Post Your Illuminating Kubotans/Yawara Sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaywalk3r

Banned
I don't like to be unarmed, and I don't like the stigma that can come from carrying weapons. The best compromise I've found is to carry a flashlight with a yawara stick form factor. I have some 6P's and an M2, but my hands are large enough to include consider them as illuminating yawara sticks, although they could work if that's all I had with me. While I still haven't found the perfect light in the yawara stick form factor, I have found some that I like pretty well.

YawaraLights.jpg

From top to bottom:

SureFire E2d: I was surprised by how much I liked this light when I got it. It fits and feels very nice in my hand. I like how the crenellated tail cap effectively recesses the clicky switch, but the extra diameter doesn't lend itself so well to poking into soft fleshy areas. The tail cap does lend itself well to tail standing, which is a very practical benefit in a small light, since it is far more likely to be used for illumination than self defense. I don't like the crenellated bezel. Aside from having a significant (detrimental, IMO) effect on the beam shape, it looks too aggressive for my tastes. That aggressive look is counterproductive when my goal is for the light to not look like a weapon. I do have a standard E2e bezel on the way, which has much more subtle crenellations. Beyond that, I plan to swap out the lamp assembly in order to accommodate rechargeable batteries. I should add that I believe the E2d's strengths far outweigh its weaknesses.

Fenix PD30: This light is my EDC, and the closest I've come to finding perfection in this form factor. Both the bezel and tail cap are crenellated, but done subtly, having no noticeable effect on the beam shape nor drawing attention to the light as a potential weapon. The light also has multiple modes and a very well designed UI. On max, it is the brightest of my lights in this form factor. It accepts 17340 LiFEPO4 (my preferred chemistry) cells without any modification. My biggest complaint with this light is that it tail stands only precariously. I also wish it were just a little bit longer, but that's the price I pay for preferring CR123A sized cells over AA sized cells. (Incidentally, this particular light has a serial number ending in 00099. :) :thumbsup: )

ASP Tungsten 2: I had very high hopes when I bought this light. In some ways, it lives up to my expectations; in others I was very disappointed. The fit and finish of the light are nothing short of outstanding. I'm especially impressed with the slim barrel and the fine knurling. Of these three lights, I think the ASP has the best length for use as a kubotan. The tail switch rotates into three positions, lock out, constant on, and momentary on. The latter two positions still require pressing the button at the tail. In constant on, the switch works like most forward clicky switches, in that a partial press works as momentary on. Output is similar to a P60L (ASP claims 79 lumens on their site. I've found other documentation that claims 125 lumens at the emitter an 90 lumens out the front.) Unfortunately, between the plastic smooth reflector and the lexan lens, the beam quality is easily the worst of the three lights, very ringy and very cool. I was disappointed to find that neither end of the Tungsten seems particularly well suited for striking, nor does the tail cap seem well suited for poking soft fleshy areas, except possibly in lock out mode. The light does work with both 3.2V and 3.6V rechargeable cells. Overall, I think the Tungsten is a pretty good light and adequate yawara stick, but it excels in neither category.

Do you have any yawara stick sized lights? What do you like and dislike about them? Post pictures, if possible.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Best Yawara stick is a Surefire 9P. Inova T3, T4, and T5 are also good choices. (All require a holster for routine carry, though).

Surefire E2D is more of a hammer-fist enhancer. Ironically, it's similar to an improvised weapon from the '60s Counter-culture.

My Fenix P3D is a bit short for a kubaton. But perhaps the PD30 is a better form-factor.

Maglite will never admit this, but the 2AA Mini-Mag was originally designed for double-duty as a kubaton as well. In stock form, it functions well for that.

Last edited:

SupremeEye

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely. If it weren't for the fact that I try to stick with cr123A lights, I'd probably prefer it over my PD30. I think the extra ~1.25 inch in length would make it more effective for some yawara tactics, without any substantial drawbacks.
I honestly always looked at my first flashlight the L2T, then the L2D and now LD20 as kubotan type tools.

I mean pain compliance along with pressure point strikes and just overall damage can be caused.

Jaywalk3r

Banned
Best Yawara stick is a Surefire 9P. Inova T3, T4, and T5 are also good choices. (All require a holster for routine carry, though).

Surefire E2D is more of a hammer-fist enhancer. Ironically, it's similar to an improvised weapon from the '60s Counter-culture.

My Fenix P3D is a bit short for a kubaton. But perhaps the PD30 is a better form-factor.

Maglite will never admit this, but the 2AA Mini-Mag was originally designed for double-duty as a kubaton as well. In stock form, it functions well for that.

Kubatons are one form of Yawara stick. They seem to be a bit longer and skinnier than many other forms, presumably to better facilitate poking/stabbing and two handed tactics.

My attraction to Yawara sticks stems from my background in arnis, so such tactics are secondary to striking tactics that more directly transfer from techniques that I use with the much longer sticks. A reduced diameter, compared to my full size sticks, helps make up for the loss of kinetic energy from the significantly reduced length.

For me, the most critical characteristic of my yawara sticks is that they are longer than my hand is wide by at least half an inch or so. Anything over four inches long and under one inch diameter will work well me. My P series lights, which I use daily but don't EDC, are a bit too fat for my comfortable use in such applications. For someone with larger hands, they would work well. The squared barrel of my SF C3 makes it fit very comfortably in my hand (as well as offering other benefits for two handed tactics), but it's too big for me to EDC, so I didn't include it in my picture.

I just received a P3D today, and it is an excellent size (for my hand size) and shape for use as a yawara stick. A mini-mag has a similarly good form factor, but its light output isn't as high as I prefer in a self defense light.

I've never handled an Inova light, but looking the specs of the T series on their website, they look like they could work extremely well for people with larger hands.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what works well for each individual, taking into account their size, training, and what they are willing to EDC. That last part is especially important, because a self defense light is of little use if one doesn't have it with them when it's needed. While yawara sticks are more easily improvised than most other weapons, it's still better (IMO) to have a familiar one on ones person.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
This thread is unlikely to survive much longer if members continue to skim over the qualities of the lights themselves and instead persist in discussing the violent uses to which they can be put.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
Gerber LX1 has got a nice length & has thick walls. :thumbsup:

incidently such flashlights tailstanding reminds me of carnival game stalls where hoops are thrown. :nana:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the extreme end of the specturm would be the SF porcupines. HUGE SS strike crenelations. Im confident that they could tear flesh.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
I think the new quark AAx2 tactical would be perfect, bezel down clip, and knurling all around...and 170 OTF lumens is plenty...also the square threads make it stronger...

even the 2x123 is a decent length for these applications...

Also what monocrom said, the 9P, with a nice LED drop in ( malkoff comes to my mind ) would be good =]

Jaywalk3r

Banned
This thread is unlikely to survive much longer if members continue to skim over the qualities of the lights themselves and instead persist in discussing the violent uses to which they can be put.

I believe the light output is a very important consideration for such lights. That is the property of the light which offers the best chance of being able to get out of precarious situations without needing to resort to violence. The ability to adversely affect a potential attackers night adapted vision may time or allow a user to take advantage of a spacial opening to get away.

Only if the opportunity to get away isn't available do the physical characteristics of the light come into play, except insomuch as they affect the user's willingness to EDC the light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I believe the light output is a very important consideration for such lights. That is the property of the light which offers the best chance of being able to get out of precarious situations without needing to resort to violence. The ability to adversely affect a potential attackers night adapted vision may time or allow a user to take advantage of a spacial opening to get away.

Problem is.... The topic of light output on an Attacker has been done to death. Such topics now usually get locked. I figured it was okay to post in this one, since it started out by dealing with a very specific aspect of using a flashlight. (One that didn't deal with blinding an attacker with light).

But since that's changed, and thanks to Solscu007's post above :rolleyes: :shakehead, I'm going to post this very helpful link below....

Before DM51 comes back and locks this thread.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2966924&postcount=4

Bushman5

Enlightened
my Fenix TA30 fits the bill quite nicely

DSCF1460-1.jpg

one thing for the doubters (of using a bright light for defense) to consider is that the pupils of junkies are often extremely wide, due to the effects of the narcotics. I have strobed or lit up MANY of the undesirables in my area at long range and close range and they simply cannot handle the light in their eyes. They cover their eyes, turn away, stop moving towards me etc. . This has given me ample time to cuff them or let the dogs loose on them.

I have never had an issue with using bright lights / strobes as a defensive tool. YMMV

as for the Fenix TA30 as a kubaton tool, it is very effective. A wee little jab on the top of the hand or on the ribcage HURTS pretty bad , and during training when i got "jabbed" i got sick. My partner hit one of my ribs with the bezel and i was on the ground in seconds gasping,. goods times.

Training + a flashlight like this and a stout walking stick, and your good to go for a stroll thru the urban environ

DM51, please PM me if this post is a out of line....

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
... before DM51 comes back and locks this thread
Monocrom's prediction was accurate.

The OP's stated reason for this thread, and his disclaimers, are wholly unconvincing. It has been nothing more than a puerile and trollish discussion of how to inflict injuries on others. It's closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.