Just got a Tigerlight FBOP - First impressions.

stangster

Newly Enlightened
Is it just me, or do these really look used?

What's up with all scratches on the lens? What's up with the white stuff all over the body and bezel? What's up with the beat up box it came in? What's up with the fact that not once did I ever read a post about the Tigerlight's "brand new" condition? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

I got to check the light output cause it was already charged. -=NICE=- And this was a couple hours ago when it was broad daylight. It's now in it's charger and I think I'll give it a good 6 or 8 hours before I check it out again.

Did I get a used one by mistake? I got this shipped directly from Tigerlight.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, my Tigerlight FBOP direct from them came in a really beat up box too. The light itself was fine though, and worked great, so I wasn't concerned - I was just pleased that they were able to ship me one..

Graham

bwcaw

Enlightened
No, mine came the same way. I don't think it was used, it just probably got manhandled at the factory.

Get the UCL lens from www.flashlightlens.com to replace the crappy plastic one that comes stock. It is well worth it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Micah

stangster

Newly Enlightened
Micah,

I think I'll definitely have to do that. The UCL on my SN II is almost invisible!

Manhandled? lol You got that right. It's even got a fingerprint on the inside of the lens!

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stangsterm

Mine came like that too. My box wasn't beat up too bad...but it sure isn't like the Surefire boxes...but i don't really care for packaging anyway. My light did have some white stuff on it too, but it was easily brushed off; maybe it was residue from the lubricants that was used, or from the rubber gaskets. Sometimes new rubber has that powdery coating on them.

The lens on mine was scratched too, but it's expected from a lexan lens. On a lens that large you either have to risk scratches or melting on a lexan lenses, or a shattered lens with Pyrex, UCL, or some other glass type lens.

The light sure is bright though for its size and cost. It's one of the few lights i have that i can use without guilt, fear, or much dissatisfaction. I can use it as long as i want because it is rechargeable, i can drop it as much as i want because it is shock and scratch resistant, and the light is powerfull.

The only thing i don't like is it's overall size. It's a little beefy around the waist and can be uncofortable after a few minutes of hard activity, like running. Other than that, it's a great investment!

I want to try those textured lamps from flashlightlens.com, i've grown to love the beam from textured reflector; even the Ultrastinger with the textured reflector was a nice duty light - i wish i didn't sell it. Anyway, i would also invest in a UCL lens to free up that 10% of light lost with stock lens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

stangster

Newly Enlightened
LEDagent,

Don't get me wrong, I am not in any way discrediting the overall quality of the light. Especially the output (I have never heard anyone say that the TL is weak). This is just a first impression. And my first impression is: they could brush up on their "presentation".

I had a similar reaction when I got my ARC LS. It didn't come in a factory-type package. It came in a bag. Even their cheaper AAA is presented better! I love my LSH though. I eventually found out that everyone got them that way so it was ok. (But I like the fact that Peter's going to eventually get the factory-type presentation)

It's just disappointing cause I didn't expect it. I never stumbled across a TL thread that stated such conditions.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be more than satisfied with the light...

Ironic

Newly Enlightened
All three Tigerlight's i received were in the same condition. They have the worse QC/Packaging i've seen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif For the money the light and box shouldn't leave the factory that way.

freewheelin'

Enlightened
Stangster, When you get it fully charged I would like to know how it compares to your SN II for throw, flood and brightness please. Oh yeah whiteness too. I just got the SN II and am curious.
Thanx.

bwcaw

Enlightened
Stangster, I have the textured lamp for my FBOP, and I wasn't very impressed with it. It doesn't throw as far as the standard (new) tigerlight lamp assembly, in fact it is almost a flood light. Personally I don't think you will like it unless you want an extremely wide diffuse beam. The beam from the textured lamp reminds me a lot of a beam from a surefire with the beamshaper attached. It is a little narrower, but it diffuses the light quite a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Micah

Ben H

Enlightened
Mine came the same way. I told TL and they said it was from the white inside of the box, and that the new boxes won't have the same problem. I contacted TL about my scatched lens and on my 2nd light a warped lens and they sent me replacement lens free. I got a textured lamp module for the TL in my house. It is great for illuminating closer objects. The TL in my car has the standard lamp module and a UCL lens.

Ironic

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Josh said:
Kinda looks like kids put them together.

[/ QUOTE ] LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my TL, the finish is crappy, ditto the lens. The O-ring was such a pain, I took it out. The machining is El Cheepo on the threads. They grate and squeel when changing the lens.
The beam is fantastic. I've said this before, I wish Streamlight had made this light. This is what an Ultra Stinger should have been.
I live in a rural area and the TL is my first grab to check on noises outside my home. The Streamlight US doesn't see to much use anymore.
Before I forget, The TL box was perfect.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried lubricating the threads on the TL? I'm curious if the dry, fingernails on the chalkboard threads can be smoothed out any....????

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Re: Just got a Tigerlight FBOP - First impressions

I personally like the textured reflector and UCL lens combo. I agree it doesn't throw as far, but the small hotspot is still good enough to tell a cat from a racoon at 25 yards, plus you have the wide floodlight effect.

The artifacts on my TL smooth reflector were horrible, the beam sort of resembled a striped Butterfly.

Striped? Tiger? Coincidence?

MenaceSQL

Enlightened

I have a TigerLight problem too. The problem is that I don't have one yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chris, I lubed the threads on mine with some damping grease (Nye 777), and it works like a charm...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
freewheelin' said:
Stangster, When you get it fully charged I would like to know how it compares to your SN II for throw, flood and brightness please. Oh yeah whiteness too. I just got the SN II and am curious.
Thanx.

[/ QUOTE ]

freewheelin',

Try this:

SN II TESTED AGAINST TEN INCANDESCENTS

Brightnorm

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunspot, I also grab the TL when things go bump in the backyard. I really have to find the letter for the new lamps.

stangster

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bwcaw said:
Stangster, I have the textured lamp for my FBOP, and I wasn't very impressed with it. It doesn't throw as far as the standard (new) tigerlight lamp assembly, in fact it is almost a flood light. Personally I don't think you will like it unless you want an extremely wide diffuse beam. The beam from the textured lamp reminds me a lot of a beam from a surefire with the beamshaper attached. It is a little narrower, but it diffuses the light quite a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Micah

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the UCL/Reflector special that Chris is running Tuesday. I was only going to get the UCL cause I can't stand the current lens, but since it was only $5 more for the reflector, I jumped on it.

You make it sound like it turns into a flood. Is it that bad?

Anyway, I guess I'll find out soon enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif