SunwayLED
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 4Sevens Quark Round-up Review: Q123, QAA, Q123-2, QAA-2 - RUNTIMES, COMPARISONS, etc

Default Re: 4Sevens Quark Round-up Review: Q123, QAA, Q123-2, QAA-2 - RUNTIMES, COMPARISONS,

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    More or less - there is always some variability from sample to sample (due to accepted variances in circuit, LED output bin, Vf, etc). And protected 14500s typically have slightly higher capacity than protected RCR, despite being rated the same (typically ~10-30% more in my testing).

At special request, I have now done the 17670 runtime on the QAA head (using the 123-2 battery tube). The result is interesting:

As you can see, you get much longer runtime than RCR or 14500, as expected. But the buck/boost QAA circuit doesn't outperform the buck-only Q123-2 on 17670.

The reason for this appears to be in the regulation - the Q123/QAA head is fully regulated on 1x3.7V Li-ion, but the Q123-2 drops out of regulation and into something approaching direct drive after ~40 mins in the 17670 run. Direct drive is always more efficient that flat-line regulation, so it's not surprising to me that the Q123-2 wins out on 17670.
    When the 123^2 goes into direct drive (from too low voltage), will the different modes still work? Or would you lose everything except high, like when a Fenix PD20 goes to direct-drive on 16340 from too high voltage?

Default Re: 4Sevens Quark Round-up Review: Q123, QAA, Q123-2, QAA-2 - RUNTIMES, COMPARISONS,

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHatfield View Post
    When the 123^2 goes into direct drive (from too low voltage), will the different modes still work? Or would you lose everything except high, like when a Fenix PD20 goes to direct-drive on 16340 from too high voltage?
    No, you should still have the lower modes running fine (and regulated). The direct-drive pattern is common on multi-mode lights driven at their highest level - the circuitry just can't maintain perfectly flat regulation at that level. It is only once the battery is nearly exhausted that you would loose distinct output levels - although that would mean the light producing low output not high at all levels.

FYI, this is a rather old review, based on the original XP-E R2 quarks. They long ago switched to higher output XP-G emitters, so the output levels and runtimes here are somewhat out of date.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Olight M18 Striker.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Wow thanks for the fast response! In that case, i might consider buying a 123^2 head some time...
    I didn't look at the actual runtimes, but only at the fact that the 123^2 head ran longer than the low voltage head, and i guess the circuits didn't change enough to reverse those results.
    Now all i need is another NW Tactical run

I'm hoping for an xm-l u2 run!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hi selfbuilt,

Thanks for doing this review.

In your charts where is say Max Throw and gives the lux reading for ex. 75 (5700 lux) What is the number just to the left of the parenthesis? Is that yards or something?
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    Shorty C/D M*glites

Quote Originally Posted by vestureofblood View Post
    In your charts where is say Max Throw and gives the lux reading for ex. 75 (5700 lux) What is the number just to the left of the parenthesis? Is that yards or something?
    In my older reviews (before ANSI FL-1 was established), the "throw" number on the left is the beam distance (in meters) to 1 lux.

I used this measure as it was simple to calculate (i.e. it just the square root of the lux @1m). With ANSI FL-1, beam distance was set as distance to 0.25 lux (i.e. multiply the lux @1m by four, and take the square root). Either method is fine - both are basically a way to linearize the throw/beam distance - you just need to compare within the same chart (i.e. using the same method).
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Olight M18 Striker.

Thanks.

For your testing do you position the sensor @ 1M or do you go father out and then multiply?
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    Shorty C/D M*glites

Since ANSI FL-1 has been established, I use a comparable method - in this case, 5 meters distance and calculate back to 1m. I also report the peak brighteness reading (which may not be absolute centre).

In my older reviews, I typically used hotspot centre, and measured at 1m or 5m, depending on the light. So for regular pocket lights (i.e. 1xAA, 1xCR123A), I typically measured at 1m. For thrower lights (2xCR123A), I typically measured at 5m and calculated back. Unless specified in the table or the text, you can reasonably assume the measurements were actually done at 1m (in older reviews, pre ANSI FL-1).

Hey Selfbuilt,

Just wondering if you were going to release any test results for the new xm-l emitters? I'm especially interested in knowing how the Quark AA with a xm-l head using 14500 batteries specs out.

Thanks!

NP

It's obvious you put a lot of work into these reviews. Thanks for an outstanding review.

I have two mini 123s. One broke after about a year and the other broke after a few months. I do not think the electronics are very good. I prefer the form factor, but need something more reliable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dealer View Post
    I have two mini 123s. One broke after about a year and the other broke after a few months. I do not think the electronics are very good. I prefer the form factor, but need something more reliable.
    did you get FREE replacements (10 yrs warranty)?

Based quite a bit on this thread I have a 123 R5 with no clip on the way. I hope it's not violently green.

Some other reading in this thread made me mess around with my Jetbeam MKII and my Regal EDC. Both run ok on NimH but REALLY perk up with 14500!

Trying to see which among my 5 or 6 14500 are good enough. Don't have anything but Ultrafire in that size.

That is also why I got a 123 instead of AA on the way.
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

My Clipless 123 arrived today. I do not notice any green tint. Maybe even a bit blue in the lowest mode.

It has a bigger smooth edged hotspot than my P2D. And even Low is lower than P2D low. Moonlight is LOW!!!!!!!

And it clobbers P2D turbo to turbo.

I am a happy camper!
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

The Quark 123 has a much better beam and is easier to hold as well. Have you looked at the XML versions?
    I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. Jesus Christ - John 12:46

Gotta love them Quarks!

i have the feeling that the rebranded Quarks have a different, improved build quality. look at the wall thickness, the tailcap and overall appearance. would be easy to find out if someone with the new Quark could measure the exact weight.

nice build quality!!