SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Post your camera equipment/setup!

Default Re: Post your camera equipment/setup!

One of my good old F-1 bodies. It still works great despite being well beaten.

I, too, miss metal lenses with aperture rings and DOF scales, but I have gone digital for the most part these days.

I use a Canon 40D with a 20D for backup for serious work and a nice little Sony DSC-HX5V for compactness. And it shoots HD video, so that's kind of a treat.

Great thread here !

Love seeing the Vintage camera equipment !

I have a question, for those of you who have a Recent Canon Digital EOS SLR . . . .

How do you like the "self-cleaning sensor" ? ? ?

Does this process really work as well as you'd like ?

I own a Canon EOS 20D, and (alas), i need to periodically clean my sensor.

Manually. By hand. (using the "Copperhill" method)

(ie: Rubber spatula, Pec Pads, and Eclipse solution)

I would REALLY be happy, if the NEW models would no longer require this hassle.

So, tell me your opinions, please.

_

Hey Burgess,

It would mainly depend on how often you change your lenses, and if you use a telephoto often or not (as they move quite a bit of air).

Dust isn't *too* bad, I guess - since the camera's default setting is to do the sensor cleaning before and after startup, you don't really notice that is removes dust.

Regardless, my 4 year old XTi has needed cleaning only once.. a few months ago, as I had a problem with welded dust that I had to use a wet sensor cleaner to remove!

If you decide to upgrade to a newer dslr, and the 20D needs a new home.. well..

Burgess,

I think the self cleaning feature is nice, but I certainly don't think it's a necessary option (at least for me).

I mainly shoot a MkIIN, a 20D, and a 40D.

I was having some dust issues on the IIN because I use it more than all my other bodies combined. A few years ago, I picked up an Arctic Butterfly. I went over all my sensors thoroughly, and since then have only used the Butterfly if I noticed a problem.

The key is just to be careful when changing lenses. I usually carry 2 bodies when shooting. One of the main reasons for this is so I don't have to swap lenses as much.
    Keeping sensors clean is to me more a case of practicing good prevention rather than having a good method of cleanup.

Telephoto lenses don't inherently stir more air. The only lenses you have to worry about this with are push-pull zooms such as the 100-400 or 28-300. You will see these referred to as "dust suckers". I'm not saying their not nice lenses, but they can cause more maintenance issues.

To a lesser degree, you will face the same situation with any lenses that change length when you zoom or focus, such as the 24-105, as they are still displacing air.

Having said all this, I'll leave you with my 2c...

1) While a self-cleaning sensor is nice (and I do believe they help), it is not one of key features I need, and lack thereof would not be a deal-breaker. I personally wouldn't purchase a newer camera for this alone.

2) If you decide to upgrade in the future (and face it, most of us here understand the overwhelming desire to do this), hang on to your 20D (sorry csshih). There is just something about the sensor in the 20D and the MkII series that sets it apart.
    I have used everything up to the MkIII's and the only one (IMHO) that exceeds it is the original 5D. No matter what in-camera settings I use, the images from this sensor have that "feel". Kind of like the results I used to get from Fuji Velvia.

Hope this helps...

Rich
    "Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see" ~ Benjamin Franklin
    Don't click here

Thank you, Craig and Rich, for your responses.

Yes indeed, i am always VERY careful when changing Lenses.

Also, i don't have any "trombone-style" or "dust-sucker" lenses.

But when i'm using my Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens, at f/11 (for good DOF)
    i am greeted by a *Pointed Reminder* that it is time (once again) to clean my sensor.

Wondering if the New Models would make this hassle a thing of the past.

Note to Craig -- It was very kind of you to offer to buy my OLD camera,
    but really, as a struggling student, your money would probably be better suited elsewhere.

_

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    Note to Craig -- It was very kind of you to offer to buy my OLD camera, but really, as a struggling student, your money would probably be better suited elsewhere.
    Thank you very much for your consideration, well, I'm not struggling *too* badly, and I set aside funds for fun stuff. Flashlights, Lasers, Knives, Test equipment, etc..

The XTi I have here is pretty beat up at this point, and it's on its way out.. so when you pick up a newer cam and feel like it's just going to sit collecting dust... but by all means I am not pressuring you!

Burgess:

I have noticed that the 40D is very noticeably better than the 20D for dust. So the dust reduction methods employed in the 40D are an improvement.

I shoot a LOT of macro, and as you've noticed, when using small apertures, dust is a fairly serious issue. I figure I clean the 40D about a tenth as often as the 20D, but it's still far from dust free. I still need to manually clean its sensor every so often.

So I'd say that the anti-dust features help, but they don't eliminate the need for periodic manual cleaning, particularly if you shoot at small apertures where the very tiny dust shows up.

Thank you, sigmo.

Your answer was Very Helpful !

Oh, by the way . . . .

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

_

Unenlightened

Canon Bodies:
    EOS 7D
    EOS 40D
    EOS 20D
    PowerShot G10

Lenses:
    EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
    EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
    EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
    EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Flash and Accessories:
    Speedlite 580EX
    Battery Grip BG-E7
    Remote Switch RS-80N3
    Manfrotto 055MF4 Tripod / 468MGRC2 Head
    Gitzo GM3550 Monopod / Manfrotto 486RC2 Head

to :-)

Welcome to CandlePowerForums ! ! !

Could you perhaps give us (me) your opinion of the 7D compared to 20D ?

-- Image quality

-- anything else you would like to mention

Thank you.

aw, I have to update my first post again. currently rocking a 50D but looking to update to a 7D..

I realize video is actually important to me.

:-) What do you think of your longer zooms? My feeling is that optically the 70-200 and 70-300 DO are quite close to each other and that the 100-400 falls quite short of the other two.
    Waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel? Well stride down there and light the damn thing yourself! - Samantha O'Connor

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    to :-)
    Could you perhaps give us (me) your opinion of the 7D compared to 20D ?
    -- Image quality
    -- anything else you would like to mention

Thank you.
    Hi Burgess,

Thanks for the re-welcome to CPF. I was 'one of the few' being dropped out after the CPF crash.

The short answer: Image quality of the 7D is a lot better than the 20D. You can see 5 years of technological improvements (and dual DIGIC 4), especially when using a high quality lens.

Most noticeable is the better resolution of the 7D. The difference however between 40D and 7D is smaller than the difference between 20D and 40D.
    Regarding ISO my 20D and 40D maximum setting is 400 due to the noisy image with higher ISO. Using the 7D, I get satisfactory (on screen) results up to ISO 1600.

Other attractive features of the 7D compared to the 20D:
    -Sensor dust reduction
    -Very fast AF
    -8 frames/second in continuous shooting
    -Live view (macro photography)
    -AF adjustment for individual lenses
    -Wireless flash control
    -Weather sealing

Only downside could be the 0.3 lbs (20%) increase in weight.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by CampingLED View Post
    :-) What do you think of your longer zooms? My feeling is that optically the 70-200 and 70-300 DO are quite close to each other and that the 100-400 falls quite short of the other two.
    Both the 70-200 2.8 L and the 100-400 4.5-5.6 L are excellent lenses giving you really sharp results.
    They are however about two times heavier than the 70-300DO, and will attract more attention because of the white color.

For the price you pay for the 70-300 DO you may expect better results than you'll get. The image is quite soft and needs additional sharpening during post processing. You really need to use this lens stopped down because of this. It's also prone to flare when used wide open. AF and IS are very good.

If you like to travel light without attracting much attention the DO is a nice option. If you are going for the best results, choose one of the L-lenses!
    Last edited by :-); 03-16-2011 at 10:40 AM.

i use

Digital Camera of Nikon : -
    Nikon D90
    Nikon D70
    Panasonic FX40

I'm such a cheapskate! I still use an old Nikon D50... I have the 18-55mm kit lens, a 50mm 1.8, a 35mm 1.8 and a 55-200. SB400 which is the cheapest flash they offer, but it can be pointed up for a bounce flash.

My main point and shoot is the Panasonic DMC-ZS3 which has the cool zoom lens that goes down to 25mm... that's the main reason I got it.

Also have a 4 or 5 Canon SD500/550s which were pretty trick in that they used the larger 1/1.8" sensor which allows for a lot more light to be captured so there's less noise and
    nice contrast.

A couple sample shots. Shot of my EDC knife taken with the Panasonic point and shoot. Lighting is almost everything in my opinion and this one had that perfect golden sunset lighting. You definitely get spoiled with a decent DSLR and a nice lens, but sometimes it surprises you how decent a P&S can do in a pinch.

Pic of a new-ish Russian Orthodox church taken with the Nikon and the kit lens. I think this was taken about 3 days after I got the camera and everything was set to full automatic, I believe.

A pic of one of my guitars taken with the Nikon and the 35mm lens and natural light:

I think this one came out pretty nice. Nearly random snapshot of a pedal I put up for sale. Nikon, probably the 35mm lens and the bounced flash:

"That's what makes SF so badass... we've got the best flashlights."

For travelling and holidays i use a Panasonic GF1 with 14-45 zoom.

For everyday work, business trips and barbecues i´ve got got a Canon S95.

The GF1 has been my first digital camera. Before that i used to drag around a Minolta Maxxum/Dynax 9 with two 2.8 zooms, 28-70 and 80-200.

Cheers

RBR

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Light View Post
    My good old dusty Rolleiflex

I'll see your '60s version and raise you a '90s version!

I love the Rolleiflex TLR's ! ! !

Can't beat 6x6 on 120.

Oh, the memories they've captured.

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    Canon Bodies:
    EOS 7D
    EOS 40D
    EOS 20D
    PowerShot G10

Lenses:
    EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
    EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
    EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
    EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Flash and Accessories:
    Speedlite 580EX
    Battery Grip BG-E7
    Remote Switch RS-80N3
    Manfrotto 055MF4 Tripod / 468MGRC2 Head
    Gitzo GM3550 Monopod / Manfrotto 486RC2 Head
    I must admit I am envious of your gear. I shoot a 7d myself with the 24-105 f4L. I switched from Nikon so I could take advantage of the better video that Canon offers but had to give up on having many lenses and speedlights to afford the upgrade.

At least I can still use my Manfrotto stuff!

Cheers,

Steve

Hello,

I'm not sure how current this thread is but thought I'd add my little blurb about my camera gear and recent project. I have a drawer full of 35mm film camera gear but so far my only digital camera is a Pentax W30 point & shoot.

I've been experimenting with nighttime low-light video and IR video lately. My video camera is a B&W only, PC164-EX, from Supercircuits (~$US140) and a 12mm CS lens. This camera is claimed to work down to 0.0003 lux.

I run the NTSC signal from the camera through a USB2.0 Audio/video Grabber (GrabeeX-+) to convert the signal to digital then it goes into my computers' USB port where it's recorded in either time lapse or motion detection mode.

Currently I'm working on an IR illluminator (actually an IR radiator) using 96 Lumex LEDs (p/n OED-EL-1L2) and trying to figure out a good way to power it from an AC wall wart. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for reading this long missive, Ed507

One of my favorite setups.

TWO is ONE and ONE is NONE, but THREE is more FUN.
    My beamshot gallery

^ haha. how did you do it?

Its not actually attached, just balancing precariously atop the hotshoe for this shot.
    TWO is ONE and ONE is NONE, but THREE is more FUN.
    My beamshot gallery

Got this one from my brother. Quick photo taken with my phone.

Waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel? Well stride down there and light the damn thing yourself! - Samantha O'Connor

Well I finally upgraded and it arrived earlier this week.

Went with the Canon 5D MKII and 50mm f/1.2L.

Haven't had much chance to play with it yet, but very happy with what I've seen so far

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Dime,

The 5DM2 is an awesome camera. I debated between the 7D and 5DM2 last year and choose to go full frame. I can't wait until 5DM3 to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by DimeRazorback View Post
    Well I finally upgraded and it arrived earlier this week.

Went with the Canon 5D MKII and 50mm f/1.2L.

Haven't had much chance to play with it yet, but very happy with what I've seen so far

Quote Originally Posted by xcel730 View Post
    Dime,

The 5DM2 is an awesome camera. I debated between the 7D and 5DM2 last year and choose to go full frame. I can't wait until 5DM3 to come out.
    That's the same debate I was having... one day I wanted the 7D, then the 5D... In the end I thought the 5D matched my style more and full frame was calling!
    You can get the 7D bodies so cheap these days I thought if I really needed the extra speed well...

I hear you on the MKIII!

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Quote Originally Posted by RBR View Post
    For travelling and holidays i use a Panasonic GF1 with 14-45 zoom.

For everyday work, business trips and barbecues i´ve got got a Canon S95.

The GF1 has been my first digital camera. Before that i used to drag around a Minolta Maxxum/Dynax 9 with two 2.8 zooms, 28-70 and 80-200.

Cheers

RBR
    Updated equipment, just additionally bought a Panasonic 45-200 zoom. Quite a small, light and cheap lens, performance is though not too bad.

Beside that i use a Gorillapod and a Sirui P-306 monopod, a Novoflex ballhead with a Novoflex Miniconnect quick release and Heliopan filters.

Cheers

RBR