Uniqe Titanium

Thread: 84W Blitz comparison

Hybrid View

Default 84W Blitz comparison

A while back I purchased BVH's 84W HID Blitz and he's been asking me for months to take a couple of beam shots at long range.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=221118

It may be a while before I make it out for 600-800 yard beam shots but I've got a convenient power line tower positioned to the west of my driveway at 330+ yards depending on where I stand. Tonight it was about 335 yards.

This was just a quick toss 'em on the table, toss 'em on the tripod comparison but I figured the PH-50 is always a fun light and since the K3500R has been in a few recent threads I thought I'd use it also.

The Lights:

84W Blitz HID mod by BVH, PH-50, Microfire K3500R

Control (wide)

K3500R

PH-50

84W Blitz Mod from BVH

Control (zoomed)

K3500R

PH-50

84W Blitz Mod From BVH

The 84W Blitz is a literal light cannon and almost expected I guess. What blows my mind is the difference between the K3500R and the PH-50. The K3500R is no slouch imo.

Enjoy the fresh beamies. I haven't seen many posted in the HID section for a while.
    Last edited by Patriot; 06-24-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Thumbs up Re: 84W Blitz comparison

Wow the 84W Blitz is a beast! I never knew it was so large. What diameter is the reflector on that thing? I wonder what throws farther that, or the Databank 70?…….

Thanks for the beam shoots, just one more to add in order to help with my collective picture of how lights stack up to one another.
    “What do you mean LEDs are more efficient then Incans?”, that’s just what they want you to think! It’s a Conspiracy, Man!

Default Re: 84W Blitz comparison

The reflector is 9.5"

70 P4s driven at nominal voltage would be about 12,600 emitter lumens. The 84W Blitz mod is around 9500 lumens. That said, I doubt the P4's would have any throw advantage over a the Blitz's single point source of light and large reflector. Actually, I believe it would fall well short of the Blitz in that area.

Btw, these beam shots are almost perfectly exposed to match what the eye see's. If anything, I'd say they're maybe a half stop under exposed judging from the K3500.

Very nice beam shoots & thanks for sharing!

Another good example to show how the PH50 illuminate distant object & still provide you much lateral vision!

The 84W Blitz is really amazing! How long can it run? I'm expecting to see the longer range beam shots.

Joe

Thanks Paul! The Blitz sure has a very tight beam and hotspot. More than I realized. Makes me want to go out and put mine together. Just waiting on some parts from Lips.

Now for the 500 and 1000 Yard shots!
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starbursts, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Sure Bob and it was fun to finally take some quick shots even if the location wasn't perfect. As you can tell, there is a whole bunch of ambient light on my street. Not only are there three prominent metal halide street lights, many people have their porch and garage lights on too.

Your 84W HID Blitz mod does have an amazingly tight beam which I estimate at less than 3 degrees angle when comparing to other lights. Even the Costco doesn't seem to be as tight or have nearly as nicely shaped beam.

I feel fortunate that you actually let this thing out of captivity so that I could be enjoying it. You really out did yourself.
    Last edited by Patriot; 06-26-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_torch View Post

Another good example to show how the PH50 illuminate distant object & still provide you much lateral vision!

Yes, considering the size of the reflector, the PH-50 is some kind of bizarre superlight. It manages some impressive throw while still mixing abundant lumens into its large corona. Other than a slight electrode wire shadow, the corona is nearly flawless and even. There are enough lumens in the corona to light power lines (the thin lines themselves) at over 500 yards to the naked eye.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...7&postcount=81

JoeTorch
    The 84W Blitz is really amazing! How long can it run? I'm expecting to see the longer range beam shots.
    The run-time is probably the second best thing about this light. It uses a 6400mah Li-po battery that doesn't ever get hot. Although I've never done a full run-time test, since I know the actual output and battery capacity it should run for very close to an hour at 84W or about 2.5 hours at the 35W setting.
    Last edited by Patriot; 06-27-2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: grammar

That's a really nice set of beamshots. The Blitz is definitely a monster. I really need to find a ~10K lumen light for my collection..

I'm actually impressed the most by the PH50 from those three shots though.
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    The run-time is probably the second best thing about this light. It uses a 6400mah Li-po battery that doesn't never gets hot. Although I've never done a full run-time test, since I know the actual output and battery capacity it should run for very close to an hour at 84W or about 2.5 hours at the 35W setting.
    Thanks for the information, Paul. Although it does look like huge, it isn't weight that heavy. Perhaps the relatviely light weight is the third beautiful of the 84W Blitz.