Surefire LX2 Pics, Beamshots & Info

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire LX2 Review, Pics, Beamshots & Info

UPDATE:
Just wanted to add that I picked up a "newer" LX2 (in 2012) and it is brighter than the first LX2 I had when I originally did this review. My first LX2 seemed to put out about ~205 or so lumens on high and ~15 lumens on low. My "newer" LX2 seems to put out closer to ~250 lumens on high and 35 lumens on low! Just what I wanted. :) I like the 35 lumen low because it's bright enough for most all tasks with a very long run time, especially with the rechargeable batteries Surefire now offers. Also, the current draw is less on high with the new one.

Surefire LX2 LUMAMAX:

FEATURES

• Virtually indestructible LED regulated to maximize output and runtime
  • Two-stage tailcap switch provides instant access to one of two levels of light output: 15 lumens or 200 lumens
  • Press for low, press harder for high. Twist for constant on
  • TIR lens produces tight beam with enough surround light for peripheral vision
  • Corrosion-proof, scratch-resistant aluminum body is hard anodized
  • O-ring and gasket sealed so it's waterproof to one meter for up to 30 minutes
  • 4.2 oz and 5.4" long and uses 2 CR123A batteries
Pros: Comes in a box with a lanyard and instruction sheet. This is a nice upgrade from their other packaging because now you can actually get it out of the package. Fit and finish are good. Size is nice and small for easy use and pocket carry. The fluting instead of knurling works well and makes it easier to slide in and out of your pocket. It's much shorter than it's predocessor (the L2). Bezel up/down clip is very nice, finally making pocket carry of a two cell Surefire practical. It looks as if the clip can be placed on an E2e body & vice versa but I couldn't easily remove the clip so I gave up. TIR lens gives a great amount of punch without being too tight. The TIR does what other lights need a larger reflector to do. Standard 1" bezel accepts E series filters and the F04 beam diffuser. Two stage tailcap UI is easy to use and even pressing all the way for high is not as hard as my L1 was. Electronics are in the head, there is nothing in the body at all so the LX2 head works on an E2e body (though only in high mode). Removable lanyard attachment ring. The nice thing about his light is that is actually comes with a lanyard!

Cons:
A bit pricey. Slight anodizing mismatch, although this is normal sometimes it actually matches. Some may not like the TIR or it's lack of Li-ion support. Run-time (2 hours on high) is average for this brightness level, but I would like it to be even longer. I'm sure it's more like 90 minutes on high. When you twist for constant on the tailcap is rubbing against the clip. It's not real bad because there is no knurling but it could wear the HA down over time.

Overall:
This light is a very good balance of long running low output and very bright output with great throw when you need it. The beam is like the E2DL and other new style TIR optic equipped Surefires. I personally like the 15 lumen low. I would even like it a bit brighter. Tint is great on my LX2, much better than most of the other Surefires I have had recently. Not harsh blue or green. My tests show the LX2 is brighter than my E2DL and Fenix T1. I estimate low to be right on 15 lumens and high to be right at 200 lumens (give or take ~10 lumens). I have a very hard time estimating lumens in excess of 115 with the "equipment" I have. The best I can do is give an estimate based on range. The range of my LX2 on high is between 190 & 228 lumens. By comparison, the range of my Fenix TK40 on high (not turbo) is between 227 and 273. So it looks like my LX2 is slightly over 200 lumens.

Run time test @ ~200 lumens. Light held to keep cool. 2 hours & 2 minutes to 50% (Panasonic CR123A exp: 2018):
(hours) : (minutes)-(light output)
00:00-135
01:00-135
01:20-135
01:23-135
01:24-134
01:25-133 (light drops out of regulation)
01:30-127
01:35-122
01:40-118
01:45-112
01:50-100
01:55-87
02:00-72
02:01-69
02:02-66 (~50% output @ 2 hours & 2 minutes)
02:03-63
02:04-60
02:05-57 (ended test)

Pics:
lx2whitef.jpg

boxtop.jpg

boxside.jpg

boxback2.jpg

boxinsert.jpg

boxopen.jpg

lx2sideb.jpg

lx2rear.jpg

lx2othersidec.jpg

lx2ledc.jpg

lx2apartb.jpg

lx2insideb.jpg

lx2e2lsidec.jpg

lx2tk40.jpg

The LX2 head fits on the E2e body and can power the LX2 head on high only:
lx2headone2e.jpg

E series filters fit on the LX2 head:
lx2f04.jpg

This is how much contact the clip makes with the tailcap:
dsc8947a.jpg

dsc8947b.jpg

LX2 beam profile on high:
lx2beamhi.jpg

LX2 on low and a Surefire E2L (45 lumen version) on the right:
lx2lowkx2a.jpg

LX2 on high and a Surefire E2L (45 lumen version) on the right:
lx2highkx2a.jpg

LX2 on high and a Fenix TK40 on the right set to medium (distance ~10 feet):
lx2tk40med.jpg

LX2 on high and a Fenix TK40 on the right set to high (note that the TK40 has more spill than the LX2 that you can't see in the pic):
lx2tk40hi.jpg

LX2 on high and a Fenix TK40 on the right set to Turbo:
lx2tk40turbo.jpg

Shots across the room. LX2 on high:
walllx2hi.jpg

LX2 on high with F04 (beam diffuser):
walllx2hif04.jpg

LX2 on low:
walllx2low.jpg

LX2 on low with F04:
walllx2lowf04.jpg

TK40 on high:
walltk40hi.jpg

Titan T1A on high:
wallt1ahi.jpg

Fenix P1D CE on max:
wallp1dce.jpg

Outdoor shots. Distance 45 feet. (all shots on manual exp):

LX2 on high:
lx2high.jpg

TK40 on high:
tk40high.jpg

LX2 on low:
lx2low.jpg

Other shots taken previously from the same position with the same camera settings:
Fenix T1 on high:
dsc7706u.jpg

Surefire E2DL on high:
e2dlc.jpg

lx2whitef.jpg

Last edited:

henry1960

Enlightened
Sean....I Couldent Say It Any Better.
I love The 15 Lumen Low And The 200 Lumen Is Abought The Same As My E2DL Making This A Five Star Flash Light In My Book :twothumbs

xpawel18x

Newly Enlightened
Sean....I Couldent Say It Any Better.
I love The 15 Lumen Low And The 200 Lumen Is Abought The Same As My E2DL Making This A Five Star Flash Light In My Book :twothumbs

LX2 the same as E2DL ? I thought the 200 lumens would be brighter than the E2DL's 120 ?:thinking:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hey Sarge ... obsessed with Li-Ion? :nana:

Sean ... thanx for the review! :)
Moved to reviews.

bernie

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
LX2 the same as E2DL ? I thought the 200 lumens would be brighter than the E2DL's 120 ?:thinking:

My LX2 is brighter than my E2DL. But there's not a huge difference because the E2DLs actually put out between 160-210 lumens, way more than the published spec of 120. So if you already were lucky and have an E2DL that was around 200 lumens you won't see much of a difference in output if you get an LX2. In reality you need to quadruple the output for a light to appear twice as bright. So if your LX2 looks a little brighter than your E2DL then that means it's probably dozens of lumens brighter. I wouldn't dump my E2DL for a LX2 just for the lumen difference. I would (and did) dump my E2DL for the bezel down clip, higher low and great UI. :)

Last edited:

xpawel18x

Newly Enlightened
My LX2 is brighter than my E2DL. But there's not a huge difference because the E2DLs actually put out between 160-210 lumens, way more than the published spec of 120. So if you already were lucky and have an E2DL that was around 200 lumens you won't see much of a difference in output if you get an LX2. In reality you need to quadruple the output for a light to appear twice as bright. So if your LX2 looks a little brighter than your E2DL then that means it's probably dozens of lumens brighter. I wouldn't dump my E2DL for a LX2 just for the lumen difference. I would (and did) dump my E2DL for the bezel down clip, higher low and great UI. :)

Then I think it's safe to say that SF started to print OTF lumens as opposed to their previously under-rated lumen ratings.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and pics! :twothumbs

Any chance of any outdoor beamshot comparisons with other lights?

Thanks,
Robert

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review Sean, thanks!! I've been waiting on this..

One question - in your beamshots with the TK40 you state "LX2 on high and a Fenix TK40 on the left set to medium (distance ~10 feet):"

The TK40 is actually always on the right, correct?

Thanks again - very nice job.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review Sean, thanks!! I've been waiting on this..

One question - in your beamshots with the TK40 you state "LX2 on high and a Fenix TK40 on the left set to medium (distance ~10 feet):"

The TK40 is actually always on the right, correct?

Thanks again - very nice job.

:ohgeez: Thanks for that, it's fixed now! :whistle:

The TK40 is always on the right.

Edit: More outdoor beamshots added.

Last edited:

Chao

Enlightened
Nice review, thanks a lot!
I ordered one, can't wait.