Uniqe Titanium
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415161718192023 ... LastLast

Thread: D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Eyes)

Default Re: D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Ey

Quote Originally Posted by donn_ View Post
    Can you do this in an Aleph LE? Particularly the 2-speed. It'll be used in an Aleph 3.

Hi Donn

Nope the board is way to big at 17mm.

Sorry Donn

Dave

Default Re: D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Ey

PM sent with some neophyte questions before I hash out an official order here.

PM sent regarding a recently acquired D36 SST-50.

Unenlightened

Dave,

for a D36 SST-50, 3-Level Reg, SMO

Thanks!
    Wormwood

Dave,

I tried sending a couple PMs and we discussed a bit but haven't heard back lately so maybe your box is full or you haven't had time. This is going into my M3 combatlight along with a couple minor questions:

-regulated "high voltage" one-level driver. (running 3x123 primaries or 2x18xxx, no dummies)
    - XP-G. You mentioned the R5 roughly gives 325 lumens but what do you estimate the R2 or Q5 outputs are? (a fan of warm but not if it nerfs output too much)
    -potted for durability
    -built as a thrower, no donut hole and I won't be messing with the -adjustment so loctite up the threads (I assume its built like the D26)
    -how smooth is the beam with a smooth reflector and how much does orange peel kill throw? I'm not anal retentive on smoothness but it can't look like a maglite

Thanks!

Eric
    Last edited by Cesiumsponge; 08-19-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cesiumsponge View Post
    Dave,

I tried sending a couple PMs and we discussed a bit but haven't heard back lately so maybe your box is full or you haven't had time. This is going into my M3 combatlight along with a couple minor questions:

-regulated "high voltage" one-level driver. (running 3x123 primaries or 2x18xxx, no dummies)
    - XP-G. You mentioned the R5 roughly gives 325 lumens but what do you estimate the R2 or Q5 outputs are? (a fan of warm but not if it nerfs output too much)

When ever you need to know lumens check Cree's website for their binning chart. The R2 will be about 270 lumens or so and Q5 will be about 240 or 250 lumens both are rough estimates but close as a R4 is about 290 lumens.
    -potted for durability
    -built as a thrower, no donut hole and I won't be messing with the -adjustment so loctite up the threads (I assume its built like the D26)
    -how smooth is the beam with a smooth reflector and how much does orange peel kill throw? I'm not anal retentive on smoothness but it can't look like a maglite

I don't mind an XPG in a smooth myself, I personally think it is passable but there will be some outer rings but a very nice tight hotspot.
    If you are wall hunting then get op. Op will cut down on throw some but will get rid of rings. Will it have a star shaped rings like in a maglite no but it will have outer rings.

Thanks!

Eric
    I went back and found the PM's I missed as for the foam, I will make this shorter since going in a M3 but the foam does sit on a ledge made into the reflector but not behind like with the original reflector. This means if it buckles which it occasionally does then you will have to CAREFULLY trim the foam.
    It depends on each light sometimes I do and sometimes I don't but either way it is not much you have to trim, maybe an 1/8th of an inch or slightly more.
    Sorry i missed the questions.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by nailbender View Post
    I went back and found the PM's I missed as for the foam, I will make this shorter since going in a M3 but the foam does sit on a ledge made into the reflector but not behind like with the original reflector. This means if it buckles which it occasionally does then you will have to CAREFULLY trim the foam.
    It depends on each light sometimes I do and sometimes I don't but either way it is not much you have to trim, maybe an 1/8th of an inch or slightly more.
    Sorry i missed the questions.

Dave
    Dave,

On the warmer tints, does the color of the hotspot differ from the spill much? On some LEDs, I've noticed this while not so much on others. If you're trimming down the reflector specifically for the M3, does this leave a larger ledge? I'm considering chucking the reflector on a lathe to turn a shoulder on it as I don't want to chance the foam slipping off, at an inopportune moment, if there is enough material. That, or if you know of anyone that makes a spacer that replaces the foam because its not necessary with the LED drop-ins. Let me know and thanks!

Eric

Dave,

On the warmer tints, does the color of the hotspot differ from the spill much? On some LEDs, I've noticed this while not so much on others. If you're trimming down the reflector specifically for the M3, does this leave a larger ledge? I'm considering chucking the reflector on a lathe to turn a shoulder on it as I don't want to chance the foam slipping off, at an inopportune moment, if there is enough material. That, or if you know of anyone that makes a spacer that replaces the foam because its not necessary with the LED drop-ins. Let me know and thanks!

Eric
    Hi Eric

Yes if you get a smooth reflector you will certainly see a color difference around the outer edge of the hotspot, if this bothers you then go with a OP and it will mix quite well together almost totally alleviating this.

There is enough metal to turn this down if you don't chip the anodizing that is the finish. As i wrote above the best idea and what most of us do is to trim the existing foam carefully and then it will not buckle. I will also shorten the length of the module slightly so that it will work better in an M3.

I would certainly try installing first and trimming foam second but then it is your module and of course you can fix as best you see fit.
    If foam is trimmed and cut edge turn up then the plastic guard will hide any crooked cut.

Dave

Hi Eric

Yes if you get a smooth reflector you will certainly see a color difference around the outer edge of the hotspot, if this bothers you then go with a OP and it will mix quite well together almost totally alleviating this.

There is enough metal to turn this down if you don't chip the anodizing that is the finish. As i wrote above the best idea and what most of us do is to trim the existing foam carefully and then it will not buckle. I will also shorten the length of the module slightly so that it will work better in an M3.

I would certainly try installing first and trimming foam second but then it is your module and of course you can fix as best you see fit.
    If foam is trimmed and cut edge turn up then the plastic guard will hide any crooked cut.

Dave
    Ah man, I love warm tones but I want this to outperform my M60W drop-in so lets go for an R4 and a reflector with OP. I'm not sure if you have different levels of OP available but minimal to smooth out the beam a tad without killing throw is my preference. It's really an outdoors-centric light given its larger carriage. It's 40 bones for this config right?

You've already got me thinking of a warm Linger or similar superfloody for another 6v host, darn you!

Ah man, I love warm tones but I want this to outperform my M60W drop-in so lets go for an R4 and a reflector with OP. I'm not sure if you have different levels of OP available but minimal to smooth out the beam a tad without killing throw is my preference. It's really an outdoors-centric light given its larger carriage. It's 40 bones for this config right?

You've already got me thinking of a warm Linger or similar superfloody for another 6v host, darn you!
    Hi

Yes the price is correct shipping is included CONUS

You say R4, do you then want 5000k or is a R5 coolwhite what you want. I just want to make sure I get you what is wanted.

All I have for reflectors is smooth and OP the op is not terribly heavy but only one kind.
    A smooth is not bad but does have some rings as all cree do in smooth reflectors.

Dave

I'm after thr R4 5000k daylight hue. In my limited experience, too cool a hue ends up making foliage look an odd bluish green. Lets do an OP reflector too. I'll PP when I get home. I hate typing on my phone (this is my third attempacompiling this message)

Dave,

I currently have an M3 head with a LF EO-M3, a LF C2M adapter, a bored 9P body and 2 AW18500's.
    Could you recommend me one of your drop ins that will work with this set up that will give me similar or better results in throw and output?
    I took my most recent 6P Linger Special R2 4000k camping and LOVE it's flood and tint. I'm looking for my M3 lego to do for throw what the Linger special does for flood. Looking for around the same tint or warmer (but not too warm).

Thanks, Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by think2x View Post
    Dave,

I currently have an M3 head with a LF EO-M3, a LF C2M adapter, a bored 9P body and 2 AW18500's.
    Could you recommend me one of your drop ins that will work with this set up that will give me similar or better results in throw and output?
    I took my most recent 6P Linger Special R2 4000k camping and LOVE it's flood and tint. I'm looking for my M3 lego to do for throw what the Linger special does for flood. Looking for around the same tint or warmer (but not too warm).

Thanks, Jamie
    Hi Jamie

We can put that tint XPG in a smooth reflector, the larger diameter gives a good hotpot but it will have some rings as most cree do in a smooth.

We can use a 4500k SST 50 in a smooth or op depending on tolerance for some rings.

XRE will have the narrowest viewing angle but neutrals are less lumens.

Dave

Hi Dave,

There should be a PM in your inbox from a day or two ago requesting PP info and a finalization on my order details. Could you take a look? Thanks!

Edit: for order.
    Last edited by Cesiumsponge; 08-25-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Hi Jamie

We can put that tint XPG in a smooth reflector, the larger diameter gives a good hotpot but it will have some rings as most cree do in a smooth.

We can use a 4500k SST 50 in a smooth or op depending on tolerance for some rings.

XRE will have the narrowest viewing angle but neutrals are less lumens.

Dave
    The SST 50 sounds nice. Do you have a driver that will work with 2x 18500's? If not I can change the host around a bit. I'm guessing the output to be near my Lumens Factory P7 head?

Quote Originally Posted by think2x View Post
    The SST 50 sounds nice. Do you have a driver that will work with 2x 18500's? If not I can change the host around a bit. I'm guessing the output to be near my Lumens Factory P7 head?
    Hi

I don't have a driver that will fit in a 17mm module that can use 8.4 volts, i have looked far and near with no luck.

Yes I would imagine that the sst 50 and the P7 would be quite close in lumens depending on what bin the P7 was.
    The biggest difference is the much more defined hot spot to the P7 quad die hotspot.

Dave

Dave:

I'd like to replace a scratched reflector in one of your D36 SST-50 modules. Will you let me know the cost so I can PP the payment?

Thanks!
    David

Hi

I don't have a driver that will fit in a 17mm module that can use 8.4 volts, i have looked far and near with no luck.

Yes I would imagine that the sst 50 and the P7 would be quite close in lumens depending on what bin the P7 was.
    The biggest difference is the much more defined hot spot to the P7 quad die hotspot.

Dave
    Sounds like what I am looking for. I'll just have to run a 18650 and spacer or a bored 6P body. I'll get back to you with an order towards the end of the week.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by saltytri View Post
    Dave:

I'd like to replace a scratched reflector in one of your D36 SST-50 modules. Will you let me know the cost so I can PP the payment?

Thanks!
    David
    $10 sent for OP D36 reflector. Thanks, Dave. I'll be more careful with this one!

Flashaholic

Dave,

Interested in an SST- drop in for the new FM 1x18650 host. What would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post
    Dave,

Interested in an SST- drop in for the new FM 1x18650 host. What would you recommend?

HI

THey are explained better in this thread. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=282416

It will give you the options that are available for SST 50 and SST 90. Let me know what head you are using and if you have questions after taking a look at the other thread. I would think a regulated driver with your choice of levels would be as good as anything.

Dave

I am looking to revivie some older lights with a D36 SST-50 4500K (W45S-GH400-WJ-N4) 1 level with a smooth reflector regulated.
    Is there a reflector to fit the Cabela's mini-turbo on a Solarforce L2 host? Will the same reflector fit a wolfeyes 9m?
    Thanks

Quick question.

Gonna order an XPG R5 D38 dropin but am wondering if the 3 mode has driver components on the outside of the pill base near the spring? If so I would probably go with a 1 mode . The pics show no components on the outside.

also the XRE/XPE s show different voltage ranges, are those drivers available forthe xpgs?

Thanx

Hey Dave,

What's the route to getting the most high-powered D-36 drop-in for the new FM 2x18650 host?

I have your SST-90 in the 1x26650 D36 host, and it is the sweetest dog walking light ever....I'm just wondering if the added voltage of a 2x18650 format makes it possible to ramp things up a notch

TIA,
    SN

Quote Originally Posted by purelite View Post
    Quick question.

Gonna order an XPG R5 D38 dropin but am wondering if the 3 mode has driver components on the outside of the pill base near the spring? If so I would probably go with a 1 mode . The pics show no components on the outside.

also the XRE/XPE s show different voltage ranges, are those drivers available forthe xpgs?

Thanx
    The multi mode does not have components on both sides for the XPG. It is just a common contact board with neg and pos.

I need to update the thread, I have a 3 level no memory hi / med/ low 3.6-8.4 volt for either. I also have a 2.8-6 volt 3 level for either.
    I also have a 1 level 4-14 volt for either.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by skunknuts79 View Post
    Hey Dave,

What's the route to getting the most high-powered D-36 drop-in for the new FM 2x18650 host?

I have your SST-90 in the 1x26650 D36 host, and it is the sweetest dog walking light ever....I'm just wondering if the added voltage of a 2x18650 format makes it possible to ramp things up a notch

TIA,
    SN
    Hi

the only drivers I have that will take a 2X18650 setup is XPG. I have 3 level no memory Hi/ Med/ Low or a 1 level 4-14 volt.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Just another question

I have one of your D26 XPGs dropins already. Can I get a just the LF style D36 reflector which supports C/P size pills from you and just swap my pill to the bigger reflector? I intend on putting this into a Fivemega D36x18650 host I am waiting on . If not I will just get a whole dropin but figured I wuld ask and see.

Quote Originally Posted by purelite View Post
    Hi Dave,

Just another question

I have one of your D26 XPGs dropins already. Can I get a just the LF style D36 reflector which supports C/P size pills from you and just swap my pill to the bigger reflector? I intend on putting this into a Fivemega D36x18650 host I am waiting on . If not I will just get a whole dropin but figured I wuld ask and see.

Hi

Sorry they will not work. D26 are built much smaller length wise. As posted on FM's thread his module pockets are a bit longer than usual to accommodate his incan modules this means that I have to build up the pills to increase the length of the module so it will fit. It has to be done built this way from scratch.

Dave

Ok Dave.

Thanx for clearing that up for me. I will be placing an order Sunday for either an SSt50 setup or an Xpg , I just cant decide yet but will by tomorrow!! Its just a decision of runtime/briteness tradeoffs for this rig.

can a SF Z48 tailcap handle the 2.5 amps of the SST50 module?

Payment sent for

1xD36 dropin
    XPG R5 cool
    MOP reflector Please do not glue reflector to module
    3.6-6v 3 mode Hi-Med-Lo NO Memory prefrred

3.6-8.4 ok if its the only Voltage range available with no memory 3 mode H-M-L

Thanx alot!!

Received the unit today and waiting for it to get dark. There is a sufficient gap between the ID of the M3 head and the OD of the drop-in reflector that I was able to pinch the foam ring between them, so it's going nowhere.

The beam profile is interesting and I rather like it. I don't have much else to compare it to in my budding collection, but its got a great intense hotspot, a larger diameter "medium" hotspot, then a large diameter spill. It looks like three concentric circles stacked on each other, quite unlike some other stuff I have which is generally a hotspot that fades smoothly to spill. This actually gives me useful intermediate lighting between the hotspot and spill.

Now to start planning a D26 dual XPG linger special or SST-90

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415161718192023 ... LastLast