Foxfury Rook
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Surefire LX2 Pics, Beamshots & Info

Default Re: Surefire LX2 Pics, Beamshots & Info

Well, comparing two similar output lights won't ever make your jaw drop. No matter how much you spend.

As for output, the LX2 has a larger 'spot' than other TIR Surefire's like the E2DL, which I find is better as you have a larger area lit up.

The TIR is designed to throw the majority of the light forward hence why the drop in, using a reflector has a greater amount of spill.
    Also, because the hotspot of the drop focuses it's light into a smaller area, it will definitely be 'brighter' than the LX2.

The same thing can be said about any light using a TIR, my Malkoffs have the same outcome compared to my Fenix TK11 etc etc

Last edited by DimeRazorback; 12-12-2009 at 06:22 PM.

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Hi guys,

I've been using my LX2 for about 4 months now and i couldn't be more happy with it! It's perfect!
    But yesterday i noticed a small "flaw" while using it to light a path when i took a night walk with my girlfriend. It was very coold night (under 0 degrees Celzius). I put my handgloves on, and after a few minutes it happened: It was on constant low(tailcap twisted) and i tried to change position of a flashlight in my hand to a "tactical" hold. My gloves are made from warm polyester. Light almost slipped from my hands, i tried to catch it, but i made things even worse: Somehow i managed to even hit it to the ground. There was a long, loud clap onto the asphalt. I tought i beat the crap out of it: My girlfriend took her LedLenser K3 from her pocket and we inspected my wounded LX2: To our suprise (and my huuuge relief) LX2 had only one very small hollow but annodizing remained intact! My nitecore didn't survive it's first fall with so few consequences. Great job Surefire, for such a strong anno!
    So, now it's finally baptise, and i finally have one "complaint" about this light: it's slippery in synthetic gloves(polyester and so on). I wonder how it works with leather gloves.

Lesson learned: Lanyard might be sometimes useful but nevertheless, LX2 has very pleasant finnish, i find it superior to any knurled light. It slips into your pocket very nice, and has very good grip even in wet hands. just be careful while using it wearing a gloves, you might have some unexpected workout trying to catch it

Why weren't you using the supplied lanyard?

Quote Originally Posted by Size15's View Post
    I think this is where SureFire's diversity of product design really shines because there exact opposite is the case for me! Is it the clickie that you like? Or actually the crenellated bezel?
    (I find both annoying )

BTW, for clarity and to avoid confusion it is better to refer to the likes of the E2DL by it's model number rather than name: "E2DL" rather than "E2D LED Defender". This way there is no doubt which product is being referred to.
    (6PL, G2ZL, 6PDL etc are all specific and definite descriptions)
    It can get confusing, especially when SF carry out 'stealth upgrades' to lights, either by using newer LEDs, or some other trickery to increase the output.

I have just bought an E2D LED Defender, current version (5/200 lumen), and I love this light more than I have any other light for a long time. The option to have a long running useful low, with a punchy high, tight beam is really working for me right now.

This light goes everywhere with me, night and day at the moment, but I think I'll look around for a belt pouch, as I don't personally like lights clipped in pockets for my purposes.

I didn't buy it for the strike bezel ergonomics, but I find the crenelated tailcap great for tailstanding, and I like the clicky tailcap (I was considering the LX2, but there were enough features on the E2DL to win me over.

Apart from the serial number (and of course, this is only the number of the body tube, not the LED or electronics version in the head), there doesn't seem any way of identifying the model spec of some SF lights.

I have an L1 also, the one with 1.1/22 lumen output, from the 2006 product year, I think - Luxeon, instead of Cree. I greatly prefer the low output, long runtime of the older L1, and see that as it's main advantage.

Finally, I wish that SF would include the F04 diffuser with all its small TIR lights, I have not yet used one that didn't benefit from the diffuser, when indoors, under normal conditions. I actually added such comments, when I registered the warranty online, adding that a flip up diffuser would be even better (the rubber F04 on the E2DL makes it less 'sharp and scary' as well as preventing pocket snagging).
    Last edited by RAF_Groundcrew; 12-13-2009 at 04:38 AM. Reason: spelling
    Do something, or do nothing, but do it quickly, there's a line forming !!

Quote Originally Posted by Size15's View Post
    Why weren't you using the supplied lanyard?
    Sometimes you just have to live life on the edge.

Regards,
    Tempest
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Currently looking for: SureFire E1W - PM with offers

I am having a really tough time deciding if I should order this light or not. I just bought a E2DL and a E1B, I love them both but really want to carry the E2DL clipped to pocket but just really don't like bezel up and rough edges so I am thinking the LX2 could be solution to my problem what do you think? If I read a earlier post correctly did I read the LX2 has a larger hotspot then the E2DL, if so how about spill also? After carrying around these Surefires the past couple days I am having a tough time EDC a different brand they just feel so much more solid or fulfilling, what have I stared.
    My flashlight collection HERE

Quote Originally Posted by jhc37013 View Post
    If I read a earlier post correctly did I read the LX2 has a larger hotspot then the E2DL, if so how about spill also?
    That I'm aware of, SureFire are using their same TIR optic for the E1L, E1B, E2L, E2DL, LX2, M600C, X300 etc.
    Beams vary from individual light to individual light due to how SureFire focus each individual optic with each individual LED when each bezel is assembled.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jhc37013 View Post
    I am having a really tough time deciding if I should order this light or not. I just bought a E2DL and a E1B, I love them both but really want to carry the E2DL clipped to pocket but just really don't like bezel up and rough edges so I am thinking the LX2 could be solution to my problem what do you think? If I read a earlier post correctly did I read the LX2 has a larger hotspot then the E2DL, if so how about spill also? After carrying around these Surefires the past couple days I am having a tough time EDC a different brand they just feel so much more solid or fulfilling, what have I stared.
    Check out this thread for outdoor beamshots of both LX2 and E2DL.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=236064

Quote Originally Posted by THE_dAY View Post
    Check out this thread for outdoor beamshots of both LX2 and E2DL.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=236064
    Thanks for the link I ordered a LX2, couldn't stop myself.
    My flashlight collection HERE

Great review and pictures but I don't think this light is that good after all. Only runs for two hours on expensive CR123A batteries that you can't get in supermarkets (not in AUS anyway). A Nitecore EZ123 gives 180 lumens of fully regulated light for a little bit under an hour for only 1 CR123A, but the Surefire only gives 200 from 2.

Also Surefire advertises this light as for "tactical" use but in reality if I were a cop on a night patrol and this guy with a gun springs out of the bushes, I'd want a light with more "spill" light and a strobe mode to disorient the guy.

So I think it's good for camping or walking around the house but not for the purpose Surefire advertises it for.

Quote Originally Posted by garden View Post
    guy with a gun springs out of the bushes, I'd want a light with more "spill" light and a strobe mode to disorient the guy.

Nothing personal, but I think its easier said than done. '

If you see someone with a gun pointed towards you, you grab your firearm, not click a light 5 times before you get to strobe

I do agree with you on the "tactical" aspect. Surefire does tend to make everything tacticool(example: pen)
    Last edited by Cosmo7809; 12-28-2009 at 08:52 AM.
    Its better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

If you see someone with a gun pointed towards you, you grab your firearm, not click a light 5 times before you get to strobe
    Don't forget to tighten the head first. Then click 5 times.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by garden View Post
    Only runs for two hours on expensive CR123A batteries that you can't get in supermarkets (not in AUS anyway). A Nitecore EZ123 gives 180 lumens of fully regulated light for a little bit under an hour for only 1 CR123A, but the Surefire only gives 200 from 2.
    To this point, it's worth mentioning that NiteCore and Surefire are rating their lumens pretty differently (i.e. fairly conservative Out-The-Front output for Surefire versus probably less conservative Emitter output for Nitecore). Generally speaking, it's not necessarily that easy to simply compare lumens numbers from different manufacturers since there are so many variables in their measurement.

Plus, the point you've made is basically that the EZ123, with half the batteries of the LX2, puts out similar output for about half the runtime. This doesn't really give any kind of edge to the EZ123... half the batteries, half the energy stored, half the runtime @ similar output. You seem to be implying that the LX2 is doing poorly here, but these numbers just show that these two lights are running at a similar efficiency (with the LX2 being slightly more efficient - slightly more light, slightly more than double the runtime on double the batteries).
    Last edited by PeaceOfMind; 01-11-2010 at 08:34 PM.

As I just discovered when garden decided to trash my thread on my L1.

He doesn't like Surefire...

Troll??

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by DimeRazorback View Post
    As I just discovered when garden decided to trash my thread on my L1.

He doesn't like Surefire...

Troll??
    Sounds more like a closed minded person who doesn't like any other brand (I see he likes Fenix)

Anyways I keep hearing a LX2 calling my name but somehow keep coming home with different lights and still no LX2 yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jp2515 View Post
    Anyways I keep hearing a LX2 calling my name but somehow keep coming home with different lights and still no LX2 yet.
    And that last word is the most important!

You don't know what your missing until you have one

It's OK...
    Some people are like this. They just need to be bashed over the head with facts until they "get it" or get fed up and go back to DX forums.

The LX2 is a sweet light, every bit worth the purchase price. jp2515 ya gotta prioritize! The third good light I ever bought was the Surefire A2, because I wanted it so badly.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Hello all,

is there anyone that disassembled the Head of the Surefire LX2?

I would like to clean with a soft-smooth coat the back of the head but i cannot reach it deeper.

It would be interesting if someone has done it already for all our info.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by astanapane View Post
    Hello all,

is there anyone that disassembled the Head of the Surefire LX2?

I would like to clean with a soft-smooth coat the back of the head but i cannot reach it deeper.

It would be interesting if someone has done it already for all our info.

Thanks.
    Do it may be you lost warranty service of SF.

Just wanted to add that I picked up a "newer" LX2 and it is brighter than the first LX2 I had when I originally did this review. My first LX2 seemed to put out about ~205 or so lumens on high and ~15 lumens on low. My "newer" LX2 seems to put out closer to 250 lumens on high and 35 lumens on low! Just what I wanted. I like the 35 lumen low because it's bright enough for most all tasks with a very long run time, especially with the rechargeable batteries Surefire now offers. Also, the current draw is lower on the newer version.
    Last edited by Sean; 06-03-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Just wanted to add that I picked up a "newer" LX2 and it is brighter than the first LX2 I had when I originally did this review. My first LX2 seemed to put out about ~205 or so lumens on high and ~15 lumens on low. My "newer" LX2 seems to put out closer to 250 lumens on high and 35 lumens on low! Just what I wanted. I like the 35 lumen low because it's bright enough for most all tasks with a very long run time, especially with the rechargeable batteries Surefire now offers. Also, the current draw is lower on the newer version.
    This is interesting. Are you comparing the ligths side by side? Why did you buy a new lx2? Did you sell your old one?

Quote Originally Posted by FPSRelic View Post
    This is interesting. Are you comparing the ligths side by side? Why did you buy a new lx2? Did you sell your old one?
    I sold my old one awhile ago. I bought another one recently, got a real good deal on it and was missing my LX2. I could just hold out on the new LX2's coming out later this year but will they be worth the price tag compared to what a used LX2 goes for? I have a light meter set up to compare light output and the newer LX2 on low is easily double the output. Apparently, Surefire is using newer more efficient led's without changing the electronics.

Flashaholic

I sold my old one awhile ago. I bought another one recently, got a real good deal on it and was missing my LX2. I could just hold out on the new LX2's coming out later this year but will they be worth the price tag compared to what a used LX2 goes for? I have a light meter set up to compare light output and the newer LX2 on low is easily double the output. Apparently, Surefire is using newer more efficient led's without changing the electronics.
    Very interesting. I wonder when they made the change to the newer led's?

Very interesting. I wonder when they made the change to the newer led's?
    I would guess they made the change because more efficient LEDs are available. Why wouldn't they make the change? The light is 3 years old, so it's no surprise leds have improved in that time.

Flashaholic

I would guess they made the change because more efficient LEDs are available. Why wouldn't they make the change? The light is 3 years old, so it's no surprise leds have improved in that time.
    Yeah I was thinking more of when not why. As in, aside from using a light meter, how would you know an lx2 is using one of the newer emitters.

Yeah I was thinking more of when not why. As in, aside from using a light meter, how would you know an lx2 is using one of the newer emitters.
    I don't know how you would know. Unless you compare them side by side.

Flashaholic

May I ask what the serial number (or range) is on your brighter LX2?

I know the packaging has changed the stated runtime on low from 45 hours to 30 or there about. Maybe this coincides with an emitter update?
    Last edited by Slumber Pass; 06-04-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    May I ask what the serial number (or range) is on your brighter LX2?

I know the packaging has changed the stated runtime on low from 45 hours to 30 or there about. Maybe this coincides with an emitter update?
    I didn't know the stated runtime on the packaging changed. My newer LX2 serial number is in the A47,xxx range. My first LX2 serial # was less than 1,000.

Flashaholic

I didn't know the stated runtime on the packaging changed. My newer LX2 serial number is in the A47,xxx range. My first LX2 serial # was less than 1,000.
    Thanks. Whats the stated low runtime on your box?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?328690-Surefire-LX2-Lumamax-runtime-change
    Last edited by Slumber Pass; 06-05-2012 at 10:37 AM.

I bought it used and it didn't come with a box.