Boker Trance/Subcom ??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I tried searching old threads and was unable to find anything recent on these Boker knives. Did not wish to dig up threads that were 2 years old so maybe I can find some new info.

I need a new EDC duty knife in a folder and I like a simple,reliable folder that will not make me cry if I lose it on duty (as I have done many times) The Boker Trance looks about the size I like plus it is a framelock which I also like. My duty folder does not see much heavy use other than the cutting of zip cuffs or maybe a seatbelt here and there.

Internet searches gave me little other than a bunch of modified versions to look at or dealers. I hope to find someone here who actually has some daily usage of the Trance and your overall impression. Will it hold up to mild duty tasks, edge retention, ease of carry...etc:

I am also considering the Subcom and Keycom just to have a few beaters to carry and I simply like the "look" or design of those ugly little things. Any input would be appreciated and if you could also tell me of a good online dealer that would help out also.....searched everywhere locally for the Boker line and found nothing. Thanks....

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got several subcoms of various types (inc. one all-black Rescom in my 1st aid kit). Good, sturdy little knives for the size and price, Aus-8 blades are, IMHO, easy to sharpen while still keeping their edge for a while. May not be the newest super-steel, but very good for the price. Have only played with the Trance, not owned one, but it also felt pretty good. Evidently these aren't "tank" type folders like Striders and so on, but are sturdy enough to hold their own for most day-to-day tasks.

A very good review is here, note that it's for the 1st gen Subcom, current is gen 4. Differences between the generations are:

1st Gen: 420J2 Blade, Short clip, no lockbar jimping, marked "Magnum Stainless, Taiwan, and CLB Design"
2nd Gen: AUS-8 Blade, Long clip, no lockbar jimping, marked "Magnum Stainless, Taiwan, and CLB Design"
3rd Gen: Same as Gen 2, with the addition of Boker Plus Logo on blade.
4th Gen: Same as Gen 3, with lockbar jimping.

His wife occassionally sells stuff on eBay, comes signed by Chad, but she's not selling anything at the moment though. One good dealer would be New Graham Knives, I'm sure others will chime in with more.

Did I mention that Chad's also a great guy?

In other words: go get one!

Last edited:

Robocop

Thank you very much for the information Th232 and I know very little of Chad however I do like his simple,effective designs. I once carried a REKAT folder on duty and it was built like a tank. It was heavy and distracting in my duty pocket however it was a nice knife.

I switched to a nice auto Benchmade that was lost in a foot chase while the equally expensive replacement was later broken on duty. They replaced it free however the lost one I had to simply take a $110.00 loss on that one.

I have found a 40 dollar folder will do the basics of what I need and again if destroyed or lost on duty it is not such a big deal. I keep a better quality folder and fixed blade in my gear bag however like a small,light folder for pocket carry on duty. My current carry on duty is a Kershaw Vapor that replaced my favorite Outdoor Edge Paragee by Darrel Ralph (35 dollars) The Paragee is not made anymore and after having it refurbished I decided to keep it as a collector. I have used several of the CRKT M16 style and found them decent enough for daily usage.

I basically like the "look" of the Boker Trance much more and I am familiar with the blade steel as well. Thanks again ...

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Boker Trance as seen here and if your are interested I could send it to you for the price of shipping. I am simply not using it. When I first got it I tried loosening and tightening the pivot screw as I did on my Subcom but it would not budge. In fact the screw got stripped a little. It opens smoothely one handed and everything else about the knife is fine. You just can't adjust the pivot screw. I am not using it since I EDC a Sebbie so if you want to send me like $5.00 to cover postage (postage is pricey up here) it's all yours. Least I could do for someone who serves and protects.

Robocop

Oddjob thank you very much for the offer and I wish I would have seen this before work today.....I placed an order with knife works today for a few things and a new trance was one of them.

Crazy enough my G/F is actually in Ottawa on business and I believe she has to go through Ontario. Your profile has you living there and just kind of strange how things work out. I may still take you up on it later just to have a spare for parts. Thanks again for the offer and I will let you know shortly.

Oddjob you have a PM.......

Last edited:

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll like the Trance. I've had one for about a year or so, great little knife for the money. The blade steel doesn't hold an edge the best, but if you don't mind sharpening it on a regular basis, it will probably work well for you. Very easy to put a good edge on, just doesn't last as long as one of the premium steels like S30V. I ended up grinding off the flipper notch on mine since it was too small to be used as a flipper and would occasionally catch pulling it out of my pocket. Not sure if I like it better flipperless, I'll probably buy another and leave it as is.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying a Subcom (and now a Wharcom) for a couple years, and I love 'em. Tough enough for my needs, easily replaceable if I destroy it, surprisingly comfortable in my big hands, and practically disappears on my belt - I often forget I'm wearing it.

Robocop

I will be the first to admit I know nothing of steels however after researching the subject for several days I see many who say AUS-8 is the minimum they will EDC.

I am most in need of something easy to replace, lightweight, and mostly a framelock as I like them better. I have a few CRKT knives that use AUS-8 as well as the mentioned Paragee that is simply my favorite knife as of yet.

I admit I want the Wharcom simply as it is different and I like the blade design of the single straight edge. I like the Trance as it is a framelock and about the same size as what I am used to in my duty pants pocket. I basically did a search of "decent frame lock knives" and found several mention of the Trance however not many first hand impressions.

Thanks again for the input.

Robocop

Sadly no updates as of yet as my original order did not work out as expected. I ordered a plain edge and was advised the serrated version was the only one in stock so I cancelled my order.

I am planning on ordering the Trance from a different site as well as the little Wharcom. I actually just got lazy and forgot about the whole order until I saw this reminder......thanks much for reminding me.

StuGatz

Enlightened
You will not go wrong with either knife. Both almost disappear when wearing them. For the cutting chores you described earlier you will LOVE either one... :D

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
you welcome. but suprising you forgot the need for a blade you think you need at work. hahah.

and i forgot my sog flash2 home today and had to return to my car on first coffeebreak to get the cheap dx fake extremaratio and sog twitch2 from my car..

i was suprised by the amount of all the little things i nowdays do with a knife without realising using it. -took me 5 minutes to realise i dont have it with me.. took 8 minutes to know i really do not have it with me at all, took me 15 minutes until i "needed" it for first time. and then by coffeebreak hour later or so i knew it was gonna be long day without one.. so had to get my backups.

lesson learned. if you take the blade off the work trousers pocket to sharpen it.. put it back when you are done, damit!

gustophersmob

Newly Enlightened
Just curious, it has been mentioned in this thread that the Trance is good for light duty tasks.

Given the wide blade, flat grind and the negative angle, it seems like it would be a great outdoorsy, bushcraft knife. Anyone using it for that? Do you think it would hold up to that? Obviously, it probably won't baton wood very often before failing (few folders would, i suppose), but for other tasks would it fair ok?

Just asking because I have one, and need a decent folder to compliment my fixed blade for future camping/hiking duties, but don't want to find out the hard way it can't handle it.

Thanks in advance!