LA Police Gear
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Surefire LX2 Pics, Beamshots & Info

Default Re: Surefire LX2 Pics, Beamshots & Info

LX2 it can use with RCR123 (4.2V) ?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by prime77 View Post
    Judging from the pics and what some of the members that have got the LX2 have said the build quality looks great. It doesn't have the front contact section in the battery tube because the electronics have been moved from the battery tube to the head. Also as for the isolating internal tube lining Surefire has changed how they coat the inside of their lights from the brass color lining to a clear one.
    Still there is no longer that internal tube, I'm not saying that the there is a different color coat or anything. Take a look at the L1 with Cree LED. The internal sleeve is still there, even though it's silver in color.

Has SureFire possibly adjusted their lumen rating methodology? The LX2 is rated at 200 lumens vs. 120 lumens for the E2DL. This is approximately a 70% increase in stated brightness over the E2DL. I would think this would be more noticeable than it is in the beamshots. This, in combination with testimonials from other LX2+E2DL owners stating both lights have close to the same output, makes me think that SF has somewhat adjusted their approach to rating lumens in their lights (or at least with the LX2).

When I first saw that they were releasing a 200 lumen LED light, I thought that it must be a multi-die LED like an MCE or P7 based on SF's extremely conservative lumen ratings. I was surprised to find that it was a single-die Cree.

I completely agree that the LX2 is rated very accurately at 200 lumens, but it seems like SF has modified their approach somewhat. I just have a hard time believing this light is a full 3 times brighter than my L1 Cree, rated at 65 lumens on high. BTW - does anyone have both and can compare the two?

Perhaps their overall approach to estimates has changed?
    They have also changed the runtime stats on the P60L in the G3L-FYL.

They seem to be no longer overstating runtime or understating output. I like it and hope this carries over to all their product line.
    It will be refreshing to simply read the stats and be able to use them without any further calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Has SureFire possibly adjusted their lumen rating methodology? The LX2 is rated at 200 lumens vs. 120 lumens for the E2DL. This is approximately a 70% increase in stated brightness over the E2DL. I would think this would be more noticeable than it is in the beamshots. This, in combination with testimonials from other LX2+E2DL owners stating both lights have close to the same output, makes me think that SF has somewhat adjusted their approach to rating lumens in their lights (or at least with the LX2).

When I first saw that they were releasing a 200 lumen LED light, I thought that it must be a multi-die LED like an MCE or P7 based on SF's extremely conservative lumen ratings. I was surprised to find that it was a single-die Cree.
    I think the reason they did this is simple. They were understating their output enough on the E2DL that people complained that Surefire was behind the times and other manufacturers like Fenix and everyone else had Cree XR-E powered lights that were being rated in the 200+ lumen range. So they did the smart thing and released a light rated in the 200 lumen range that actually puts out 200+ lumens. The E2DL was underrated a bit and I think most of them fell in the 150-180 range. I only know of one to have been tested to put out ~210 lumens (MrGman's). So now, with the LX2 you get a light that is as bright as MrGman's E2DL, without having to play the lottery to get one. IMHO.

I just have a hard time believing this light is a full 3 times brighter than my L1 Cree, rated at 65 lumens on high. BTW - does anyone have both and can compare the two?
    I had an L1 a few months ago and it put out about 74 lumens on high. I also had an E2L two stage that was rated at 60 lumens on high but mine put out about 85 lumens. You can't see the difference between the L1 and E2L, but you certainly tell a difference between the L1 and the LX2. Remember, the way your eyes percieve brightness the light must be 4x brighter for it to look 2x brighter.
    Last edited by Sean; 06-30-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Very nice review!

But it seems to me the LX2 is not brighter than the E2DL, right?

Quote Originally Posted by toby_pra View Post
    Very nice review!

But it seems to me the LX2 is not brighter than the E2DL, right?
    Well, as I said in my review: "My tests show the LX2 is brighter than my E2DL and Fenix T1."
    I would say my E2DL was about ~165-170 lumens and my LX2 is about ~200-205 lumens. Unfortunately, The E2DL picture I posted was taken on a different day than the LX2 picture, so it's possible that the reason it doesn't look brighter is just me messing up something or some other problem.

Here are some nice shots taken by Prime77 comparing his E2DL and LX2:

Last edited by Sean; 07-01-2009 at 05:14 AM.

Now its clear to me...

Many thanks!

Nice review

I noticed the warning "caution hot surface" does it really get that hot? or is this just a standard thing with Surefire?
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have
    their shoes.

Ive never owned an L2, so im not sure if its like this too, but does this mean that with the Lx1 the circuitry might be in the head also? meaning, the head is no longer a "dumb" head?

and does the tail lego with the older L series lights? (if you have any)

Crenshaw

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN1833 View Post
    Nice review

I noticed the warning "caution hot surface" does it really get that hot? or is this just a standard thing with Surefire?
    back in the says of Luxeon Vs yeah it gets hot...dunno how hard these are driven though. One thing is for sure, putting these labels on the E2L/E1L is a bit over exaggerating

The LX2 does look brighter than the E2DL. Thanks for the beamshots, I think I might buy one.
    SureFire E2DL | LX2 | E1B

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    Ive never owned an L2, so im not sure if its like this too, but does this mean that with the Lx1 the circuitry might be in the head also? meaning, the head is no longer a "dumb" head?

and does the tail lego with the older L series lights? (if you have any)

Crenshaw
    Right it is no longer dumb. The tail is compatible with others like the L series and the A2.

Flashaholic*

Would I be right in thinking that if you twist it once for constant on at 15 Lumens you can still get full power instantly by mashing the button down ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
    Would I be right in thinking that if you twist it once for constant on at 15 Lumens you can still get full power instantly by mashing the button down ?
    That is correct.
    You can also mash the button when the light is off to go directly to full power.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
    That is correct, beautiful UI no?

-Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Here are some nice shots taken by Prime77 comparing his E2DL and LX2
    Good outdoor shots, the tint looks to be better as well. Can others who own both lights confirm this with theirs, or is it just the lottery at work again?
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Got mine about half an hour ago. It is definetely visually brighter than my E2DL. Not only is it brighter, the hotspot is perfectly round.
    I had to try several E2DL's before I found one with a somewhat round hotspot.

My only gripe is a few little markings on the light. There are no nicks, dings or scratches, but there are a few tiny spots where there is no anno.
    Maybe rub marks?

Other than that, I've very pleased with it. I would have prefered a minty one, but I guess this one will be a user for me.

One more note, I was expecting a very crappy clip after reading a few comments made on them. I actually like the clip

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    That is correct.
    You can also mash the button when the light is off to go directly to full power.

Sweet, I wasn't sure how the UI worked. I love button mashing, Can't wait for mine to show in the mail.

Maybe they didn't change their lumen rating methodology at all.

Maybe the supply of higher binned LEDs has increased to point that they can reasonably guarantee a minimum of 200 lumens. Maybe they'll bump the specs of the E2DL and their other XR-E-based lights at some point as well.

Flashaholic

I'd like to wait until the LX1 comes out, and see how it specs out. I am thinking of getting an E1b to replace my old style L2, but might opt for the LX1 instead.
    6P, 712-L headlamp, TM-310H, Fenix L1P and L1DCE, RR 4AA lantern, Krill green 180, Huntlight FT02xj, Bear Cub, 3 MAGled 2D's, E+Lite, Zipka, Novatac 85T.

Flashaholic

Sean great review and pics,mind me asking how much you paid and where you bought?

Thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by gswitter View Post
    Maybe they didn't change their lumen rating methodology at all.

Maybe the supply of higher binned LEDs has increased to point that they can reasonably guarantee a minimum of 200 lumens. Maybe they'll bump the specs of the E2DL and their other XR-E-based lights at some point as well.
    That very well could be based on the additional information. The LX2 is definitely exceeding 200 lumens for sure. I do hope they adjust the ratings of other similar lights to be closer to actual output. The main reason I thought they changed their rating methodology was the beamshots comparing the 120 lumen E2DL and the 200 lumen LX2. The output looks virtually identical in the shots, but Sean clarified that the E2DL beamshot was taken on a different day or it could have been another issue that made them appear equal. He confirmed that the LX2 is definitely brighter in real life. The shots taken by Prime77 make it very easy to see that the LX2 is much brighter - thus the higher lumen rating.

Flashaholic*

is it too soon for some runtime tests/graphs?
    -- CUE

Flashaholic*

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moonshadow

That is correct.
    That is correct, beautiful UI no?
    Brilliant - that's exactly what I want. Thanks guys.

Wonder how long till can we get these in the UK ?? . . . .

Great review !

Amazing Surefire once again.
    Flashlight collection: Ra, Novatac, Surefire, WolfEyes, Inova, Olight, EagleTac, Dereelight, Tiablo, Fenix, Nitecore, Lumapower, JetBeam, Zebralight, Thrunite, Sunwayled

This one sounds like the perfect 2-cell light. perfect. And you can swap E-Series heads, too. Even more perfect.
    Now if only the post office would be somewhat quicker ...
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    This one sounds like the perfect 2-cell light. perfect.
    Sorry sir, but this is the first time I'm disagreeing with you: The LX2 would be perfect if the body could take 1x17670 - the ID is apparently too small.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

That's cool, actually. No rattle with CR123 cells then. Cells for real men

But I do feel for you Li-Ion guys. Really. Think of it this way ... SF being one of the last refugee camps for primary guys.

bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Sorry sir, but this is the first time I'm disagreeing with you: The LX2 would be perfect if the body could take 1x17670 - the ID is apparently too small.
    there's always the 14670

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast