Lighting up a BBQ?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the 10,000 pieces I had to put together yesterday for our new BBQ is a small flashlight that mounts inside the rotisserie motor facing in, a small 3 led unit that takes the button cells batteries. It really is a useless contraption.
Got me to thinking, what is the best way to light up the entire BBQ surface? I am thinking a long flexible arm coming around from the back.. But I just don't know.
I figured this was the best place to put this topic seeing how it is an actual flashlight that I am trying to replace.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
just get a full height (defined as 1 that extends up to about 5 feet over) tripod, strap a headlamp at the top or near the top of the center column, secure the headlamp with a wide rubber strap or elastic band.

for handhelds that does not get too hot after prolonged use, use a lanyard to secure it. there are also bicycle attachments that can be bought off shelf, with that, all is needed is adjustments to the center column down slightly to illuminate the grill.

please clingwrap your tripod if you do not want to spend too much time de-greasing the tripod after the BBQ. :green:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, you can use a Torch made by Mac, or anything above it on luxluthor's list of powerful incans. That way you can light up the BBQ, AND light up the BBQ...:D

In all seriousness, just use a Bare LED somewhere where heat doest get to it that much.

Crenshaw

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
my take: food looks odd shade of color in normal white wc led. get warm tint version.

then you might be actually able to see the actual color of the brown of the charred meat. i tried using my tk11 while bbq.. but i went to my car and used dereelights c2h with 5a led instead.

ypsifly

Enlightened
I would go incan. Food looks weird under led. During the Blackout of 2003 I was grilling steaks and pork chops for my first order of the day when the lights went out. I used a Streamlight headlamp to finish the order but the food looked almost alien.

At my current job I sometimes cater events in a building that is lit by candle light and nothing else. For those jobs I have an E1e with the stock bulb. Works just fine.

fareast

Enlightened
Yup, don't use any light which has a blue tint. Incan especially and warm tinted led's Q3 5A comes to mind.

lightplay22

Enlightened
Under LED light a raw ribeye steak can look done (no pink or red). E1 with stock bulb is my choice also! and, it was my very first surefire light. Happy grilling!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Critter Ridder!

If you still have your 9P use it with a P91 and it will also keep your food warm!!!

BTW I still have my 9P.

kelmo

C4LED

Enlightened
my take: food looks odd shade of color in normal white wc led. get warm tint version. then you might be actually able to see the actual color of the brown of the charred meat. d.

Agree with the comments about a warm tint LED or incan. If you do otherwise you can cook the food wrong...