Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Eyes)

Default Re: D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Ey

Quote Originally Posted by nailbender View Post
    Hi Kevin

Since you realize that the spill on the XML is more I myself think that the XML in a smooth D36 throws as far as a XRE, it simply doesn't have the pencil thin beam tunnel like beam. I have been quite pleased with the distance it will cover with the larger reflector.

No i have not modded a solarforce pro, I have not been modding lights in awhile.

Dave
    Sounds like I will be ordering one soon then. Thanks Dave.
    Sometimes we don't get what we pray for. Sometimes we get much more.

Default Re: D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Ey

Sorry. Posts weren't going through. Then all three popped up.
    Last edited by Kevin1322; 04-24-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Same.
    Last edited by Kevin1322; 04-24-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Flashaholic*

PM sent

PM sent with compatibility question. Thanks!

Question answered, thanks Dave!
    Paypal sent for single mode 9V XM-L 5000K SMO with thermal potting. This is gonna be good!
    Last edited by akflash; 05-14-2012 at 12:55 PM.

PP sent.

D36 SMOOTH reflector
    Cree XM-L T5 Neutral
    2.8 A driver
    3.4V-9V
    3 level regulated
    Potted Host: SF M3 head/L6 Digital Body.
    $50 +$15priority mail Int +4%

PM sent, but may as well post it here:

Time for a new project. I want to build an 8AA powerhouse, using one of Fivemega's 8aa hosts.

Looking for a D36 module, XM-L, cool white (U2 bin?), 3-level (low, med, high). I plan to run it on one of his black 8AA holders, 4.8v with 8 Eneloops.

What amperage do you suggest for the driver? I want at least 1000 lumens, more if I can get it, with around a 90 minute runtime on high. I want to substantially beat the specs of a Fenix TK41.

I assume I can get a D36 in these specs?
    My lights: I've given up on keeping my light list updated!

Quote Originally Posted by bonvivantmike View Post
    PM sent, but may as well post it here:

Time for a new project. I want to build an 8AA powerhouse, using one of Fivemega's 8aa hosts.

Looking for a D36 module, XM-L, cool white (U2 bin?), 3-level (low, med, high). I plan to run it on one of his black 8AA holders, 4.8v with 8 Eneloops.

What amperage do you suggest for the driver? I want at least 1000 lumens, more if I can get it, with around a 90 minute runtime on high. I want to substantially beat the specs of a Fenix TK41.

I assume I can get a D36 in these specs?
    Hi

I have not returned PM's from yesterday yet since I spent Sunday with my family.

For the module, if you want TRUE OTF lumens then I doubt you will quite get 1000 lumens. While many quote this figure most are Guessing at it, and the true 1300lumen figures are done on a LARGE chunk of copper that surely won't fit in a host
    The highest I have measured in a calibrated sphere is 925 - 950 lumens these were direct drive units which we can't use with your set-up as I am afraid the amperage will be too high and toast the emitter.
    I suggest a U2 coolwhite which I have in 1A tint and use a 4.2 amp driver. This should yield in the same area as the direct drive would so while it may not top 1000 lumens it should come close.
    As for runtime, since I don't keep runtimes and would not know how what the mah for your set-up is I really cant comment on runtime. It must be a 4S2P or something since it can't be all parallel at 4.5 volts but with out mah I can't guess. If you figure the mah then divide it by 4.2 amps.

Price is $50 shipping included in the US. Make sure and let me know what it is going in since there can be several mm difference in hosts.

If you order don't forget to tell me smooth or OP, the smooth does have better throw specially in this size module.

Dave

Looking at the d36 XML in smooth. In the past the highest output was the 4-6 volt. Is the new wide range volt driver equivalent?
    I am running a NB M series tower XPG with wide range volt driver as well works great just want more output with the new M3 head. Would I be wasting power using the D36/M3 on the M6 9V body vs 6V M3 body with dummy cell?

Hello - Any idea what the XP-G2 would look like in this reflector?

I know this is completely subjective but the reason I ask is that SST-50 and XM-L looks great in this reflector, but notsomuch with the XP-G. The XP-G was too small to really take advantage of the reflector real estate (not enough useful spill). The XP-G2 is appealing because it runs at 1/2 the amperage of the XM-L, so I thought it might be worth considering. Just wondering if you have tried the XP-G2/D36 combo. I guess another way to ask the question is would the XP-G2 beam profile resemble more the XM-L or XP-G if you had to go one way or the other?

I picked up one of your P60 XP-G2's and it is awesome. Great throw and output for a P60 module @ 1.4 amps. I will be picking up one of these D36 for a TnC host and leaning towards the XM-L, but still wondering what the XP-G2 would look like.

Received both the XML 26LOP and 36SM. The 26 3-6 volt runs good. Comparable to the SF 500 lumen Fury but a little brighter. The 36 regulated multi volt is weak. Comparable to SF 200 lumen TIR in brightness and throw.
    The 36 is not designed for a weapon light. The reflector does not have the stepped lip to hold the foam isolation strip in a contained way. Moving the 36 reflector can dismount the foam and allow it to fall into the reflector and loose containment of the reflector and allow it to rattle and shut off.
    The 26 was a good buy, but the 36 was not worth it and not worth disassembly of the stock bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroDynamic View Post
    Received both the XML 26LOP and 36SM. The 26 3-6 volt runs good. Comparable to the SF 500 lumen Fury but a little brighter. The 36 regulated multi volt is weak. Comparable to SF 200 lumen TIR in brightness and throw.
    The 36 is not designed for a weapon light. The reflector does not have the stepped lip to hold the foam isolation strip in a contained way. Moving the 36 reflector can dismount the foam and allow it to fall into the reflector and loose containment of the reflector and allow it to rattle and shut off.
    The 26 was a good buy, but the 36 was not worth it and not worth disassembly of the stock bezel.
    Hi

You were told the 6 volts ran at a higher amperage actually is well over 500 lumens as measured in a sphere unless it was the 90+cri. The D36 was a 2.2 amp so you could run all your batts even though we talked that it would be brighter with a 6 volt if I remember right. Even at 2.2 amps it measure a full 500lumens but then everyone see things different.

You are the Only person out of 30+ that have bought recently that seems to have trouble mounting it, I even have several sold in the last 2 weeks that have reordered to fill other M3's. Try cutting the outer spring a ring or two as it has enough lip but it either is not being seated properly or the outer spring is forcing it up. It doesn't have the small lip the original does but I have two installed with no problems and mine closes and stays properly. All modules are built the same length.

Better yet send it back and when I receive it I will refund, if bought off the website please include invoice number.

Dave

I posted and emailed through your website for info on the driver as the 6 volt d36 was not listed anymore. No response.

The brightness was a comparison of known lights as lumen ratings are all over the boards. Not to say Surefire or yours are over or under rated.

The drop in is seated no problem. But it does not have the lip to safeguard foam movement. The drop in does not maintain the same level of reliability as factory. This is important to some even though a small percentage.

I posted and emailed through your website for info on the driver as the 6 volt d36 was not listed anymore. No response.

The brightness was a comparison of known lights as lumen ratings are all over the boards. Not to say Surefire or yours are over or under rated.

The drop in is seated no problem. But it does not have the lip to safeguard foam movement. The drop in does not maintain the same level of reliability as factory. This is important to some even though a small percentage.
    Hi

i Get about 100 emails a day and up to 30 or more PM's if I missed one I apologize if you don't get a answer send another or PM me as they all get answered as anyone here will tell you. I would love for you to send me another email so I could search my emails and see what I missed on your question.
    I certainly am not going to argue any points with you as usually we take care of problems in PM's but as I have already posted and responded telling you to send it back and I will gladly refund your money which is the best I can do as I can't refund it being a PIA taking apart.

Thanks

Dave

I thank you for your offer and hoped they would have worked out as I wanted as they are a good price and quality.
    Last edited by HydroDynamic; 10-07-2012 at 03:10 PM.

I thank you for your offer and hoped they would have worked out as I wanted as they are a good price and quality.
    Hi

No problem, I send about 6 a week to Japan where they are thoroughly happy with them in M3's.

thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

I want to get one of your D36 modules. I already have a 2x18500 Leefbody and C-M adapter, but I have a question on what head to use. I really don't think I want to use an M3 head, because I'm afraid the foam will block a lot of the spill and overall output. What about a KL-2 head - would that work with a D36? Any others you would recommend?

Thanks,

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Hi Dave,

I want to get one of your D36 modules. I already have a 2x18500 Leefbody and C-M adapter, but I have a question on what head to use. I really don't think I want to use an M3 head, because I'm afraid the foam will block a lot of the spill and overall output. What about a KL-2 head - would that work with a D36? Any others you would recommend?

Thanks,

-Rich
    Hi

I am not sure why you think the foam will block the spill as it doesn't protrude into the reflector and only sits back about 1/4 of an inch.
    The member that had trouble with his did not consult me or else he could have resolved the issue as few others have had trouble. There are a few FM hosts but they are not just heads, same for TNC but again no heads.
    Lumens factory may have one but the module will have to be stretched to accommodate their lamphead if that is chosen make sure and tell me that. Other than those I know of no others except the M3.

To my knowledge a KL2 will not work.

Dave

D36 Module for use in TnC 1x26650 host (with D36 head)
    Cree XM-L T60 flux bin 3C 5000k daylight white
    2.8 amp / 6v max
    3 level Low / Med / High Regulated
    SMO Reflector
    Potted

Thanks!

Dave,

Any more stock of the clone D36 heads or know a source of M3 bezel removal tools?
    ---------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Flea Bag View Post
    Dave,

Any more stock of the clone D36 heads or know a source of M3 bezel removal tools?
    HI

No cloned heads.

if you run a search of the forum I came up with this http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?335586-FS-Bezel-removal-tools-for-M3-and-M6&highlight=m3+bezel+removal+tool

These are good tools since they are metal

Dave

Brilliant! Then I'd like to ask your recommendation for a D36 unit! Requirements:

1. This is primarily going to be my bicycle light so I need some throw with a good wide beam to see some of the periphery. The key to a good bike light IMHO is a large hotspot with medium throw and natural transition to spill which judging from beamshots, your XM-Ls in D26 size modules look ideal. However, I need that sort of beam in a D36 or M-Head compatible beam.

2. Need medium mode to last as close to 5 hours as possible when running off 2x18650 3100mAh cells. More runtime would be a waste of lumen potential and less runtime would not be ideal. Hope brightness is at least 200-300 lumens or more at that duration. Performance on high is of second priority to endurance on medium.

3. Looking for higher CRI and warm tint of 4000K or below but I've seen the Nichia 219 4500K and in that example, I don't mind the higher CCT though most of the time I like the warmer, incan-like-tints.

4. Voltage input range allowing 1 or 2 li-ions would be ideal.

5. Do you sell the bezel removal tool direct or will I have to order separately from RPM?

6. Would prefer if it's just high/medium mode with no low but if this is not possible, I'll be fine with that!

7. Your Linger Editions also look interesting and feedback was that they're great bike lights. I'm fine with whatever you recommend!

Thanks for the trouble!
    Last edited by Flea Bag; 10-18-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    ---------------------

Brilliant! Then I'd like to ask your recommendation for a D36 unit! Requirements:

1. This is primarily going to be my bicycle light so I need some throw with a good wide beam to see some of the periphery. The key to a good bike light IMHO is a large hotspot with medium throw and natural transition to spill which judging from beamshots, your XM-Ls in D26 size modules look ideal. However, I need that sort of beam in a D36 or M-Head compatible beam.

2. Need medium mode to last as close to 5 hours as possible when running off 2x18650 3100mAh cells. More runtime would be a waste of lumen potential and less runtime would not be ideal. Hope brightness is at least 200-300 lumens or more at that duration. Performance on high is of second priority to endurance on medium.

3. Looking for higher CRI and warm tint of 4000K or below but I've seen the Nichia 219 4500K and in that example, I don't mind the higher CCT though most of the time I like the warmer, incan-like-tints.

4. Voltage input range allowing 1 or 2 li-ions would be ideal.

5. Do you sell the bezel removal tool direct or will I have to order separately from RPM?

6. Would prefer if it's just high/medium mode with no low but if this is not possible, I'll be fine with that!

7. Your Linger Editions also look interesting and feedback was that they're great bike lights. I'm fine with whatever you recommend!

Thanks for the trouble!

HI

SInce I posted a link to the bezel removal tools then for sure I don't carry them. You have to order from RPM.

Now for the module, using a 2X18650 set up limits you to a single level 2.2 amp module and that is the only one I have. Adding cells in series adds little to no runtime as adding cells in series adds voltage but not capacity and simply makes it harder to have options since most emitters run at 3.5 volts or less. Since a 6 volt version is 2.8 amps this 2.2 amp will not be as bright as a standard 6 volt version.

In six volt I have a 3 level available that is 100% / 30% / 5% . If you want a 90CRI XML it will run at about 500 lumens on high and 30% on medium. A 4C 4500k standard CRI will give closer to 600 on high.

The only 2 mode is high / low no high / med.

Dave

HI

SInce I posted a link to the bezel removal tools then for sure I don't carry them. You have to order from RPM.

Now for the module, using a 2X18650 set up limits you to a single level 2.2 amp module and that is the only one I have. Adding cells in series adds little to no runtime as adding cells in series adds voltage but not capacity and simply makes it harder to have options since most emitters run at 3.5 volts or less. Since a 6 volt version is 2.8 amps this 2.2 amp will not be as bright as a standard 6 volt version.

In six volt I have a 3 level available that is 100% / 30% / 5% . If you want a 90CRI XML it will run at about 500 lumens on high and 30% on medium. A 4C 4500k standard CRI will give closer to 600 on high.

The only 2 mode is high / low no high / med.

Dave
    Sorry I mis-read your post when you said "I came up with this" in reference to the M3 bezel removal tool! I thought you meant that you designed or created it in conjunction with RPM and so might have a few lying around!

Regarding the 3.6 to 16V, 2.2amp driver module, do you mean that running off 1x, 2x or 3x18650 in series will all give me roughly the same runtime and roughly the same brightness?

Will using an SST-90 83CRI 3000K make better use of the excess voltage?
    Last edited by Flea Bag; 10-20-2012 at 02:18 AM.
    ---------------------

Sorry I mis-read your post when you said "I came up with this" in reference to the M3 bezel removal tool! I thought you meant that you designed or created it in conjunction with RPM and so might have a few lying around!

Regarding the 3.6 to 16V, 2.2amp driver module, do you mean that running off 1x, 2x or 3x18650 in series will all give me roughly the same runtime and roughly the same brightness?

Will using an SST-90 83CRI 3000K make better use of the excess voltage?
    HI

On the tool I simply stated that if you run a search of this forum you usually find what you are looking for and that is what I did.

An emitter is an emitter is an emitter, I don't care what tint you use they run off the same voltage so tint makes Zero difference in voltage.

As I stated when you add cells in series you do Not gain practical runtime and of course the brightness will be the same using one , two , or three cells as the driver has to limit the voltage to what the emitter is designed for which in this case is 3.5 volts not 8.4 or 12 or 16. This means the driver has to shed the voltage which is done as heat. Find a way to run multiple cells in parallel then you add capacity.

Dave

HI

On the tool I simply stated that if you run a search of this forum you usually find what you are looking for and that is what I did.

An emitter is an emitter is an emitter, I don't care what tint you use they run off the same voltage so tint makes Zero difference in voltage.

As I stated when you add cells in series you do Not gain practical runtime and of course the brightness will be the same using one , two , or three cells as the driver has to limit the voltage to what the emitter is designed for which in this case is 3.5 volts not 8.4 or 12 or 16. This means the driver has to shed the voltage which is done as heat. Find a way to run multiple cells in parallel then you add capacity.

Multiple celled hosts were Not made for leds but for incans. That is why a major flashlight makers now sells 18650 dummy cells.

Dave

HI

Dave
    Thanks for the response... So now I understand that your 3.6-16V drivers are hard core constant output voltage and constant output current regardless of input voltage level. Need to consider my options now.
    ---------------------

Sigh Re: D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Ey

Hi Dave,

Sorry. This is embarrassing, but I've made a major mis-calculation as to the host that will power this drop-in. I'll have to withdraw for now. Please ignore the requirements below.

1. MOP reflector
    2. SST-90 83 CRI 3000K
    3a. 2.8 to 6 volt driver
    3b. 3-level High, Medium, Low in that order?
    4a. High level set to 4.2 A.
    4b. So medium at 30% would be around 1.26A right?
    4c. How many lumens OTF would the SST-90 output at this medium output compared to XM-L T40 flux bin 6A3 3500k Warm white? Rough guesstimate?
    5. Finally, althought the SST-90 is considered floody, would its throw in D36 reflector be equivalent or better than XM-L in D26 reflector? Again, just a guesstimate?

Thanks for bothering with my questions...
    Last edited by Flea Bag; 10-20-2012 at 11:46 AM.
    ---------------------

Hi Dave,

Paypal coming for one D36 with Thermal potting...

Cree XM-L
    U3 bin 1C tint
    2.8-6 volts 3.0 amp (your new driver)
    3 level regulated Hi/Med/Low
    Smooth reflector
    Host: Solarforce L2P 1x18650
    Head: Lumens Factory D36 Mini-Turbo Head Assembly (LFD36MTH)
    Thermal potting.

Thanks!

So the 3.6V-16V 2.2A driver is not a buck driver, but apparently a linear regulator with a very wide voltage input range?

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111415161718192021222324 LastLast