Bezel seal design

MrNaz

Enlightened
I am designing the bezel on my dive light project, and would like to know if my seal design is sound. Here is my diagram:

seal_design.jpg

The o-rings I plan to use are the AS-568-035 ones, a standard and easily obtainable size. I am using them here for a compression seal.

Also, are the dimensions indicated for bezel (esp the 1mm for the height of the crown) reasonable?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Looks McGizmo'ish and he dives a bit with his lights but he won't call them dive lights. I have no clue how far down he goes either.

Are you going to put some sort of o-ring retaining lip in the bezel? A depression or detent of some sort might help. The o-ring next to the threads might need to be a bit fatter/thicker too. I would feel better if there was an o-ring before the threads start too.

Oh it's also worth saying that I have no clue what I'm talking about. :D

MrNaz

Enlightened
Looks McGizmo'ish and he dives a bit with his lights but he won't call them dive lights. I have no clue how far down he goes either.

Glad my design looks like a pro's :crackup:

Are you going to put some sort of o-ring retaining lip in the bezel? A depression or detent of some sort might help. The o-ring next to the threads might need to be a bit fatter/thicker too. I would feel better if there was an o-ring before the threads start too.

The o-ring does not have a retaining groove because its outer diameter is slightly larger (0.43mm) than the cavity it fits in. This is good, as it means there will be absolutely no movement, and it will be seated right on the edge of the glass.

Adding an o-ring before the threads seems unnecessary to me, as the compression seal is (i think?) more reliable than a rubbing seal. Could a veteran please chime in and confirm this or am I totally making things up? Is a rubbing seal good to have as well?

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
G
Adding an o-ring before the threads seems unnecessary to me, as the compression seal is (i think?) more reliable than a rubbing seal. Could a veteran please chime in and confirm this or am I totally making things up? Is a rubbing seal good to have as well?

2 O rings are better than one!