Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for an oddball; probably custom?

Default Re: Looking for an oddball; probably custom?

Green,

Again in fairness to Spyderco and Benchmade, reasonable care and maintenance would not result in what I have shown. If the metal would have been typical knife steel or the common stainless steels, the corrosion would have been worse I would guess. 316 Stainless Steel should do as well and likely better but then forget any edge!

If anything, these pics might help illustrate why some of us or at least me, does have a preference for titanium and not because it is a bling material.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Your pictures are somewhat disturbing. H1 is supposed to be one of the only truly stainless steel alloys out there. It's supposed to be pretty much incapable of rusting in any environment that wouldn't kill you.
    I'm amazed and shocked.
    Special Circumstances Inc

Ignorance is the anesthesia that numbs the pain of stupidity.

I would, by the way, strongly suggest that you show Spyderco these pictures. I have a feeling Sal would be pretty interested in seeing this knife.

Quote Originally Posted by ErickThakrar View Post
    I would, by the way, strongly suggest that you show Spyderco these pictures. I have a feeling Sal would be pretty interested in seeing this knife.
    As chance would have it, I did just alert Jurphaas to this thread. I got the knife from him. I think I might have met Sal at a SF Boat Show many many years ago when Spyderco was still quite young and their line was specifically targeting the marine industry. I bought a folder, I think from him,at the show. I got a lot of service out of that knife!! Beyond that, I don't know Sal at all. Interestingly, I believe he was friends with a mutual friend in Santa Cruz boat builder and 60's participant, Ron Moore. I got to know Ron when I was distributing marine supplies and Ron once suggested I contact Sal, I think in regards about becoming a Spyder Co dealer or distributor. As I recall, Ron saw my knife and mentioned he knew the owner. I felt the knife was the best tool for a boater at the time and still suspect their marine line is premium gear.

The knife above is in an emergency service only application and it is left completely unattended and ignored. Neglect is probably one of the greatest tests any gear (or person for that matter) can be subjected to.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Hi Don and all other contributors to this ineresting post. My name is Jurphaas van Rietschoten and I work for Spyderco as their European representative. Due to my interest in LED lights and my love for nature and the environment, I came upon Don's product and his McGizmo corner on CPF, of which I am a long time member, and his "Maui Time (Pictures)" post.
    Altough the looks of the Caspian salt shown might be frightening, I recal a case a couple of years ago where Spyderco (read, the owner Sal Glesser) got allarmed by a report of rust on an H1 folder. The knife was requested to be sent in for investigation and research. What we found was that not the H-1 steel corroded, but merely some residue from the tooling used in the production process. Minute particles of residue sticked to the blade and started to corrode, turning brown and ugly after being in contact with salt water. I believe we since made arrangements with our Japanese partner to thoroughly rinse and clean the blades of this residue.
    Alhough Spyderco goes the extra mile with extensive research and testing in house, we are always allert and interested when reports like this are brought to our attention. I like to invited Don to return the knife with its sheath to Spyderco for evaluation. I will send the URL of this post to Sal and explain the situation and concerns to him. I am positive that he will replace the knife Don.
    Don, thank you very much, for informing me about this situation as I missed this post when you started it.

Please send your knife with a brief note telling about this CPF post and mention my name to:
    SPYDERCO Inc.
    Attn: Sal Glesser / Warranty & Repair dept.
    820 Spyderco Way
    Golden, CO 80403.

Be good and stay safe!
    Jurphaas
    Last edited by Jurphaas; 08-22-2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: the usual typos.
    Have a Bright Day!

Flashaholic*

Wow Don, you really know how to neglect your stuff

A high polish and coating a boeshield (avail at marine stores) should help ward off rust.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

How about something like this :

next to a Strider SNG and made by yours truly - 1/4" thick 6AL4V Titanium - what I call the Karambot since it's also got a bottle opener. Just add one of your Ti clips and some Kydex to cover the blade. I don't sell these but if I can make this I'm betting you could do one something like this. It's also got a lanyard hole. Having the holes for your fingers insures you won't drop it easily in the ocean and the 'natural rip claw' makes it easy to cut things with a pulling action.
    There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Almine

Hi Jurphaas!

My first thought was to surface contamination because I have encountered it often when I was in the marine industry and experienced it first hand on some custom 316 stainless boat parts I made.

I would be happy to send the knife in to Spyderco but only if they want to see it. Unfortunately I did take some scotch brite to it and removed the majority of bloom. I don't know if the pitting I seem to be seeing could result from corrosion growth on the surface but it wouldn't surprise me. If the growth limited the flow of oxygen as well as trapped some free chlorine ions (presuming I have my chemistry right) pitting is common on many steels otherwise not prone to corrosion. Well at least I know this can be a killer of 316.

Back to the return, I am satisfied with your conjecture and the business part of the blade on this knife looks just fine at this point. Again, in its application, I don't use it and frankly hope I never need to use it! Cosmetic discoloration might be a plus should someone happen upon the knife with thoughts of "borrowing" it.

I read somewhere that Strider was working with NiTiNOL and although quite exotic, I think it would be the ultimate material for this oddball I seek.

Matrixshaman,

Nice work!! I have given some thought to doing my own thing with a hunk of 6-4, probably along the lines of some of Peter Atwood's pocket tools but with a line cutting notch similar the the hook7. Your knife there scares me! I wouldn't want to be in the same room or same ocean with that thing! When you have a dive mask on, your vision is really restricted and much of what you do is by feel. I wouldn't want to encounter that point the wrong way!!

Hi Don, PM sent and awaiting Spyderco's reaction...
    Cheers,
    Jur.
    Have a Bright Day!

Bump, I'm curious if anything became of this.
    Hobbyist LED information Website
    U2 work light
    Shaky Emergency Light
    The Mags
    engineer in the making

Hmm... looks like we already have our in house turtle and spyder expert!

So will we see a 2010 CPF blade a collaboration between McGizmo and Spyderco?
    What say you guys??

I want in!!
    Spyderco version.

Hey Don why not use a G10 blade for your dive? There are already loads in the custom blade market.
    Maybe some of the toxic bros could chime.
    Lights were once incandescent. And halogen bulb were great

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    Hi Moeman,
    Thanks for the offer but I have a couple of the Salt knives already. One is mounted on one of my SurfSkis (sit on top kayak). It has been attached, in its plastic scabbard, to a deck bag now for over a year and possibly two years. Please understand that I don't do anything about cleaning it or rinsing it beyond rain that hits it.

That's very interesting. Your mention of chlorine reminds me of this: http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39008

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    A number of us try to police the reef and remove fishing tackle that has broken clear from the rod and reel and left abandoned. ... I needed a knife or some type of clippers and didn't have anything on me.
    Any ideas or sugestions?
    Stainless steel toenail clippers? Too oddball?
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

Dont go spoiling a perfectly good thread with too many facts.
    Henrik
    Creator of The Axe and the BigM*g and i'm sure more silly projects will follow

Don, FYI, Peter did a handful of tools early on that are basically PryBabies with seat belt cutters in the bottle opener. He discontinued them because they were a pain for him to do and difficult if not impossible for most users to protect the edge or resharpen. These were PryBaby variants, not to be confused with the Pop N Chops. Maybe Peter would hook you up?

Personally, I think you need a Mayo. It's just wrong to have a McGizmo in one pocket and a production knife in the other!! I think TM likes trades, too.

The 60 NiTiNOL PM Striders are very sweet, but quite rare and definitely $$$$!!!! I think they sold originally from Strider in the $2k range. There is a well known McGizmite who owns one. PM me if you want and I will give you the name if you want to get some firsthand feedback from him.

It may be showing my ignorance to say so, but it seems like going diving without a knife (or three) is a very dangerous gamble. Stay safe out there!!
    Trees don't grow on money either.

Just reread your OP and I remembered this Ti Card Knife that may be up your alley:

http://www.nemesis-knives.com/tools.htm

There was also a similar one made by Jens Anso, but they are sold out, so you'd have to find on the secondary market. I can probably find you one if you want me to.

Also, look into Warren Thomas. He does a lot of really unique work making Ti blades with carbidized edges. Fixed blades, folders and true customs.

Really, there are a LOT of good options out there.....
    Trees don't grow on money either.

Hi Don,
    Your old spyderco friend is doing just fine.

Don
    Did you ever send the knife in to Spyderco?

Rycen,
    Yes, I sent the knife back to Spyderco and they provided a new replacement. I installed it on my surfski which as it turns out, I have only taken in the water once this season. I have opted to use the smaller waveski as transport in going out for whale watching. I do subject the Benchmade #7 to near daily saltwater and air exposure though since it is always on the swim fin. I used it the other day to cut away a bunch of fishing line that was wrapped around the coral and noticed that it now has a number of rust bloom spots on it but seemingly just on the surface and more cosmetic than anything else at this point.

I caught the thread on ceramic box cutter blades and purchased some of them. One of these days I would like to fabricate a titanium folder that would be host to one of these replaceable ceramic blades. I think a ceramic version of the Benchmade #7 would also be a cool tool for my application and environment and it would have insignificant weight as well.

Well I have read all the posts and have come to the conclusion that while in an effort to find a great knife, you forgot to mention that he may travel. For this I came up with a simple alternative. Get a reinforced plastic knife. Try this link and let me know what you think. http://www.assistedknife.com/index.c...subcatid/59411. Also you will be able to take it with you wherever you go. Just check the local laws first. But you can stow it in your luggage. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by tattoosteve99 View Post
    Well I have read all the posts and have come to the conclusion that while in an effort to find a great knife, you forgot to mention that he may travel. For this I came up with a simple alternative. Get a reinforced plastic knife. Try this link and let me know what you think. http://www.assistedknife.com/index.c...subcatid/59411. Also you will be able to take it with you wherever you go. Just check the local laws first. But you can stow it in your luggage. Good Luck
    I have a bunch of those but I wouldn't try cutting anything hard with them, heck you might even have trouble cutting fabric, let alone ropes. They are better at stabbing than slicing, for sure.

IMHO it's best to stick to proven H1 and titanium blades.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Mac, I'm pretty sure this one is rust proof and I can pretty much guarantee that it'll slash through fishing line, AND, if you mess it up, you can buy a new one. They are pretty damn cheap

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...22&sa=N&tab=wf

This way you'll never have to throw a knife away, that has rusted, which sucks, they're cheap enough to buy one a month or week and still pay less than you would for another one for the same time, and if you lose one, who gives a shit!

I have the tanto but I don't think it'll suit you because it's not serrated and is much bigger http://www.coldsteel.com/nightshadeseries.html

Hey Don, how about something like this?

6AL4V and G10. The edge is carbidized so it lasts quite a bit longer than a plain Ti edge does.

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

now that looks like interesting thingamajig eric.. what is it? and how much is it. (too much for me likely as it looks custom made)

g10 glued to blade and then shaped and sharpened? interesting idea as is.

-ceramic knife is out of question because they brittle and break too easy? those wouldnt rust.
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

It's a G10/Titanium laminate, which is then ground into shape, similar to how you'd make a normal homogenous knife.
    I call it a Zipper. It's based on a design I collaborated on with another knifemaker, name of Morgan Atwood, a few years back. He made the original, in just straight carbonfiber and I finally finished the G10/Ti composite one.
    The edge is carbidized so it handles most fibrous materials really well and stays sharper longer than a pure titanium edge does. It's a V-grind, not a chisel grind by the way.
    I'm currently selling it, since I need the cash and the going price is 200.
    Oh and I should perhaps point out that this type of construction was not my invention. The first one and probably the best one at making knives like this is Warren Thomas.

Rather than using a knife, why not use a pair of stainless utility scissors. They come in several sizes and are quite cheap. If they rust just throw them away and use another pair. Also it's hard for me to understand why you don't just give your knives or whatever a good rinse after being in salt water. It can't take more than a few seconds to pour a little fresh water over them and prevent most of the rust problems you are having.