Battery Junction - Olight
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 84W Blitz comparison

Default 84W Blitz comparison

A while back I purchased BVH's 84W HID Blitz and he's been asking me for months to take a couple of beam shots at long range.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=221118

It may be a while before I make it out for 600-800 yard beam shots but I've got a convenient power line tower positioned to the west of my driveway at 330+ yards depending on where I stand. Tonight it was about 335 yards.

This was just a quick toss 'em on the table, toss 'em on the tripod comparison but I figured the PH-50 is always a fun light and since the K3500R has been in a few recent threads I thought I'd use it also.

The Lights:

84W Blitz HID mod by BVH, PH-50, Microfire K3500R

Control (wide)

K3500R

PH-50

84W Blitz Mod from BVH

Control (zoomed)

K3500R

PH-50

84W Blitz Mod From BVH

The 84W Blitz is a literal light cannon and almost expected I guess. What blows my mind is the difference between the K3500R and the PH-50. The K3500R is no slouch imo.

Enjoy the fresh beamies. I haven't seen many posted in the HID section for a while.
    Last edited by Patriot; 06-24-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Thumbs up Re: 84W Blitz comparison

Wow the 84W Blitz is a beast! I never knew it was so large. What diameter is the reflector on that thing? I wonder what throws farther that, or the Databank 70?…….

Thanks for the beam shoots, just one more to add in order to help with my collective picture of how lights stack up to one another.
    “What do you mean LEDs are more efficient then Incans?”, that’s just what they want you to think! It’s a Conspiracy, Man!

Default Re: 84W Blitz comparison

The reflector is 9.5"

70 P4s driven at nominal voltage would be about 12,600 emitter lumens. The 84W Blitz mod is around 9500 lumens. That said, I doubt the P4's would have any throw advantage over a the Blitz's single point source of light and large reflector. Actually, I believe it would fall well short of the Blitz in that area.

Btw, these beam shots are almost perfectly exposed to match what the eye see's. If anything, I'd say they're maybe a half stop under exposed judging from the K3500.

Very nice beam shoots & thanks for sharing!

Another good example to show how the PH50 illuminate distant object & still provide you much lateral vision!

The 84W Blitz is really amazing! How long can it run? I'm expecting to see the longer range beam shots.

Joe

Thanks Paul! The Blitz sure has a very tight beam and hotspot. More than I realized. Makes me want to go out and put mine together. Just waiting on some parts from Lips.

Now for the 500 and 1000 Yard shots!
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Sure Bob and it was fun to finally take some quick shots even if the location wasn't perfect. As you can tell, there is a whole bunch of ambient light on my street. Not only are there three prominent metal halide street lights, many people have their porch and garage lights on too.

Your 84W HID Blitz mod does have an amazingly tight beam which I estimate at less than 3 degrees angle when comparing to other lights. Even the Costco doesn't seem to be as tight or have nearly as nicely shaped beam.

I feel fortunate that you actually let this thing out of captivity so that I could be enjoying it. You really out did yourself.
    Last edited by Patriot; 06-26-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling

gosh...this sure makes the hyperblitz look like hypoblitz

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_torch View Post

Another good example to show how the PH50 illuminate distant object & still provide you much lateral vision!

Yes, considering the size of the reflector, the PH-50 is some kind of bizarre superlight. It manages some impressive throw while still mixing abundant lumens into its large corona. Other than a slight electrode wire shadow, the corona is nearly flawless and even. There are enough lumens in the corona to light power lines (the thin lines themselves) at over 500 yards to the naked eye.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...7&postcount=81

JoeTorch
    The 84W Blitz is really amazing! How long can it run? I'm expecting to see the longer range beam shots.
    The run-time is probably the second best thing about this light. It uses a 6400mah Li-po battery that doesn't ever get hot. Although I've never done a full run-time test, since I know the actual output and battery capacity it should run for very close to an hour at 84W or about 2.5 hours at the 35W setting.
    Last edited by Patriot; 06-27-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: grammar

That's a really nice set of beamshots. The Blitz is definitely a monster. I really need to find a ~10K lumen light for my collection..

I'm actually impressed the most by the PH50 from those three shots though.
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

Hey Patriot,
    Thanks for the great beamshots, unbelievable What settings did you use on your camera for these beamshots?
    Bob
    Polarion PH50 & Night Reaper, AE Xenide 20w, POB 35W, SL Scorpion, SL-35X, POB 55W, Jet Beam Jet-1, DEFT HO & EDC LR, MULE 35/80W HID, Maxa Beam MBS-410.

You're welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Settings were 8" F4.0 ISO/50 WB/Daylight

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    The run-time is probably the second best thing about this light. It uses a 6400mah Li-po battery that doesn't never gets hot. Although I've never done a full run-time test, since I know the actual output and battery capacity it should run for very close to an hour at 84W or about 2.5 hours at the 35W setting.
    Thanks for the information, Paul. Although it does look like huge, it isn't weight that heavy. Perhaps the relatviely light weight is the third beautiful of the 84W Blitz.

Not that I'd be back packing it around but the weight is very nice. It's 1/2 the weight of the Costco HID and just 2 lbs heavier than the Polarion.

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    gosh...this sure makes the hyperblitz look like hypoblitz

lol....well, I'm not so sure about that. Mark's Hyperblitz is double the lumens of this light so in that regard the BVH Blitz mod comes up short. If we just consider max lux or throw, this light probably has the advantage and throws a brighter more narrow hot spot.

The closest illustration that I'm able to find is in the 2008 Shootout Thread.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=199730

There, an "80W" (not sure if this it verified or not) Costco is seen directly in the next frame with the HyperBlitz. As you can see, the 80W Costco is a little bit brighter on the power line tower itself. If I take into account that the BVH Blitz mod has both a slightly larger and better reflector than the Costo and has also been verified at a true 84W, then it should have a distint throw advantage over both the 80W Costo and Hyperblitz.

Paul, the Costco 80 is verified at 80 Watts and running a Fatboy.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Thanks Bob, I figured someone would know. Come to think of it, that's one of your creations too, correct?

Hey Patriot.

Had some questions in regards to the Blitz84 maybe you could answer?

Is that bulb a H4 or H7?
    If it is a H4, do you think one would fit in my Ti-Mega for a super throw beam?
    What colour temp is the bulb?

You stated 9000+Lumens? WOW

I need this power for my Ti-Mega

This looks to be an H7 type bulb but BVH would have to verify that. The base was modded to fit the blitz. The color temperature on low is about 4600-4800K and on high it's about 4200K

Hey, if you're going to do something with the Ti Mega, I would ask Bob what recipe he used for the 80W Costo in his "Heavy Iron Beam Shots" thread. I know it uses a Fatboy but I don't know which ballast he used. Either the Ti Mega or blitz have a beam that's about twice as tight as the VT so I think you'd really enjoy it.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=224136

My Costco uses one of the upgrade 75 watt ballasts that I bought from Xeray when he offered one ballast for each 50 Watt Xeray owned. I had three at the time and bought 3.

As far as the bulbs go, for some reason, I have not been able to remember what base is what number. The bulb in the Blitz was modified by removing the metal flange from the front of the ceramic material. The ceramic itself, was not modded. I hand-machined two plastic bushings to fit into each other and into the bore of the Blitz and tightly around the ceramic base. The result was a nice tight, hand-pressed fit.

The bulb in my Costco is the Fatboy. IIRC, no mods needed. I believe I shimmed it out a bit.

Below are 3 pics of the H4 (?) bulb used in the Blitz. There was a large metal flange on the nose of it that I removed. Fourth pic is of the Fatboy with it's P32d base. Flash, if you need a Fatboy for your TiMega mod, let me know. That is the bulb to use. No need for the H4. I will sell you one as soon as I get my stock.

Last edited by BVH; 07-04-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Patriot did any of your neighbors com outside or take a look at the "huge amount of light being produced on the street"?

No flash, I tend to do those types of shots later in the evening to minimize my exposure. One lady was walking her dog but just said hello. Additionally I try to only leave the light on as long as necessary to get the shot, then I quickly shut the light off. It is a concern because that tower is actually directly behind the last house at the end of the street. I don't now if you can see that the street curves deeply to the left but because of that when I light up the tower it acts as a huge reflector right into their back yard.

Awesome beamshots Patriot! BVH's HID Blitz is unbelievable. Its beam is so tightly collimated that it almost resembles a short arc light.

Awesome beamshots!

Thats a good name for the Blitz!.... that beamshot is worth mounting as a screensaver!
    Prev- Xeray BB 75W HID, Acro 990X, JET-I PRO, M1X LED,Oracle 35W HID , P1D Q5, L35-35 watt HID, Zebralight H30, H31W. & H60W LED, Quark MiNi 123, Quark MiNi 123 TI, Fenix PD 10 ti, DEFT LED-35/80W HID Mule, OLIGHT-SR90-2200L LED, 1.9watt blue laser, FFIII HID, Nitecore TM26

Quote Originally Posted by windstrings View Post
    Thats a good name for the Blitz!.... that beamshot is worth mounting as a screensaver!

....um, you mean "light cannon?" I was going to call it the BVH light cannon but remembered that UK took that name a long time ago.

BVH Blitz will have to do unless I can think of something better.

also, remember that LarryK developed this style of light. I simply copied the shell and installed my components.

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    also, remember that LarryK developed this style of light. I simply copied the shell and installed my components.

Oh really? I didn't even know that Bob. I thought it was a JetSkiMark idea originally. I never even realized LarryK made one in this style.

Live and learn.
    Last edited by Patriot; 07-16-2009 at 06:10 PM.

JetSkiMark made the very first one using a very small plastic Pelican waterproof case as the battery box for his 360 Watt (or was it 400 Watt?) incandescent Blitz. LarryK has a thread on here somewhere showing his. He's where I got the line on the Radio Shack project box as the battery & ballast box.
    Last edited by BVH; 07-16-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Just wanted to give the HID folks a fair chance and mention that I'm "passing on the torch" so to speak. This Blitz mod is up for sale in the Customs and mods section.
    Last edited by Patriot; 11-12-2009 at 12:48 PM.