"points" of light??????

Bushman5

Enlightened
is "points" another term for light output?

today while in the coffee shop, I was grabbing my java when i noticed two LEO's comparing flashlights. I could'nt resist saying hi, mentioning CPF, and showing my TA30.

one of the officers pulled out a TK11 and flashed it, saying, "it was rated by the dept as having 6 points of light"

anyone heard of the term "points" in reference to light output?

:confused::thinking:

Bushman5

Enlightened
no, a few minutes before i introduced myself (they know one of my family, LEO) they were comparing lights between them, and mentioning each lights "points" on a brightness scale. One light was only 4 points, the other was 6.......

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like an internal grading sort of thing.

We have that here too...

Enlightened, Flashaholic, Flashaholic*, * Flashaholic*, Mods, Serving Wench. :laughing:

arowana

Newly Enlightened
yea, he probably meant "6 points light" instead of "6 points of light" like an internal rating of different lights... like a "5 stars hotel"...

SilentK

Enlightened
You should have had a flashlight "pissing contest" :poke: Anyway, something important that needs to be asked, how do LEO's know about brands like fenix? i dont see anyone in the states that sells anything more than an e01. So how do a non-flashohalic have a high end like, that was desigined to run off of 18650 cells? :candle: perhaps he is acctualy a flashohalic but does not know that there are thousands of us. He might think that cpf is a joke of something.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should have had a flashlight "pissing contest" :poke: Anyway, something important that needs to be asked, how do LEO's know about brands like fenix? i dont see anyone in the states that sells anything more than an e01. So how do a non-flashohalic have a high end like, that was desigined to run off of 18650 cells? :candle: perhaps he is acctualy a flashohalic but does not know that there are thousands of us. He might think that cpf is a joke of something.

Nay... he might be a member here. :whistle:
Or some member here trying to, erm, get him over to the dark side? :duh2:

Bushman5

Enlightened

Fenix is readily available here in Canada, and all three of our police supply shops locally in BC carry all the Fenix models.

he was running SF primaries in it.

yea, he probably meant "6 points light" instead of "6 points of light" like an internal rating of different lights... like a "5 stars hotel"...

he clearly said "this light is rated at 6 points" and later asked how mainy "points" my TA30 was rated at.

sappyg

Enlightened
i've heard the phrase but only in fraternal association. :whistle:
i would'nt read much into this. if you see them again ask them what it means.