Good compact optics for XR-E and MC-E LEDs?

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are just testing a combination of holder ad aspheric. If you don't need some hundreds, we can send some to you.

Javier

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
A member from the UK who will surely chime in on this thread posted this outstanding optic MC-E comparison.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used quite a number of optics and reflectors for the XR-E and by far the best method of focusing is Sandwich Shoppe's 19 mm reflector.
(You might even find these multipics somewhere here)

Is someone knows a good and small device for the MC-E, I'd also like to know ...

MrNaz

Enlightened
I have used quite a number of optics and reflectors for the XR-E and by far the best method of focusing is Sandwich Shoppe's 19 mm reflector.
(You might even find these multipics somewhere here)
Can you please tell me more about this reflector? Spot or flood? 19mm seems too good to be true. Does it collect a good amount of light? How tight is the beam? Do you have beam shots and/or build photos of these being used?
Is someone knows a good and small device for the MC-E, I'd also like to know ...
Here's a 21mm optic for the MC-E. I've had a look, it's pretty good, however it does have a donut hole. Nonetheless, it's the best MC-E optic I've seen for this size.
http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut819

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your asked for it ... ;)
sorry for the large pics

These are the 2 series I've made sometime ago ...
Setup is: camera on automatic, room lights on, prefocus, lights off, led on, picture taken.
So it is no real scientific light output test - I just did it for getting a feeling on how the beam spreads - but it comes close to, as the cam settings should be the same all the time.

1st pic:
cree optic (8 deg.),
Fraen plastic reflector for XR-E,
Sandwich Shoppe 17 mm (McR 17),
Sandwich Shoppe 19 mm (McR 19),
Sandwich Shoppe 20 mm (McR 20).
think distances were: 0.5m, 1m, 2m, 4m
avo0xiwjbdzcw8dis.jpg

out of them:
#1 - visible!!! - the SS McR 19 mm
(there is a model for the XR-E and a "normal" 19 mm, both are almost the same, I prefer the normal 19 mm).
Bright hotspot with nice spill and good transition between both.
If it were for cost in a multiled application, the original 8 deg. optic were my vote.
Absolutely dissatisfied with the plastic reflector! Wanted it for multiled application but it is visibly worse than the optic and not this much cheaper that it would make sense.

2nd pic with XR-E (and some modded IMS reflectors)

arx1a8458v4jev8fo.jpg

for throw: Sandwich Shoppe McR 27mm
overall + smaller size: Sandwich Shoppe McR 19mm
(dark shadow comes from the rubber band temporarily holding the devices. In real use they are glued in)

The good results are - again imho - the deep shape of the McR. They simply catch a higher amount of the emitted light. My old 6P w. XR-E P4 modded in April 2007 is still the brightest light I have, outshining the newer "Q5" and "R2" ones at same current. But they dont feature the expensive modders reflectors.

PS: the McR make no Cree ring!
(imho comes from a reflection of the XR-Es metal ring in the reflector. With the McRs the reflector is sitting on that ring, not extending below to have that reflection on the surface)

PPS: in General, my impression is that a very good (= expensive) reflector gives a much better main AND a useable spill, while optics tend not to give useful spill. They can feature a good main, but then a harsh transition to very dim "around" light.
Difficult to catch with a photo and pssibly my imagination.
I have such "series" for Lux III and they are about the same, so, for me, the thing is clear.
;)

pics of modded lights:

ap469ilmg480ybp84.jpg

T1 is modded with driver and McR 17mm, the 6P with driver and McR 19 mm
6P is still my main light, the tint is perfect and the machining and feel of the SF ...

ap46bxfx5qrxkwqk4.jpg

this is how the "Pill" looks with me. Thick sink which is press fit into housing.
Only way to have a good thermal path.

last light I got and modded was a Jetbeam Jet III Pro St.
left: McR 17 and its centering thingy, right: original reflector
b4j6njhz5y6jdp9xm.jpg

Jet III Pro ST finished with the McR 17mm that fits in nicely
b4j6p6vrejxlmh0ne.jpg

(I choose the 17, because the original beam was too tight for my taste (for a small and pocketable "indoor" light), knowing that "brightness" will suffer from the change. It was not this obvious as I feared, and the old 6P (P4) had the better and brighter beam anyway.

these are the "main" parts:
b4j6n2ebz2lq98juy.jpg

McR 19 on left, McR 17 in middle, original Jet III reflector at right
... shows difference of the 19mm. It is deeper than any reflector or optic I have had by now.
If it would have fit in, I would have used it for the Pro ST as well.
(adhesive tape is removed when in use)

beamshots, again NO BRIGHTNESS COMPARISON because of my cheap camera.
McR 19 on left, Jet III Pro ST original middle, McR 17 (inside Pro ST) at right
b4j6ao6e9qle560zu.jpg

the original shows the Cree ring, and it has a tighter beam with very harsh transition to spill.
For the application - small pocketable short range light - the 17mm improved the light output. Who wants throw wont be satisfied
(then an even larger light w. bigger reflector like the Pro Ulta, TK11 were better)

Last edited:

MrNaz

Enlightened
Your asked for it ... ;)
sorry for the large pics

Most.
Useful.
Post.
Ever.

:eek:oo:

Big thanks for that, it really gives me a great comparison. I have a pile of the cree type optics, so I can see now that if I switched my 4 emitter light to McR19s all I'd be doing is spending a pile of extra money on not much extra. Those McRs look great for single emitter applications though where you want to get the absolute best out of a single XR-E. I'll probably order a few and use them for that.

Big thanks again!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
big problem is cost!!!

when using multiled, and not wanting throw, a good idea is to not aline the beams side by side, but to have them spread to get a wider beam with bright middle (where they all overlay).
For me, thats the only real argument for doing all the hassles with multiled.

Pic:
ao2r7t5zrw2s37e5w.jpg

au68bxtk0fr7zo9ro.jpg

left is the quad, right the size of the McR 19 mm beam
(could have gotten even a few degrees offset more)

PS: if You want the original sized multipics to be able to scroll around, before deciding on a special focusing device, I can send them.
the 1st is 3200*2880 with 900 KB, the 2nd 3200*3360 with 1.22 MB, so both had to be resized here, loosing some detail.

Last edited:

MrNaz

Enlightened
big problem is cost!!!

when using multiled, and not wanting throw, a good idea is to not aline the beams side by side, but to have them spread to get a wider beam with bright middle (where they all overlay).
For me, thats the only real argument for doing all the hassles with multiled.

The reason I use multiled for throw is because I'm building an underwater light. Not only do you need good focus on the beam, but you also need lots of light for penetration. Light travels very short distances underwater, and is then totally washed out. A light that will throw 100m on land will struggle with 5m underwater.

Hence, my desire to focus as many lumens into the hotspot as possible.

The McR19 looks like a good candidate for this, as it's not too narrow a beam (if that's what I wanted, the I'd be using aspherics) but still tight enough to give a good penetrating beam with little backscatter.

Now all I need to do is buy 4 of them for my project. My wallet is whining already.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
then try the optics 1st.
Thats where I think they were better, as - my impression - they make less spill.
Normally we want useable spill, but not underwater.
All the light not focused by the reflector go into direct spill, illuminating the "little things" in the water in front of the light. Think like illuminating fog with a flood light.

You could also compare at my "1st pic".
both pics from the left (directly in front of the target, and a bit away from it), the spill light around the main beam is considerably brighter with the reflectors, compared to the optic.

Possibly an idea: try to get two identical cheap lights with XR-E and put an optic into one. Submerge both and compare the beams. Better than getting all the reflectors and do the modding work, just to find them not suitable.