Newbie/rookie question... BRIGHT!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and already addicted! I have a basic collection and just ordered a Twin Task 3C that will be my new car light. We live out in the middle of nowhere with bunches of trees. I'm wanting to get something very bright but not horribly large. I would like to get something roughly 3C or 2D-sized. I guess I'm looking in the 120 lumen range as that's what the ElektroLumens Blaster VI is rated at. It's $90. Not too bad but of course, would be open to items a bit lower in price. I really don't need the nice aluminum... rubber would be fine.

Anything else spring to mind? I'm not an elitist yet so even if something is considered undesirable because it comes from a company not in favor, that's fine with me as long as it's bright and sturdy. I haven't ruled out a rechargable, but I guess I'm leaning more towards non.

Any help? Any pointers? I've done quite a bit of looking over the last couple weeks but nothing has really jumped out at me more than the Blaster VI. Well, the G2 Nitrolon with the P61 but I'd really rather get more than 20 minutes use. And I'm not wanting to carry this thing with me 24/7.

paulr

Flashaholic
Try a Princeton Tech "Surge", uses 8 AA's so you can use rechargeables if you want, and it's around $30 from TTS. It's about the same size as a typical 2D light. Brightness will be roughly comparable to a P61 and runtime is in the 2 hour range.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can stand the aluminum, the Pelican M6 can dish out ~100 lumens for you in a small package with a good hour to 80 mins of runtime, and is $40... The Surge is definately another cheap, 100+ lumens option that's painless to feed. And then there's definately Elektrolumens' Blaster VI... You may also look into the UK SL6, with 200 lumens running on 6C cells...

Just some thoughts...

freewheelin'

Enlightened
Just got a SpaceNeedle II from MrBulk yesterday and it ROCKS. Much brighter and whiter than anything I've owned.
I tried it against a Z2 w/ P61, a C2 w/P91, a 6d Mag, a Makita 12v, a Mag charger and an SL35. Nothing could touch it for throw, brigtness OR spill light. I've got to get a digital camera, you have to see it to believe it.
At first I thought $125.00 was kinda high till I turned it on. WOW, it was actually a bargan and the LED shouldn't blow out for a good while.
I've not handled an Electrolumens light yet but there are many good reviews and many happy customers.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SNII and Blaster VI are equally really bright lights, but based on different optics, and thus, can have different applications...

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, bought a PrincetonTec Surge locally. I want it more for outdoor use but inside our laundry/utility room (about 10 feet x 6 feet) it was considerably brighter than my next brightest light (Garrity 2D Xenon)... Actually, it's more than considerably brighter. If you have the Surge on a spot on the wall, and turn the Garrity on pointed right in the middle, you can see a bit of a pattern, but it's no brighter.

Very happy. If the Blaster VI is as bright in a nicer housing, it will make an excellent light.

Is there anywhere that has a large number of flashlights tested with brightness levels compared? We really need something like that.