights???
???

Since I can't be more than moral support, I'll sit on the sidelines and watch and learn.

freewheelin'

Enlightened
Botach had the Scorpion for $19.00. Probably as close as you'll find. Not what I'd recommend but $15.00 really makes it tough.
If someone asked me to find a duty light for $15.00 I'd either laugh at them or hope they never had thier life depend on that light.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
A while ago I purchased a number of closeout Nordic 2C aluminum flashlights. I've ground out the anodizing inside the tailcap so that the aluminum light which is more compact than a Mag 2C with a narrower head will hold 3 @ Sub C cells.

I've bought individual 3000 mAh sub C cells and had positive nipples soldered on to them. These can be charged in a good NiMH charger that charges individual AAA, AA, C, and D cells. I've also split apart rechargeable 7.2 V 3000 mAh NiMH rechargeable R/C packs into two 3-cell tubes that can be charged with a R/C charger. The light will also run on SF B90 batteries and might run on Stinger batteries (which I've never seen). (It needs an anode button in the front and a cathode plate in the back)

This light uses PR bulbs. I've special ordered some Carley #805 3.7 V 1.6 Amp Xenon Bulbs potted into ceramic PR bases that are rated at 148 Lumen. (Less light comes out the business end as the output is less than that of a P61 or P90 L/A)

Almost a month and a half ago I offered five of these lights (some with different bulbs) for $29 @ shipped.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number=224947&Forum=UBB8&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=224947&Search=true#Post224947

Some of these lights are still available.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Wow, $15 doesn't leave you many options. Does he want something along the lines of a 2 or 3 "C" cell Maglite or something smaller like a Surefire G2 or a Streamlight Scorpion? If he's interested in a compact light, the Tec 40 by Princeton Tec is definately worth a look on a tight budget. It's got a plastic body and it's not a "tactical" flashlight by any means, but it's durable and very practical. It's also waterproof (2000ft), runs on 4 AA batteries, and is one heck of a bright flashlight for around $15 bucks. Then again you could always get him a Mag.

paulr

Flashaholic
Get a C or D powered flashlight, duty lights get used a lot and you don't want to go broke buying batteries. AA's are ridiculous.

I got my 3D Mag at a sidewalk sale for $4. Maybe your Lt can check a flea market or something.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try to convince your Lt to spend more money to get a better light. Something rechargeable would be best, because if they don't want to spend much $$ on a light, they probably won't want to spend much on batteries.

hideo

Enlightened
just my personal opinion, but if my butt was potentially hanging on it, I think I'd drop a tiny bit more $$ on a light . . . (or several)

that said, for the spendthrift there's always the Dorcy faceted with 4AAs and an overdriven 3.6V xenon bulb--mine seem OK and are basically a bulky poor man's G2 for $3 and a $2 bulb

no momentary and zero anodizing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hideo

paulr

Flashaholic
Yeah it's kind of dumb if LEO's to have to buy their own lights out of personal funds. The departments should certainly buy lights out of the same budget that buys uniforms, guns, 2-way radios, police cars, and all the other cop stuff. Flashlights are essential equipment to a LEO.

Azreal911

Enlightened
i think the best would be the dorcy 4aa mentioned by hideo or the garrity stainless steel 4aa. run them on rechargeables to lower the voltage which then you run with a mag 3cell krypton bulb. the bulb gets over driven and is pretty blinding i find in the dorcy (has a really tight hotspot but the side spill is also pretty bright to see around) it's enough to blind someone in the dark with it. reason i pick those two lights is because of the push button switch for single handed usage, which i think is pretty important with a gun in the other hand. That's probably the brightest setup you can have. Ooops but the rechargeable batteries (need 8aa's, 4 spares in the squad car) and charger would run up the price already! (good for the long run!). out of the 2 i mentioned the dorcy would be better, it is shorter making it easier to hold in a sticky situation and it has a ring which you can latch it onto his belt. Only prob with extended usage is that you will warp the reflector but i didn't find it changes the beam at all so it'll be ok for a long time.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestion would be to get(if you can find one) a Sam's Choice(Wal-Mart) brand 3d rubber flashlight and load it with 4 C's and a KRP103. Even with still having the 3 D's in mine(trying to use them up), i love this light. The beam is as pretty as any surefire beams i've seen posted here except that it has some slight inconsistency of brightness in the center hotspot. If you can't find the Sam's Choice you could possibly look at the 3d Kohler-Brightstar at Brightguy.com for like $7. It looks to be basically the same design, faceted reflector and all.

beakman

Newly Enlightened
Don't really know how much abuse a duty light will go through, but if you want bright and thrifty, what about the UK 4AA AS2 with push button switch for about $15, or the Brinkman Legend LX for about $20? I don't own either of these, but have seen decent reviews of them. Anybody have experience with these?

the beakman
budding flashaholic

Darkcobra

Enlightened
How about:
Mag 2C = $15.00
Radio Shack KPR112 = $1.30
3 X CR123 = $4.00 (internet)
Total = about $20.00
Durable and super bright...
If you need some info on conversion, post here or PM.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Closest things I can think of are SF G2 or Brinkmann LX. Got my G2 for right at 30 bucks and my LX for 20. Still more than he said, but I think a COP needs a pretty bright light with either a thumb switch or tail switch.

You could do a minim*g up with a Madmax or Badboy drop in, but minimum price there is around 50 for everything... tough reliable light however.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
For that amount of money, you don't have wide choice. A Princeton TEC 40 or PT Rage are reasonable for what you get for $ 15. Or may be a CMG Infinity Ultra, if you want go for a single LED task light.

Anthony

JJHitt

Enlightened
Sigh... I remember the days when I thought 15.00 was a lot of money for a flashlight....

Long, long gone...

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Joe, on that budget and considering he likes your stinger, I think you have to go to WalMart and drop $19.98 on a Brinkmann Legend LX. It is small enough to belt carry easily. I don't know what you would use for a holster, but he may be able to scrounge up something in the department.

Otherwise he should just carry his 3C Mag. I don't know what you can get that would actually be under $15 that would really be any better. He must want something smaller than the 3C, thus the LX.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I just won an Ebay auction for a Pelican M7 rechargable light. Specs say 10,000 CP. Length about 6.25" Tail clickie. Should have it in about a week to review it. It too is somewhat over $15... will be $26 delivered to me. (Like I REALLY need another flashlight!) But at least there will be no further need for batteries!

Check Ebay, there are SOME deals to be found among the crap!