The very best 2AA flashlight?

zmoz

Enlightened
I want to get a small flashlight to keep in my truck. What would you guys recomend as the best 2AA flashlight that will work nicely on NiMh batteries? Modded or not...definately LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ironic

Newly Enlightened
Off the top of my head i'd have to say Princeton Tec or Underwater Kinetics.

Or Mini Mag with a Dat2Zip sandwich would probably be the brightest, but more dough.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
BB/MM module from dat2zip gets my nod... excellent with NiMHs, cheap, bright... No nonsense.

Tomas

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
ARC's aint expensive....

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheheheheh ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Opelic Newbeam kit for Mag Lite AA. Long run time at full brightness, about 10 hours with alkaline batteries. NiMH's do not tolerate heat well, and would not be spot on dependable if left in truck during summer. Lithium, or even Alkaline batteries would be a better choice. Lithium's are very expensive, but very reliable. Alkaline can be very inexpensive, $0.20 up. Me, I would go with alkaline and have a couple of fresh cells in glove box. Bill

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
ARC's aint expensive....

[/ QUOTE ]

not compared to a $600 wonderlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
ARC's aint expensive....

[/ QUOTE ]

not compared to a $600 wonderlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOhh...now i get it. Sheesh that took me a while! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

I would say that the best 2AA flashlight using NiMH would be a modified Mini-Mag using any one of the LED/circuit board found here on CPF. If i had any money left, i would invest the time and money in one of these setups. If they are anywhere near as bright as my LSH-P, then i would say that you would be MORE than satisfied with it's output. Some of the converter boards are running at 500mah or more and should put out more light that an Arc LS, but whatever setup you chose, your 2aa flashlight will be at least as bright as a 2-D cell flashlight.

Good luck on your search!

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
I have recently got a MadMax+ Q3 from Dat2zip that I stuck in a pewter Mini-mag with a mineral glass lens and kroll switch and to be honest I really don't think I'd want to swap it for any other 1W LS out there.
Due to my dubious financial disposition this was going to be the last light I was planning on purchasing for a while but I was so pleased with it there is now a BB400 /wQ3 flying over the Atlantic with my name on it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
I'm really going to have to give myself a good talking to!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm, you did say very best. I guess that means price is not an option? I think you need to define the light better. So you want a wide beam, a narrower beam. Do you want long runtime. Do you want bright. It depends on what you want it to do for you.

If you are able to define what you want, maybe the choises can be narrowed. If something does not perfectly fit. Have what you want made.

avusblue

Enlightened
For the stated purpose, I agree 100% with the following. I would also suggest adding a glass lens as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
Opelic Newbeam kit for Mag Lite AA. Long run time at full brightness, about 10 hours with alkaline batteries. NiMH's do not tolerate heat well, and would not be spot on dependable if left in truck during summer. Lithium, or even Alkaline batteries would be a better choice. Lithium's are very expensive, but very reliable. Alkaline can be very inexpensive, $0.20 up. Me, I would go with alkaline and have a couple of fresh cells in glove box. Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any experience with the modded ones so my answer would be the Arc LS with the 2AA battery holder. I got a factory second a couple of years ago for $50. Lot's of luck trying to get one at that price now. I prefer the wider beam ones. I think the high domes have a narrower beam. Still okay though, and you may prefer it.

Keep in mind you have to recharge NiMH every month or so. After two months, there won't be much run time left. And in hot weather, the self-discharge would probably be considerably worse.

If it's just for emergency use, a lithium cell flashlight may be the way to go in the summer time. I carry an Inova X5 (old style) in the glovebox.

P.S. I guess it was the "very best" in the subject that caused me to click on it. The fact is there is no such thing. It depends on what you use the light for, and what your preferences are. I'm looking for durability and reliability. The color of the hard anodized finish etc. is way down on my list of criteria. But the LS has HAIII, or so they tell me, so you're covered there.

bwcaw

Enlightened
I've never been much of a Maglight fan, so carrying around a modified mag light just doesn't do it for me. I would have to go with some of these other guys and tell you to get an arc lsh-x with the 2aa pack. IHMO it is the best all around 2aa light availeable. Plus, you can switch to 123 pack if you want compact size! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My vote goes to souped up Minim*g.

I have an earlier Madmax module in one. Very nice! Pretty darn bright! (bright enough for any purpose I've tried it for...). Excellent beam. Part wide, but still good throw.
People tell me I'm wrong, but I turned Madmax on with fresh 1850mAh NimH cells, and proceeded to web surf. At about 3 hours and 50 minutes it dimmed significantly. Most folk state that 2.5 hours is more normal.

I have an Opalec in another. Nice wide beam. Not a lot of throw, but in pitch dark it's pretty bright. Supposed to have 10 hour run at full bright, so I might never know for sure!

One or the other is on my belt every day. I take the Opalec many days due to the runtime potential (and based on where I am going that day). Take the Madmax at night (to light up the dark areas!)

But they are my co-favorite lights... tied for first!

Blikbok

Enlightened
My favorite 2AA light is the DSpeck UBH with SF KL1 head. I can run 2x AA or 3x123. It's the first surefire I'm not afraid to turn on and leave on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no doubt about it... the LSP-H with 2 AA tube, loaded with two lithium AA. "The very best" carries a tag price...

Nobody has mentioned a 2AA flashlights on the cheap side... a Princeton Tec TEC 20, it has an halogen bulb, it is bright and reliable. It draws 500 mA from alkalines, and keeps its brilliance with NiMH too. May be an Idea for 20 $?

Anthony

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on your precise needs. You will get a ton of opinions on which is the best 2AA LED light.

If this is going to be kept in the truck (vehicle), then I recommend something that is not expensive. (You have to allow for the possibility it may be stolen.)

Since you want something that works well with NiMHs, that elimminates a fair selection.

Oh, there is no LSP-H. It is the LSH-P. Also, guys, he stated LED, not Incandescent.

The Brinkmann Rebel and their LED headlamp both work well with NiMHs and are both 2AA.

The PT Impact (4AA) does not work with NiMHs at all. The direct drive Luxeons (Reactor and Inretech) require Lithium AA to work properly. The Versalux PR-2 LED bulb and their MagmaLED drop in for the 2AA minimag only work with alkaline AAs, as anything else will result in overheating, very quickly.

One of the sandwiches (1 watt LS) should work just fine. These are intended for the 2AA minimag body, but also used in other light bodies.