too funny to be true?

Nite

Enlightened
http://goldismoney.info/forums/showpost.php?p=1764989&postcount=21

I just saw this on the same site....if its true....its scary and funny! Only a week old post

Unless you buy 3V LI primary batteries in bulk...rechargeable LI's are a cheaper long term investment.

BUT...there are protected and non protected LI rechargeables...I've had both types explode,even the protected cells are not 100% safe as I found out one day a few months ago.

I had just taken 2 (protected) type 3V rechargeables off the charger and popped them in my O-Light.
Stuck it in my front pants pocket and forgot about it.
About an hour later I was talking to a coworker when he noticed my pants were smoking...
I looked down,grabbed the O-Light out of my pocket and threw it into my bosses office where it instantly exploded under his desk like a small hand grenade.
Almost blew his shoes off...not to mention the horrible odor of swamp gas that permeated the room...he definitely needed a change of underwear in a bad way.
He lost his glasses in the confusion...well...er...maybe they were blown off...he couldn't remember much right after the explosion because my coworker was screaming call EMS at the top of his lungs making my boss think he was fatally injured,along with being deaf and blind.
Meanwhile,being uninjured,I was searching for my trusty Nikon digital camera to video the carnage for the insurance company...just as I entered the room,camera in hand,a fire broke out under his desk and my coworker proceeded to hose down the desk and my boss with a huge (20 pounder) ABC fire extinguisher that was hanging on the wall.

Nope...I'm not making this up...it happened pretty much in the order I described it.
Next thing I knew some secretary had called the fire department and EMS. The parking lot now had Bomb Squad LEO's,two fire trucks and an EMS crew with a stretcher heading into the corporate office to give medical aid to the casualties...aka...my boss.

The bomb squad bought the story of a random lightning strike from the two eyewitnesses ( my coworker and myself ) they weren't real happy about it...but,hey...we were the only eye witnesses,so what could they do ?

Anyway...it worked out well for me...I got my bosses office with a terrific view and he demanded a new office in the basement with no windows and rubber carpet.

Fast thinking on my part wouldn't you agree ?
My first gut instinct was to throw any potential hazardous flashlights or exploding devices directly into the nearest expendable supervisors office.

Remember that...next time you are faced with explosive batteries...quick thinking could save your life.

BTW: My boss is now proud to be a lightening strike survivor...he brags about it to anyone who will listen.

RiverRat

"the happily ever after fails and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales" : Don Henley

"If you look closely you'll find that we're mostly machines looking for a soul" : Bad Company

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'. : Larry Hardiman

Panic now...avoid the rush.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
That thread (but not that particular post) was referred to here.

When I read it I wondered if there was any BS factor involved.

If true, it's certainly irresponsible action on his part even if he was trying to avoid personal injury.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the choice of having it explode in my pocket or under anybody elses desk the desk will lose everytime. If it's a bosses desk I MIGHT warn them to duck and run given enough time but desks will contain booms much better than linen pockets will.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
...it instantly exploded under his desk like a small hand grenade.
The bomb squad bought the story of a random lightning strike from the two eyewitnesses ( my coworker and myself ) they weren't real happy about it...but,hey...we were the only eye witnesses,so what could they do ?

I would have started by noting the weather at the time.
A bomb squad and a fire inspector that does not recognize an explosion or lightening should be looking for work someplace else.

I suppose we could all put something hot enough to start the outside of a pocket, usually two layers to start smoking and see if we felt anything against our leg.
I volunteer for test number 525 if 1 through 524 reports no problems.

The Dane

Enlightened
The inside of his jeanspocket is rather thin, and no heat but lots of smoke?
2 small LiPo's blow his boss' shoes off?
Discarded as a lightening flash inside a building?

bs.gif

bullshitting.gif

bsmeter.gif

Patriot

Flashaholic
Wow! It always amazes me to see what people will do for attention. That was one of the silliest battery story claims I've ever read.

I do believe the part where we took two batteries off the charger and put them in his O-light, and that's about it.

SilentK

Enlightened
Maybe i should do that to my bosses office.... :naughty: Time to go convert to li-ions. Stock room would not have been a good idea. XD

400th post, w00t!