84W Blitz comparison

Patriot

Flashaholic
A while back I purchased BVH's 84W HID Blitz and he's been asking me for months to take a couple of beam shots at long range.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/221118

It may be a while before I make it out for 600-800 yard beam shots but I've got a convenient power line tower positioned to the west of my driveway at 330+ yards depending on where I stand. Tonight it was about 335 yards.

This was just a quick toss 'em on the table, toss 'em on the tripod comparison but I figured the PH-50 is always a fun light and since the K3500R has been in a few recent threads I thought I'd use it also.

The Lights:

84W Blitz HID mod by BVH, PH-50, Microfire K3500R
84WBlitz001.jpg

Control (wide)
84WBlitz006.jpg

K3500R
84WBlitz003.jpg

PH-50
84WBlitz004.jpg

84W Blitz Mod from BVH
84WBlitz005.jpg

Control (zoomed)
84WBlitz010.jpg

K3500R
84WBlitz007.jpg

PH-50
84WBlitz008.jpg

84W Blitz Mod From BVH
84WBlitz009.jpg

The 84W Blitz is a literal light cannon and almost expected I guess. What blows my mind is the difference between the K3500R and the PH-50. The K3500R is no slouch imo.

Enjoy the fresh beamies. I haven't seen many posted in the HID section for a while. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow the 84W Blitz is a beast! I never knew it was so large. What diameter is the reflector on that thing:thinking:? I wonder what throws farther that, or the Databank 70?…….

Thanks for the beam shoots:thumbsup:, just one more to add in order to help with my collective picture of how lights stack up to one another;).

Patriot

Flashaholic
The reflector is 9.5"

70 P4s driven at nominal voltage would be about 12,600 emitter lumens. The 84W Blitz mod is around 9500 lumens. That said, I doubt the P4's would have any throw advantage over a the Blitz's single point source of light and large reflector. Actually, I believe it would fall well short of the Blitz in that area.

Btw, these beam shots are almost perfectly exposed to match what the eye see's. If anything, I'd say they're maybe a half stop under exposed judging from the K3500.

Joe_torch

Newly Enlightened
Very nice beam shoots & thanks for sharing!:twothumbs

Another good example to show how the PH50 illuminate distant object & still provide you much lateral vision!

The 84W Blitz is really amazing! How long can it run? I'm expecting to see the longer range beam shots.

Joe

BVH

Flashaholic
Thanks Paul! The Blitz sure has a very tight beam and hotspot. More than I realized. Makes me want to go out and put mine together. Just waiting on some parts from Lips.

Now for the 500 and 1000 Yard shots!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Sure Bob and it was fun to finally take some quick shots even if the location wasn't perfect. As you can tell, there is a whole bunch of ambient light on my street. Not only are there three prominent metal halide street lights, many people have their porch and garage lights on too.

Your 84W HID Blitz mod does have an amazingly tight beam which I estimate at less than 3 degrees angle when comparing to other lights. Even the Costco doesn't seem to be as tight or have nearly as nicely shaped beam.

I feel fortunate that you actually let this thing out of captivity so that I could be enjoying it. You really out did yourself. :)

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Another good example to show how the PH50 illuminate distant object & still provide you much lateral vision!

Yes, considering the size of the reflector, the PH-50 is some kind of bizarre superlight. It manages some impressive throw while still mixing abundant lumens into its large corona. Other than a slight electrode wire shadow, the corona is nearly flawless and even. There are enough lumens in the corona to light power lines (the thin lines themselves) at over 500 yards to the naked eye.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2460657&postcount=81

JoeTorch
The 84W Blitz is really amazing! How long can it run? I'm expecting to see the longer range beam shots.
The run-time is probably the second best thing about this light. It uses a 6400mah Li-po battery that doesn't ever get hot. Although I've never done a full run-time test, since I know the actual output and battery capacity it should run for very close to an hour at 84W or about 2.5 hours at the 35W setting.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a really nice set of beamshots. The Blitz is definitely a monster. I really need to find a ~10K lumen light for my collection..

I'm actually impressed the most by the PH50 from those three shots though.

Parker VH

Enlightened
Hey Patriot,
Thanks for the great beamshots, unbelievable:D What settings did you use on your camera for these beamshots?

Patriot

Flashaholic
You're welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Settings were 8" F4.0 ISO/50 WB/Daylight

Joe_torch

Newly Enlightened
The run-time is probably the second best thing about this light. It uses a 6400mah Li-po battery that doesn't never gets hot. Although I've never done a full run-time test, since I know the actual output and battery capacity it should run for very close to an hour at 84W or about 2.5 hours at the 35W setting.
Thanks for the information, Paul. Although it does look like huge, it isn't weight that heavy. Perhaps the relatviely light weight is the third beautiful of the 84W Blitz.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Not that I'd be back packing it around but the weight is very nice. It's 1/2 the weight of the Costco HID and just 2 lbs heavier than the Polarion.

Patriot

Flashaholic
gosh...this sure makes the hyperblitz look like hypoblitz:duh2:

lol....well, I'm not so sure about that. Mark's Hyperblitz is double the lumens of this light so in that regard the BVH Blitz mod comes up short. If we just consider max lux or throw, this light probably has the advantage and throws a brighter more narrow hot spot.

The closest illustration that I'm able to find is in the 2008 Shootout Thread.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199730

There, an "80W" (not sure if this it verified or not) Costco is seen directly in the next frame with the HyperBlitz. As you can see, the 80W Costco is a little bit brighter on the power line tower itself. If I take into account that the BVH Blitz mod has both a slightly larger and better reflector than the Costo and has also been verified at a true 84W, then it should have a distint throw advantage over both the 80W Costo and Hyperblitz.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks Bob, I figured someone would know. Come to think of it, that's one of your creations too, correct?

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Patriot.

Had some questions in regards to the Blitz84 maybe you could answer?

Is that bulb a H4 or H7?
If it is a H4, do you think one would fit in my Ti-Mega for a super throw beam?
What colour temp is the bulb?

You stated 9000+Lumens? WOW

I need this power for my Ti-Mega

Patriot

Flashaholic
This looks to be an H7 type bulb but BVH would have to verify that. The base was modded to fit the blitz. The color temperature on low is about 4600-4800K and on high it's about 4200K

Hey, if you're going to do something with the Ti Mega, I would ask Bob what recipe he used for the 80W Costo in his "Heavy Iron Beam Shots" thread. I know it uses a Fatboy but I don't know which ballast he used. Either the Ti Mega or blitz have a beam that's about twice as tight as the VT so I think you'd really enjoy it.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/224136

BVH

Flashaholic
My Costco uses one of the upgrade 75 watt ballasts that I bought from Xeray when he offered one ballast for each 50 Watt Xeray owned. I had three at the time and bought 3.

As far as the bulbs go, for some reason, I have not been able to remember what base is what number. The bulb in the Blitz was modified by removing the metal flange from the front of the ceramic material. The ceramic itself, was not modded. I hand-machined two plastic bushings to fit into each other and into the bore of the Blitz and tightly around the ceramic base. The result was a nice tight, hand-pressed fit.

The bulb in my Costco is the Fatboy. IIRC, no mods needed. I believe I shimmed it out a bit.

Below are 3 pics of the H4 (?) bulb used in the Blitz. There was a large metal flange on the nose of it that I removed. Fourth pic is of the Fatboy with it's P32d base. Flash, if you need a Fatboy for your TiMega mod, let me know. That is the bulb to use. No need for the H4. I will sell you one as soon as I get my stock.

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

fatboy4.jpg

Last edited: