Is there a continously variable driver board?

Tranworld

Newly Enlightened
I don't like the type of "click to change" set up, some time you want just to switch off but have to click twice etc. but I do need a variable output, not just fixed type.

Is there a type that is controlled by a rotary knob? Like a radio volume, when you first turn on in is low then go brighter, when switching of then it go low then off. It does not have to be seemless, just a few position will be OK too, for example low - med - high but all controlled via distinct connectors rather than click.

Marduke

Flashaholic
SureFire Titan
SureFire U2
Gatlight
NiteCore SR3
Fenix TA30
Fenix TA20
Fenix TA21
Dosun R1
JetBeam Raptor

However, of all the lights that ramp, I know of none that make you click twice to turn off. All of them are click to turn on, click to turn off. That's just about as basic as you can get for a flashlight. Also, most are hold to change, not click to to change. It would be very difficult to click to ramp an infinitely variable light.

That leads me to believe you have never actually used one of these lights.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The Surefire Titan and Gatlight (seamless) and Surefire Digital 2 Ultra and Spy 005 & 007 (6 and 7 selected levels), all operate using a rotary control, either on the top (Spy 005 & 007), rear (Gatlight), turning the head (Titan) or a ring behind the head (Digital 2 Ultra).

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the type of "click to change" set up, some time you want just to switch off but have to click twice etc. but I do need a variable output, not just fixed type.

Is there a type that is controlled by a rotary knob? Like a radio volume, when you first turn on in is low then go brighter, when switching of then it go low then off. It does not have to be seemless, just a few position will be OK too, for example low - med - high but all controlled via distinct connectors rather than click.

CCHIPO and fatman can work this way.
Der Wichtel said he would think about it.
As I have said the ability to pick a level before turning a light on is then best way.
The hipflex seems to be a second place choice. I've not tried it but it seems that a click will turn the light on at one level and a press at another.

TexLite

Enlightened

I believe a Shark Boost Converter with an external pot w/switch or a Fatman Boost Converter with an external pot w/switch would work for your needs as described.

Sandwich Shoppe Sub-Forum, manufacturer of the Shark.

TaskLED, manufacturer of the Fatman.

Both converters are of the highest quality.

-Michael